Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:45 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I'd say far more than 50 percent of non-blacks see it that way. Almost all see blacks as less perfect than everyone else, no matter what. Almost all see whites as perfection, no matter what.
I would not go that far. I don't think a majority of non-Blacks see Blacks that way. However, Black people are looked down on and hated more than any other group in this country, and have been through worse than anyone else, besides Native Americans. I would say that there are more people who look down on Blacks vs those who look down on other groups. As a Black man it angers me alot, but there's nothing I can do about it. Not me personally. I can only be myself and do the best I can. What more could anyone ask of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 10:48 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would have to disagree with that. Most people who commit crimes know what they are doing. It isn't like they are too stupid to stop. People who are mentally retarded could be classified as "low IQ" and it isn't them committing crimes.
They may be guilty of magic thinking but most are not dumb.

Just look at drug gangs. Anybody running one has enough business skill to get an MBA.

There is a gang of thieves who steal wheels off of trucks in my town. They can put the trucks on neighboring landscaping material, and get 4 wheels off a pick up and be on down the road in 3 minutes flat. They come by with some regularity so I'm assuming they have route. They sometimes get the same pick up twice. Plenty of neighbors have put pictures on Next Door or some some kind of Ring notification.

The thieves know that lack of law enforcement in our town will keep them free. So who are the dumb ones? The crooks or the people who keep their 50K trucks in the driveway so they can fill their garages with crap nobody wants and also refuse to pay enough taxes to hire competent LEOs?

What do pick up wheels cost to replace? Will insurance premiums for all of us go up due to the payouts?

And some here think crooks are dumb?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
They may be guilty of magic thinking but most are not dumb.

Just look at drug gangs. Anybody running one has enough business skill to get an MBA.

There is a gang of thieves who steal wheels off of trucks in my town. They can put the trucks on neighboring landscaping material, and get 4 wheels off a pick up and be on down the road in 3 minutes flat. They come by with some regularity so I'm assuming they have route. They sometimes get the same pick up twice. Plenty of neighbors have put pictures on Next Door or some some kind of Ring notification.

The thieves know that lack of law enforcement in our town will keep them free. So who are the dumb ones? The crooks or the people who keep their 50K trucks in the driveway so they can fill their garages with crap nobody wants and also refuse to pay enough taxes to hire competent LEOs?

What do pick up wheels cost to replace? Will insurance premiums for all of us go up due to the payouts?

And some here think crooks are dumb?
What the freak. Albeit I should not be surprised. Many criminals have skills that could work well in a job. It's funny that you mentioned MBA. I read a story about a gang member who obtained an MBA, worked a decent job. He quit when he saw people with less education than him getting higher positions than him. He ended up becoming a gang leader. He found he had more pull as a drug dealer/gang leader than at his job. He wasn't stupid. He was angry and just stopped trying, feeling like "hard work will never get you anything ".

Alot of crooks learn how to game the system. Many don't care what happens to themselves. Alot of criminals aren't as stupid as they seem. Lack of law enforcement can encourage alot of crime. In the case you described, the methodical nature of said crimes really does involve little law enforcement. It also involves skill. They are professionals in stripping the wheels off of a car that fast. They likely understand the risk of getting caught. They've probably done this in other places with more and stricter law enforcement.

Alot of professional criminals aren't stupid. The armed robbers, smash and grab robbers, they are just reckless and don't care.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:54 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
When you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to lose.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
The crime rates reflect a minority of people rich and poor. Most people don't commit crimes. Most people have been a victim of some sort of crime. Probably 95% of all crimes go unsolved and unpunished. Police protecting the populace from criminals is pretty much a fairy tale. Many crimes are pursued more vigorously in poor neighborhoods, like drug use and drug dealing and various misdemeanors. I have known many white middle class people including myself who did illegal drugs in the last 50 years. Not one of them was ever arrested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And yet, millions of poor people every day manage not to commit a crime and blame it on poverty.

Last edited by bobspez; 02-20-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
When you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to lose.
This is true. Many criminals see themselves as having nothing to lose, therefore, nothing to stop them. Some don't care if they die or go to prison.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:45 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What the freak. Albeit I should not be surprised. Many criminals have skills that could work well in a job. It's funny that you mentioned MBA. I read a story about a gang member who obtained an MBA, worked a decent job. He quit when he saw people with less education than him getting higher positions than him. He ended up becoming a gang leader. He found he had more pull as a drug dealer/gang leader than at his job. He wasn't stupid. He was angry and just stopped trying, feeling like "hard work will never get you anything ".

Alot of crooks learn how to game the system. Many don't care what happens to themselves. Alot of criminals aren't as stupid as they seem. Lack of law enforcement can encourage alot of crime. In the case you described, the methodical nature of said crimes really does involve little law enforcement. It also involves skill. They are professionals in stripping the wheels off of a car that fast. They likely understand the risk of getting caught. They've probably done this in other places with more and stricter law enforcement.

Alot of professional criminals aren't stupid. The armed robbers, smash and grab robbers, they are just reckless and don't care.
Speaking of reckless, my grandson was diagnosed textbook Dyslexic ADHD around 5. His mom, an early childhood teacher, laughed as she told me he would be a cop or a robber. Risk taking behavior and career choices are limited for many. As he learned to read, the risk taking became less. He'll be a teacher for dyslexic kids.

Some of those criminals in jail cannot read. Perhaps if the could, they'd get real jobs.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:47 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL - I lived in poor black neighborhoods for the majority of my adult life - over 20 years. I've personally worked with police to reduce crime in my neighborhoods as I chaired a neighborhood committee of residents who worked with the city to do so. We decreased crime over 50%.

Crime has heavily decreased in America period since the 1990s when it was at its height. This was done because of poor black neighborhood residents working with police.

It is hilarious to me that many of you only view black people from internet and media sources and are obviously ignorant about reality. I've never seen a celeb or famous athlete in any neighborhood I lived in lol. Yet we decreased crime over 50%. They are not needed for working with local government or law enforcement on these endeavors.

FWIW the main topics/issues discussed with police about reducing crime was to 1 - have more "community policing" whereas the police walk or ride bikes around the neighborhood and get to know the people who lived there (police did do this intermittently); 2 - have a more open line of communication with our precinct/zone commanders office to let them know about any drug or crime activity so we wouldn't have to call 911 and get poor info relayed; 3 - have applicable PD personnel attend our committee/neighborhood watch meetings in order to know what is going on in the community that they served and so we knew who they were and knew who to call to get things resolved and; 4 - invited law enforcement officers to community celebrations attended by all age ranges of residents so that they would have a more positive presence in the community.

Our local PD in my neighborhood did all the above and as such, our elderly residents especially were able to contact them more directly and we informed them of all the drug hot spots and where certain criminals lived. Interestingly, the results of all that work over 6 years was, as noted, a decrease in crime, and a raising of tax rates to now many of those residents cannot afford the taxes on their homes and are in danger of being kicked out because now white people feel "safer" moving to that neighborhood. Typically when poor black people work to decrease crime, gentrifiers move in and then they are pushed out of the neighborhood.
BS story. Taxes don't just jump up on their own. There would also be a corresponding jump in home values which would benefit home owners. And you are not 'kicked out' if you own a home. You could borrow off the increased equity in your home if needed. If you are talking about section 8 people then tough ******* you got no one to blame but yourself for living off the dole.

In my town the police wanted to put a police substation in the ghetto neighborhood to help reduce crime. The local outlaws hooted and hollered and got the idea squashed. So my anecdotal story trumps yours.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:06 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
.... Taxes don't just jump up on their own. There would also be a corresponding jump in home values which would benefit home owners. And you are not 'kicked out' if you own a home. You could borrow off the increased equity in your home if needed. .
Of course taxes go up as the prices of houses in a neighborhood go up and all properties get reassessed. My property gets reassessed every year and the taxes go up every year. That happens in many neighborhoods but much faster in high demand neighborhoods with rising property values. So what do you do when you get older and your income gets lower? People do get to the point they can't keep up with the expenses and taxes and are forced to move, or move voluntarily when they see the future. Almost every retired person I know downsized and moved to lower COL areas, and bought houses that were newer and cost less, some much less, than the ones they sold.

And why should people whose real estate taxes go up uncomfortably borrow on the equity of their homes, and have to make mortgage payments? That makes no sense as a financial plan for retirement.

As far as the police I would say they are mostly legalized extortionists. They are above the law. People dislike and don't trust them for very valid reasons based on their own experiences. And I have had friends and co-workers who were and had been police and I know they were above the law. No policeman ever did anything good for me in over 70 years except one cop friend who pulled strings and got my fireman son out of jail, and charges dropped one night for fighting with police, when my son called me and I called my friend. Do you think some person without a cop friend would have gotten that outcome?

Last edited by bobspez; 02-20-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Speaking of reckless, my grandson was diagnosed textbook Dyslexic ADHD around 5. His mom, an early childhood teacher, laughed as she told me he would be a cop or a robber. Risk taking behavior and career choices are limited for many. As he learned to read, the risk taking became less. He'll be a teacher for dyslexic kids.

Some of those criminals in jail cannot read. Perhaps if the could, they'd get real jobs.
One thing about people who could not read or write is this. Many have dropped out of school. The teachers couldn't reach them, neither could the parents. In many cases the parents were no better educated. In some cases, abuse in the home was quite prevalent.

It's also not the same time as it was back in the old days. People who couldn't read and write worked on the farms, did menial labor in the factories. Nowadays, there are very few things you can do if you can't read or write. Funny you mention police officers. You must have at least a high school education to be an officer. It's a risk-taking behavior career, but you can't be illiterate.

If those criminals in prison could read or write, they could get better jobs. On the flip side, many of them can read and write, and some visit the law library in prison. Alot of criminal behavior, while heavily correlated to poor education and lack of skills, can also be correlated to anger issues and being vindictive. It's also correlated to being selfish and lacking empathy for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies