Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 11:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Opioids were only approved as prescription drugs to begin with. The FDA sets the rules for what circumstances a doctor can prescribe a given drug under. Purdue Pharma lied to the FDA that OxyContin was less addictive than it really was, resulting in the opioid epidemic.
Tobacco companies did the exact same thing decades ago.

There is advertising material from the 50s that claims certains brands of cigarettes are 'better for you' than others, they even had doctors making these statements!

How was the tobacco industry punished for doing the exact same thing the pharma guys did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 12:34 AM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Tobacco companies did the exact same thing decades ago.

There is advertising material from the 50s that claims certains brands of cigarettes are 'better for you' than others, they even had doctors making these statements!

How was the tobacco industry punished for doing the exact same thing the pharma guys did?
The SCOTUS ruled 5-4 that the FDA can’t regulate tobacco the way it regulates pharmaceuticals.

Of interest to me is that all the justices who ruled that the FDA can’t regulate tobacco also ruled in favor of the Citizens United decision while all the justices who ruled that the FDA can regulate tobacco ruled against the Citizens United decision.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/98-1152.ZS.html

Old 12-29-2019, 12:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
I do like how many of the articles about this are pinning this on congress.
https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/congress-ra...tobacco-use-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Bases generally go by state law/host country law on these matters, there is some legal term for it but forget. Many countries overseas, an 18 year old in the military can buy beer on base because that is the drinking age in the country, whereas back in the US they would not be able to for example.
Actually when it comes to military members they have to abide by federal law...which on base is 21 for alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im pretty sure the military forces still carry and sell cigarettes at their stores, 'Commissary' I think they are called?
They sell it at the PX/BX, the Class 6's and gas stations on the post/base. At some posts/bases they do sell it at the commissary.
Even then they have to go by federal law because it's classified as federal land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Big government republicans back at it again..
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...n=1&vote=00428
From what I've seen the House Democrats were pretty big on this whole vote too. So there is plenty of blame to go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Cannot remember which state (California? Texas?) exempts active duty military with ID between the ages of 18 and 20.

If they are old enough to enlist and die for the country, they should be able to smoke if that is their choice.

Edit: We have a friend (civilian) who works in the Commissary at local Army Depot. Yes, they sell cigarettes, but nobody without Military ID is allowed in there.
Yes some commissaries do sell cigarettes. Most that I've been in do not.
The installation commander makes the decision on if people show their ID's as they come in to these locations to shop. However at commissaries, they scan your ID card for you to make purchases.

I do agree though that if one is old enough to enlist, they should be able to smoke.

The flip side there are many who are getting really sick and some dying from vaping. I personally hate vaping and can support this law on the vaping.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post

Actually when it comes to military members they have to abide by federal law...which on base is 21 for alcohol.

There is no federal drinking age. The Minimum Drinking Age Act directed states to set a minimum purchasing age of 21, so it is still a state law only.

And as I stated, bases follow in general the laws of the state or host country. This is why an 18 year old cannot drink on a base in the US, but yet can drink at one in the UK.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
There is no federal drinking age. The Minimum Drinking Age Act directed states to set a minimum purchasing age of 21, so it is still a state law only.

And as I stated, bases follow in general the laws of the state or host country. This is why an 18 year old cannot drink on a base in the US, but yet can drink at one in the UK.
Its interesting how California despite leaning far left decided to exempt military members from the new smoking product purchase age which I bet was a move to bring it in line with newly legalized recreational Marijuana, apparently they don't set the minimum purchasing age at 18 instead for marijuana despite their liberalness, but don't want an political uproar from the left should the tobacco purchase age be left at 18 but one must be 21 to purchase pot, with the whole tobacco more harmful than pot argument. Though I be curious why not just exempt stores on base for tobacco purchase age instead. Apparently stores on base are already exempt from some state laws already just as with stores on Indian land in CA. California might as well have added a law prohibiting endorsing/permitting military recruiting aimed at under 21s on high school or college/university campuses too. As kids might think its kewl to join the military because they could smoke underaged. Not to mention all the other issues mentioned by the other posters about youngsters being brainwashed to join the military to possibly die without being mature enough to weigh on the decision.

Though I am guessing currently people other than military members hooked on tobacco/nicotine at 18-19 better think twice about moving to or even making extended visits to California. Though I be curious since the states had to be coerced to set the drinking age or age to purchase or order alcohol at 21 or above, as it was beyond the scope of the federal government power under the federalist system to set such an age directly on whats supposed to be under state jurisdiction. The feds then made it a point to withdraw highway funding from noncompliant states to coerce them to raise the drinking age within their jurisdiction. Makes me guess are they going to do the same for tobacco age too, maybe since this is not a road safety issue they might withdraw federal funding to hybrid federal/state programs such as Medicaid? Or will this age limit apply only apply to vendors within the direct jurisdiction of the federal government i.e military bases, federal buildings/land, NPS, National monuments, Midway islands, border crossings, etc.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-29-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-29-2019, 10:00 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:

It MAY start as a Fed law, but it’s possible that the Feds might coerce the states to enforce it by withholding highway money like they did in the early 80s. Texas raised the drinking age to 19 ((eventually 21) thanks to MADD (Mother’s against Drunk Driving) and Nancy Reagan. LOUISIANA let 17-year olds drink UNTIL the Feds withheld their $. Then, they were forced to do it to.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:45 AM

586 posts, read 314,422 times
Default 21 year old smoking age. Is Trump becoming a Democrat again?

No. The reality is that smoking is a deadly habit and if the tax revenue stream from tobacco wasn't so big, tobacco products would have been made illegal long a go.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think there is a big difference between hard drugs and things like cigarettes or alcohol. Hard drugs harm society at large. Drug users commit most crime, they use far more public resources and they can be a danger to others when they are high. Anyone associated with law enforcement will agree with that statement. Cigarette smokers do not rob people, nor does their habit effect anyone but their own health typically. The only harm they do to us as a society is maybe raise the cost of healthcare but all people who do not eat healthy and exercise do that as well.

Drugs are illegal because of the mass harm they cause to everyone. Smokers and drug users are not even in the same universe.

Congratulations on kicking your opioid habit. I know that had to be a hard thing to do.
Drug addicts commit crimes in order to get more drugs though, its not like they are just going on a crime spree for the fun of it...they rob and steal to get money for drugs.

So, actually, its the drug laws themselves, that are causing alot of this crime, the whole industry is unregulated and tax free...of course there is going to be crime associated with it!!

For proof of this, look at what happened after prohibition on alcohol was ended...how many people today rob and steal, or commit crimes in order to buy alcohol? Ending prohibition also put an end to the criminal association, no black market for alcohol today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies