Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 11:13 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Part of the bill signed yesterday mandated a nationwide 21 year old requirement to buy cigarettes. Only 19 states have found that to be agreeable yet the Federal government is forcing them to comply now with a national standard. A new 12 week paid maternity benefit for federal workers is also now law. How long will it before it is extended to private employers? These are two long desired Democratic goals. The federal mandate on smokes is almost Obama-esque in it's concept and reach. It makes me wonder if Trump, once a New York Democrat, is starting to pivot back to his roots as he approaches a second term. For those of you who have not watched and listened to him over the years, he has a lot of leftist ideas in that old head of his. Maybe we will get a liberal either way in 2020.
I’m not really convinced that the cigarette law is a Dem invention. In my lifetime, the party that put curbs on alcohol/drugs have been Republican. This started in the early 80s with Nancy Reagan’s criminalization of drugs (Ecstasy), raising of National drinking age 21 in the early 80s. Most recently, Dem-led states have liberalized marijuana use, but the repressive Fed Govt (currently led by Repubs) has put clamps on that too.
Paid Parental Leave is proof of his idiocy and lust to get his daughter’s attention/love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 05:33 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Does it matter? Neither team has consistent principles and will swap positions whenever deemed advantageous.
See: Dems supporting war, GOPers supporting welfare

Both teams support the criminalization of vices

Old 12-27-2019, 02:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Big government republicans back at it again..

Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
The new age laws took effect around here yesterday, we had to put notices on the door letting customers know about the new age limit to buy cigarettes.

I saw a group of teens in the store today at work, one of them mentioned the new law and wondered if he would be able to buy cigarettes ( Im assuming he was under 21), so another kid in their group, (who apparently was 21), told him not to worry, just give him the money and he will buy them for him!

A lot of good this new law will do! Kids have already figured out how to get around it! LOL

Old 12-28-2019, 04:05 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If people under 21 aren't mature enough to abstain from things that are unhealthy, is the next over 21 edict going to be soda? Whoppers?

Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It makes me wonder if Trump, once a New York Democrat, is starting to pivot back to his roots as he approaches a second term.
Well no matter how far back you go, I don't think you'll ever find a version of Trump that wanted a high corporate tax.
Lowering the corporate tax to 21% has always been what Trump wanted, and that is not a Democrat idea.
And Trump was always in favor of deregulation, so the opposite of Obama.

And Trump was a Republican in the 1980s-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8wJc7vHcTs

Old 12-28-2019, 04:53 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Big government republicans back at it again..
Nearly 100% of Democrat politicians support anti-tobacco laws and bans. It's much more mixed for Republicans but in recent years they have become more like Democrats in this area. I think this is because Republicans have unfortunately become more liberal. They no longer are concerned about cutting spending so they end up becoming Democrat lite as they really don't stand for anything.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The new age laws took effect around here yesterday, we had to put notices on the door letting customers know about the new age limit to buy cigarettes.

I saw a group of teens in the store today at work, one of them mentioned the new law and wondered if he would be able to buy cigarettes ( Im assuming he was under 21), so another kid in their group, (who apparently was 21), told him not to worry, just give him the money and he will buy them for him!

A lot of good this new law will do! Kids have already figured out how to get around it! LOL
Just like they do with alcohol, pot...

Old 12-28-2019, 05:49 AM

And you cant have an effective nanny state without a police state
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...32279091179521

Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I'm thinking this could ultimately be a trojan horse used as ammunition for voter suppression against demographics that Republicans don't want voting. As some on this thread have pointed out, there isn't consistency among what can be done at different ages (drive, vote, serve in the military, sign contracts, buy tobacco, etc.).

I wouldn't put it past some of these politicians to say "We just want to make the voting age consistent with other recognized milestones for being an adult, so let's have a Constitutional amendment to raise the voting age to 21(or beyond)." Some right wing pundits even want to raise it well beyond 21 (which there was another thread on), which is absurd, but they're doing this to further skew the demographics of people who vote for them in their favor. I will go on record that if I suspected Democrats of voter suppression, I would call them out on it too.

Ann Coulter - November 10, 2010 - REPEAL THE 26TH AMENDMENT!

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-age-30-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies