Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some of my left-leaning friends took to social media last night and posted joyous, celebratory messages about the historic impeachment vote against President Trump in the House of Representatives. I wish I could have shared in their enthusiasm, but I was immediately awash under a wave of doom and gloom. I actually went to bed in a state of depression. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for the last 4 or 5 years. In my nightmares, I have seen how this thing ends, and it’s no cause for glee unless you want to see our government completely overhauled and our Constitution dismantled and stripped out for parts.

Christianity will be made the official state religion (that’s right, Catholic friends, you may think you are in the good graces of the GOP, but just wait until they have gotten what they need from you…). Women’s rights will be turned back to the 1950s. Wilderness areas will be raped for their natural resources and climate change will accelerate as corporations will be freed up to dump their pollution with impunity.

I have seen these things come to pass in my nightmares. These visions are so clear to me that I fully expect most of them to come to fruition.

I pray with every fiber of my being that I turn out to be wrong.

But pardon me if I don’t get excited about the impeachment.

Signed,

A very concerned Christ follower

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/shanep...aign=FBCP-PATH

This goes pretty far down the rabbit hole but I do fear for this planet under Trumps presidency for sure. The idea of this Christianity being the OFFICIAL religion?
It would take much longer then Trump has left in office to do even if he wins another term. Besides I think trying to push one religion onto people would start a civil war.

Wow! You REALLY worry about such things?

My friend, you are suffering from anxiety. I worry about essentially nothing- I have had cancer X2 and understand that the things people worry about never come to fruition.

You need to relax and stop listening to television and radio news. Doing so would make one anxious, paranoid, and unhappy. Read a book- go for a walk- enjoy nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Can't disagree with your predictions about where this will likely go into the future. But have to disagree with your reaction to it. Even if every thing you describe comes to pass, consider that we have had a pretty good run here in America; what made you think that would last forever?

Just pick up any history book and you can find endless examples of modern countries that have experienced all that and far worse. Look at Germany, France and Great Britain in WWII. Millions went to their deaths, cities were reduced to rubble, they came close to being under the boot of a Nazi dictator. This was a mere 80 years ago in wealthy well-educated countries not so different that the USA today.

Even here in America, a mere 160 years ago we fought a civil war on our own soil that killed over 600,000 wounded millions and obliterated many towns and cities. Just 90 years ago the Great Depression brought incredible suffering and destroyed our entire economy.

We have survived all of those things and we will also survive the destruction that a Trump re-election will bring to us.
I think that the person who wrote the article was/is a historian. No nothing last forever but I do believe we are headed down the path much like Ancient Rome went down. Maybe not in my lifetime but at some point. Yes, this country will survive Trump to be sure, I’m more scared of Pence then Trump to be honest which is why I rather see Trump voted out not forced to step down.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:16 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow! You REALLY worry about such things?

My friend, you are suffering from anxiety. I worry about essentially nothing- I have had cancer X2 and understand that the things people worry about never come to fruition.

You need to relax and stop listening to television and radio news. Doing so would make one anxious, paranoid, and unhappy. Read a book- go for a walk- enjoy nature.
Um if you can read I have stated that I DIDN’T write the article. And for the record I don’t watch tv. And I’m on here a lot less then those who spend every waking moment defending Trump.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:18 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
[quote=reed067;56901131]Some of my left-leaning friends took to social media last night and posted joyous, celebratory messages about the historic impeachment "

to me this proves the left don't care about right or wrong, or the constitution it was all about a political victory at someone they hate.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:21 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some of my left-leaning friends took to social media last night and posted joyous, celebratory messages about the historic impeachment vote against President Trump in the House of Representatives. I wish I could have shared in their enthusiasm, but I was immediately awash under a wave of doom and gloom. I actually went to bed in a state of depression. I’ve seen the writing on the wall for the last 4 or 5 years. In my nightmares, I have seen how this thing ends, and it’s no cause for glee unless you want to see our government completely overhauled and our Constitution dismantled and stripped out for parts.

Christianity will be made the official state religion (that’s right, Catholic friends, you may think you are in the good graces of the GOP, but just wait until they have gotten what they need from you…). Women’s rights will be turned back to the 1950s. Wilderness areas will be raped for their natural resources and climate change will accelerate as corporations will be freed up to dump their pollution with impunity.

I have seen these things come to pass in my nightmares. These visions are so clear to me that I fully expect most of them to come to fruition.

I pray with every fiber of my being that I turn out to be wrong.

But pardon me if I don’t get excited about the impeachment.

Signed,

A very concerned Christ follower

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/shanep...aign=FBCP-PATH

This goes pretty far down the rabbit hole but I do fear for this planet under Trumps presidency for sure. The idea of this Christianity being the OFFICIAL religion?
It would take much longer then Trump has left in office to do even if he wins another term. Besides I think trying to push one religion onto people would start a civil war.
duh...guess you don't realize Catholics are Christians. Who puts your socks on every morning? Wonder about the IQ of some of these posters ...gotta be in the 50's

Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. This was my sentiment last night. This impeachment, given the current power dynamic in the Senate and state legislatures and the current power of the Christian Right, has sealed our future as being something between 'A Handmaid's Tale' and 'V for Vendetta.' Trump will win again and democracy will not survive his second term. A few states may join Canada. For the rest, a dark future awaits.

And I also agree on Catholicism. Right now, Catholics and Baptists are only allies because of abortion. It hasn't always been this way and won't be in the near future.
You guys are such drama queens, lol!

Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
duh...guess you don't realize Catholics are Christians. Who puts your socks on every morning?
Southern Baptists have historically disagreed. The Baptist-conservative Catholic alliance that is the core of the current Christian Right is a recent development. Religious conservatives in the Bible Belt were very concerned about John F. Kennedy being President because he was a Catholic.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Catholics are Christians. Geeze

Old 12-19-2019, 11:28 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Southern Baptists have historically disagreed. The Baptist-conservative Catholic alliance that is the core of the current Christian Right is a recent development. Religious conservatives in the Bible Belt were very concerned about John F. Kennedy being President because he was a Catholic.
Catholics don't ask Southern baptists what they are. Do you ask SB's what you are?

When you get the Pope to say Catholics aren't Christians, get back to me.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:29 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:

i.e. "I know I was called out for being wrong. I'll never admit it. So I'll make up bull**** about 10s of millions of people I don't know as a distraction and to look smart.".

You were burnt. Thinking that Catholic /= Christian. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies