Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 05:52 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You do realize the logical fallacy here? The crime rate in any poor area isn't 100%. This has been studied for decades and the connections is quite clear. Lack of resources encourages individuals to walk a path of crime.

Part of my childhood was in a poor neighborhood as my parents immigrated here and worked towards establishing a new life. Many of my friends struggle and yes... some have gotten into trouble. Me... well.. I went to school, went to college, graduated, started my life.

Parents were educated from their native country and were eventually able to relocate to a more affluent area with better schools. It just took time to get on their feet. The difference is that I had access to resources and a better education. If I had continued in the same poor district, I would have been in a high school with a 50% drop out rate rather than the school I went to with a 90+% graduation rate.

The same cannot be said to my friends in the old neighborhood.

it is still the responsibility of each individual. But when push comes to shove, the mindset is to do what it takes to thrive...

There is no fallacy.

You can "encourage" someone to commit a crime all day.

Still up to them to actually do it.

Your logical fallacy is conflating correlation and causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:53 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
There are no rich people to rob so you got no way to buy your dope
At least in Northern New Jersey, you have affluent areas right next to poor... It is really strange. You literally have a relatively nice area one block from a place that seems like the ghetto. Unfortunately, it also means crime bleeds over to the neighboring areas.

In Dallas (used to live there), the drug epidemic was really bad in the poor areas of Dallas. No one reported it... everyone turned a blind eye. It was only after it spread into Plano and other affluent areas of Northern Dallas did it suddenly make big news as a terrible epidemic. Rich kids were getting involved... No one gave a crap about the inner city kids getting hooked on dope (ie heroin... in some locale it means marijuana) years prior.

Drug problems isn't just a poor neighborhood problem any longer....

Old 12-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
There is no fallacy.

You can "encourage" someone to commit a crime all day.

Still up to them to actually do it.

Your logical fallacy is conflating correlation and causation.
Well yes captain obvious. Of course crime requires an act... and an act requires an individual to commit it.

But people don't live outside of an environment... They live and are a part of it. They are influenced by it. Which is the core of this discussion. If you don't see the local fallacy in your statement that is your problem. All people in a poor area do not have to be criminals for the statement that there is a correlation between poverty and crime.. the topic of this thread to be true. You are assuming that making such correlation implies that there is no individual culpability to such behavior... you assumption is incorrect. Of course people are responsible for their actions... no one is arguing otherwise.

The correlation has been shown in studies over and over again... even loose observation of stats show that poor areas generally have higher crime rates. The question in this thread is the "why?".

Your statement of equating correlation to causation fallacy would only be true if we were talking at an individual level. .. again... false.

Last edited by usayit; 12-18-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 06:02 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
you are referring to PERSONAL crime of course mostly one on one...people go after whats immediately available just as rioters destroy their own neighborhoods duh...
now if one added the "white collar" bigger money crime one might find interesting numbers

Old 12-18-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Culture, disfunction, single parent households...bad habits are passed on and can be hard to break.

I always think about the Adverse Childhood Experience score (ACE). 10 questions are asked about abuse, neglect, your parents' drug and alcohol habits, etc. The more you answer yes to, the higher your score, obviously.

So a very interesting fact on that - not all people with a high ACE score are in prison, but almost all people in prison have a high ACE score. Hmmmmm...
Agreed...... When a family falls down the social ladder and ends up in an area with lack of resources, then addressing those bad habits including drugs and alcohol abuse becomes increasingly difficult. Once an entire generation passes by, the children know of no other life. There's an old saying... "You can take a person out of the ghetto but you can't get the ghetto out of the person". There is a lot of truth to that... I've seen it in person.. stark difference between behaviors I've witnessed between friends and acquaintances from two different neighborhoods.

The same can be said about mental illness... there is a higher incidence of homelessness in inner cities resulting from mental illness and the lack of resources to address the problem.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm referring to crimes like robberies,burglaries, assaults,homicides and drug dealing. How can these crimes be reduced in poor areas?
High crime levels breeds poverty. End the crime and prosperity can return.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
... because prosperous people will return.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I don't think it is as simple as that.... crime and poverty feed off each other. A lot of crime is the direct result of groups of people incapable (for one reason or another) to meet their basic needs (legally).

Certainly you are right in respect to business (thus opportunity)... it certainly doesn't encourage businesses to establish. Stopping crime does help in gentrification... but that isn't really lifting the neighborhood but rather displacing it. So you aren't really solving poverty but rather just pushing somewhere else. The reality is that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:50 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It's not. Or barely is. I've lived in poor White areas with little crime. I lived in poor Latino areas with little crime. In poor Asian areas with little crime. I left out one race from this list for a reason. Can't be said about them.
There can be a big city vs small town difference with this.

I live in a town west of Atlanta. Growing up I often saw on the news the reports of homicides and robberies in parts of Atlanta. The types of crimes happening in ATL were rare in my town. Even in the mostly Black housing projects in my town shootings and homicides are rare. This makes me wonder if larger city environments combined with poverty creates a more aggressive environment than what you'll find in poor areas in small towns?

Old 12-18-2019, 06:52 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm referring to crimes like robberies,burglaries, assaults,homicides and drug dealing. How can these crimes be reduced in poor areas?
Have people teach their children respect and having good policing and court hearings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies