Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIpnxgdzTU

Cop was arrested and charged..
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/sh...-face-instead/

I don't hate cops, and I know they're under pressure on the job, but they need to revamp training so they're not all gung-ho..

Old 12-19-2019, 11:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

I don't hate cops, and I know they're under pressure on the job, but they need to revamp training so they're not all gung-ho..
They need to be held accountable and not the tax payers.

"According to Kansas.com, Betts was the first cop in decades to be charged in an on-duty shooting that resulted in an injury or death.

In January, Betts was placed on administrative leave after discharging his firearm inside a family’s home—in the cowardly attempt to kill a dog. Then, in an actual moment of accountability, Officer Betts was fired and in March he was charged."

baby steps.....

Old 12-20-2019, 12:12 AM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Most cops are all the tough guy losers you went to highschool with. Little respect for many of them.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:15 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
I don't know what the big deal with dogs is, if you are on someone elses private property you should not go around shooting their animals unless violently attacked. As for firearns there are so many local small police departments in the US that the traning often varies.

Such videos are just upsetting.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:35 AM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't know what the big deal with dogs is, if you are on someone elses private property you should not go around shooting their animals unless violently attacked. As for firearns there are so many local small police departments in the US that the traning often varies.

Training is fairly standardized amongst the depts; see dog, shoot dog.

And once it becomes policy, the officer can be held blameless by saying he was "following procedure"

Old 12-20-2019, 04:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The dog was attacking him, most likely because he was trying to protect the child. I’m not saying the cop was right. He wasn’t, he neglected to consider that he was endangering a child by discharging his weapon near her. Yes, he should be fired, as he clearly failed to show good judgement under pressure. I don’t think he should be charged.

The physical threat to officers by dogs is real, primarily because dogs are loyal protective companions. My 7-pound dog would try to attack someone who he thought threatened me, and his threshold for threatening me is very low, including sins like walking too near us on a sidewalk. I can’t imagine how easily he’d be triggered by an uninvited cop in the house talking in threatening tones. At seven pounds a kick would stop him in his tracks, but if my 60+ pounder Pitt mix had ever decided to protect me it probably would have taken a gun.

In a study done in London for one year, police officers were bitten by dogs 260 times and by humans 1021 times, requiring medical care beyond sanitizing cleaning and/or shots in 451 of the cases. However, the most serious cases all involved dog bites, some requiring months of medical care and a few resulted in disability pensions.

There is a looming cop shortage, by the way. https://www.npr.org/2018/12/12/67535...g-cop-shortage

Old 12-20-2019, 05:07 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Most cops are all the tough guy losers you went to highschool with. Little respect for many of them.
Uh, no. Those like you described are a distinct small minority. Given their jobs and number of interactions, if even half were like you described, there would be a shooting in every county every day by cops.

It only takes 5% of cops being bad to get the numbers we have given that 90% will not report on the 5% bad ones.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,310 times
It’s simple, never trust a cop.
They don’t protect or serve.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:32 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

In a study done in London for one year, police officers were bitten by dogs 260 times and by humans 1021 times, requiring medical care beyond sanitizing cleaning and/or shots in 451 of the cases. However, the most serious cases all involved dog bites, some requiring months of medical care and a few resulted in disability pensions.
The study showed that police were three times as likely to be bitten by people than dogs and that the 260 figure was over 3 years, and it should be nored that the Metreoolitan Police has around 32,000 full time frontline officers and several thousand auxillary police officers (PCSO's and Special Constables).

UK Police carry none lethals such as pepper spray and taser, and have spithoods in relation and restrains in relation to violent offenders, whilst police are issued with bite-back spray in relation to dogs. Bite-back a special spray that is designed to stop dogs without causing lasting damage to them and is also issued to postal workers in the UK and other vulnerable workers.

As for firearms, the armed police in Great Britain, are generally full time foirearms officers wgho undetgo continual training and assessment and firearms is seen as a speciality, with the vast majority of officers only patrolling with non-lethals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun

A freedom of information request also found that 70 other bites by animals, including fleas, were recorded.

The Metropolitan Police, West Midlands Police and the British Transport Police recorded the most attacks on their officers by offenders.

BTP has seen over 100 bites inflicted on cops and only eight dog bites.

While the Met Police recorded 1021 human bites and 260 dog bites in three years and has seen 451 officers need attention for the wounds caused by offenders.

Police officers are bitten ‘THREE times more by humans than by dogs’, probe claims - The Sun (2018)

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-20-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 07:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Totally agree. What happened here is not acceptable. The law enforcement agencies need to get it through their heads that people have dogs and dogs protect their people.
And putting children's lives at risk at this. Definitely need to revamp certain aspects of job training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies