Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:01 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times

Advertisements

What a stupid new law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Cannot remember which state (California? Texas?) exempts active duty military with ID between the ages of 18 and 20.

If they are old enough to enlist and die for the country, they should be able to smoke if that is their choice.

Edit: We have a friend (civilian) who works in the Commissary at local Army Depot. Yes, they sell cigarettes, but nobody without Military ID is allowed in there.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:21 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Cannot remember which state (California? Texas?) exempts active duty military with ID between the ages of 18 and 20.

If they are old enough to enlist and die for the country, they should be able to smoke if that is their choice.
military or no, the law shouldnt exist for anyone.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If people under 21 aren't mature enough to abstain from things that are unhealthy, is the next over 21 edict going to be soda? Whoppers?
Yup.....the nanny staters will make you healthy. I have noticed a great many people support this new law. Many baby boomers and Gen Xers like me are saying yes restrict smoking to 21. However boomers and Xers smoked like chimneys back when we were 18. It’s so easy to use the power of government to restrict the freedoms of others but we fail to see the big picture. Health and safety advocates could most certainly cite obesity related deaths to pass laws restricting the consumption of fast food in the future. We all could be eating government mandated vegetables in place of fried food for “our own good”.

I also ask how many 19 year olds will accumulate criminal records over this. How many 8 dollar and hour store clerks will be charged for being fooled by 20 year old smokers? Enforcement of this stupid law could harm people’s lives. We all know that youth will refuse to obey this law just as they already do the drinking age. Why are we going to permanently mar their records for this when nearly everyone of us drank and smoked at 19. No one follows a law they do not respect.

Some of what fuels all this restrictive attitudes towards today’s youth is our hatred of the millennial generation. I am no fan of them myself for many reasons but it is wrongheaded to restrict the personal freedoms of American citizens. That has ramifications for all of us.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
How is this not sending the message to younger people, that cigarettes are safe, as long as you wait until you are 21 or older?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How is this not sending the message to younger people, that cigarettes are safe, as long as you wait until you are 21 or older?
I would hope no one is so ignorant that they believe cigarettes are safe, almost everyone knows that they are not. What this is about is a free citizens choice to engage in un healthy behavior without nanny staters using federal or state law to manage their lives for them. In my opinion we should have the right to choose to accept the risk to do something dangerous or unhealthy without the interference of government as long as said behavior does not cause risk to others. Age and the infantilization of our young adults (a trend in our nation) is the mechanism being used to infringe upon the rights of others.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would hope no one is so ignorant that they believe cigarettes are safe, almost everyone knows that they are not. What this is about is a free citizens choice to engage in un healthy behavior without nanny staters using federal or state law to manage their lives for them. In my opinion we should have the right to choose to accept the risk to do something dangerous or unhealthy without the interference of government as long as said behavior does not cause risk to others. Age and the infantilization of our young adults (a trend in our nation) is the mechanism being used to infringe upon the rights of others.
If that is accurate, then why do people accept and largely support the new restrictions on opioid prescription drugs? Why arent people free to engage in using those 'dangerous and unhealthy' drugs.

I abused prescription painkiller for many years, never once did it present any threat to anyone else in the community.

Seems to me, there is a doubt standard here, we accept tough restrictions on 'SOME' drugs/substances,(due to safety), but not with others.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
If that is accurate, then why do people accept and largely support the new restrictions on opioid prescription drugs? Why arent people free to engage in using those 'dangerous and unhealthy' drugs.

I abused prescription painkiller for many years, never once did it present any threat to anyone else in the community.

Seems to me, there is a doubt standard here, we accept tough restrictions on 'SOME' drugs/substances,(due to safety), but not with others.
I think there is a big difference between hard drugs and things like cigarettes or alcohol. Hard drugs harm society at large. Drug users commit most crime, they use far more public resources and they can be a danger to others when they are high. Anyone associated with law enforcement will agree with that statement. Cigarette smokers do not rob people, nor does their habit effect anyone but their own health typically. The only harm they do to us as a society is maybe raise the cost of healthcare but all people who do not eat healthy and exercise do that as well.

Drugs are illegal because of the mass harm they cause to everyone. Smokers and drug users are not even in the same universe.

Congratulations on kicking your opioid habit. I know that had to be a hard thing to do.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Quote:

Opioids were only approved as prescription drugs to begin with. The FDA sets the rules for what circumstances a doctor can prescribe a given drug under. Purdue Pharma lied to the FDA that OxyContin was less addictive than it really was, resulting in the opioid epidemic.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:41 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
No because Trump is putting America first, and that alone is ticking all of the liberals off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies