Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some of my left-leaning friends took to social media last night and posted joyous, celebratory messages about the historic impeachment vote against President Trump in the House of Representatives. I wish I could have shared in their enthusiasm, but I was immediately awash under a wave of doom and gloom. I actually went to bed in a state of depression. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for the last 4 or 5 years. In my nightmares, I have seen how this thing ends, and it’s no cause for glee unless you want to see our government completely overhauled and our Constitution dismantled and stripped out for parts.

Christianity will be made the official state religion (that’s right, Catholic friends, you may think you are in the good graces of the GOP, but just wait until they have gotten what they need from you…). Women’s rights will be turned back to the 1950s. Wilderness areas will be raped for their natural resources and climate change will accelerate as corporations will be freed up to dump their pollution with impunity.

I have seen these things come to pass in my nightmares. These visions are so clear to me that I fully expect most of them to come to fruition.

I pray with every fiber of my being that I turn out to be wrong.

But pardon me if I don’t get excited about the impeachment.

Signed,

A very concerned Christ follower

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/shanep...aign=FBCP-PATH

This goes pretty far down the rabbit hole but I do fear for this planet under Trumps presidency for sure. The idea of this Christianity being the OFFICIAL religion?
It would take much longer then Trump has left in office to do even if he wins another term. Besides I think trying to push one religion onto people would start a civil war.

Might make for good theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Some of my left-leaning friends took to social media last night and posted joyous, celebratory messages about the historic impeachment vote against President Trump in the House of Representatives. I wish I could have shared in their enthusiasm, but I was immediately awash under a wave of doom and gloom. I actually went to bed in a state of depression. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for the last 4 or 5 years. In my nightmares, I have seen how this thing ends, and it’s no cause for glee unless you want to see our government completely overhauled and our Constitution dismantled and stripped out for parts.

Christianity will be made the official state religion (that’s right, Catholic friends, you may think you are in the good graces of the GOP, but just wait until they have gotten what they need from you…). Women’s rights will be turned back to the 1950s. Wilderness areas will be raped for their natural resources and climate change will accelerate as corporations will be freed up to dump their pollution with impunity.

I have seen these things come to pass in my nightmares. These visions are so clear to me that I fully expect most of them to come to fruition.

Signed,

This goes pretty far down the rabbit hole but I do fear for this planet under Trumps presidency for sure. The idea of this Christianity being the OFFICIAL religion?
It would take much longer then Trump has left in office to do even if he wins another term. Besides I think trying to push one religion onto people would start a civil war.
Can't disagree with your predictions about where this will likely go into the future. But have to disagree with your reaction to it. Even if every thing you describe comes to pass, consider that we have had a pretty good run here in America; what made you think that would last forever?

Just pick up any history book and you can find endless examples of modern countries that have experienced all that and far worse. Look at Germany, France and Great Britain in WWII. Millions went to their deaths, cities were reduced to rubble, they came close to being under the boot of a Nazi dictator. This was a mere 80 years ago in wealthy well-educated countries not so different that the USA today.

Even here in America, a mere 160 years ago we fought a civil war on our own soil that killed over 600,000 wounded millions and obliterated many towns and cities. Just 90 years ago the Great Depression brought incredible suffering and destroyed our entire economy.

We have survived all of those things and we will also survive the destruction that a Trump re-election will bring to us.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 12-19-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't know about all of the melodrama in the OP. I am concerned that we've turned a corner and every president from here on out will be subject to impeachment for the most minor of reasons. It's been weaponized and I'm not sure if you can put that toothpaste back in the tube on that one. Hopefully cooler heads and rationality and non-partisanship will prevail in the coming years.
President Regan had the same issue decades back with dems trying to impeach him so this with President Trump isn't the first time they've pulled stunts like this, and it won't be the last either.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/de...op-presidents/

Old 12-19-2019, 10:45 AM

1,086 posts, read 442,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm not a huge Trump fan, but the democrats are absolute fools.
A Trump reelection and control of both chambers. All gifted by the Democrats.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:45 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
We have a lot of people out there that believe the First Amendment only applies to specific types of Christianity and that it's permissible for the government to enforce religious morals on non-believers. These are the types of judges Trump is nominating. It's not paranoia. It's in the GOP platform.
There are still people out there that believe the Earth is flat and that the moon landing was faked. They are the same ones that think the government can (or would) enforce religious morals on anyone.

By religious morals you are speaking specifically about abortion, and that argument is as old as the hills. The left wants to be able to leave newborns to die on a table if they're not wanted and the right believes they have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I don't know that there is a middle ground, e.g. a point where you can say it's okay to terminate a life.

Of course Trump would nominate more conservative judges. That goes without saying. All that means, basically, is that they will enforce the Constitution as it's written with strict interpretation, as it should be. If we've learned anything from the whack-a-doodle liberal judges it's that the Constitution doesn't mean a thing and that their rulings are not based on law, but rather on liberal ideology.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:

Signed,

I'm happy and elated! The Hunter got captured by the Game! Payback is so sweet?

Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:

Signed,

reed, perhaps call your doctor or your therapist? you need some help.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
reed, you aren't thinking clearly. perhaps call your doctor or your therapist? you need some help.
I’m amused that you all think i has anything to do with the article.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:55 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
I’m amused that you all think i has anything to do with the article.
I missed the reference in your post. I see now your original post wasn't your thoughts.

i'm glad it isn't you who feels the way the person who wrote it feels. I feel sorry for the author and hope they get some help. they are in a desperately unhealthy place.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post

By religious morals you are speaking specifically about abortion, and that argument is as old as the hills. The left wants to be able to leave newborns to die on a table if they're not wanted and the right believes they have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I don't know that there is a middle ground, e.g. a point where you can say it's okay to terminate a life.
Well so far this is THE MOST IGNORANT statement made today. People want a right to choose more to the point WOMEN want the right to choose. Unless your a woman it’s best to drop this but if you like talking out your arse then carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies