Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Read the replies that got us here.

Also owning capital as liquidity is different from loaning and investment banking.
Ah, the plot thickens. So JP Morgan wasn't into investment banking?? My reading of history shows he was almost the singular figure.....

Next you will come up with the amazing historical situation saying that the Germans were responsible for much of the advancement of metalwork, printing and machinery.....and somehow tie that to...what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 08:34 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is a very good question. I lived in New York for years and will attempt an answer.

Firstly, the obvious.

NYC has a very, very large social welfare state with the inevitable high taxes and cost that go with it. New York is a great place to be rich, obviously, but not the worst place to be poor. Middle class is a bit more difficult. A hallmark of liberal places like California or even Sweden.

Secondly, NYC is full of one-issue voters. I always like to illustrate it by comparing two people I knew quite well.

The first was a fella I worked with. Call him Bob. Bob was always loud and critical about the welfare state in NYC. Always critical about lazy people on welfare. Never got racial, but one could draw inferences. Now one might peg Bob as GOP through and through. Nope. Bob was equally loud about he voted Democrat and nothing else. Bob was Gay.

The second was an ex's father. Let's call him Jack. Jack was a guy who went to Mass every Sunday. He too resented the welfare state. More so he despised the criminal element and called for firing squads. Hated the decadence that pervaded NY. Not to fond of Jews either. Republican? Nope, Democrat again. Jack was a member of a Union.

The irony is Bob and Jack would never have hit it off yet voted for the same party and people.
Interesting anecdotes, and I too have known people like that in NYC.

The bolded in your post also reminded me of Jeannette Walls's book The Glass Castle. For those who haven't read it, Walls grew up poor in WV without running water and at times homeless in the desert out west but became a CNBC anchorwoman living on Park Avenue in Manhattan. One day she saw a woman rooting through a garbage can in the city and realized it was her mother. Her parents had relocated to Manhattan because "it is so easy to be homeless here".

Old 12-23-2019, 08:39 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
I can't wait for the next thread "Why is San Francisco considered left wing?"

Old 12-23-2019, 10:57 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
I have always thought of it this ways. the larger a city is it has growing demands on infrastructure, policing, regulations to keep things running smoothly. Due to supply and demand housing often becomes an issue as the people at the lower end of the economic scale cannot afford housing cost based on supply and demand. All these things contribute to the need for a more powerful government and greater control by a bureaucracy to manage these things. It also creates a need for a greater social welfare net to help those who cannot survive in such high density areas without some type of Government assistance. This type of help is thought of as Liberal Ideology and the Democratic Party is the Party most often thought of as willing to provide this type of help. People in the Cities grow up with all this Government running their day to day lives so it seems more natural to them that Government is so involved in their lives. If you live in Small Town America you have much less need for Government to live your day to day lives and your personal experience is usually tinged by any Government interaction being burdensome and petty beauracrats.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:29 AM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Provably false - such as the factoid that WV is the single largest "taker" of Federal Welfare per capita.

Add in opioid problems and shortened lifespans and depression and many of these places aren't so rosy. And, yes, I've lived in WV and TN and been to KY and quite a few other places in the area.

I would say violence is also evident but booze and opioids and the young people leaving has tamped some of that down. Now people usually destroy themselves first.

Factoid - in the history of the USA the highest sustained violence (murder, gun crimes) was in the TN and KY hills and rose to the level of over 200 per 100,000. For reference, in "liberal" MA. it is less than 6.

They may not have as many gender "theories", but they certainly have a lot of theories about other things....that aren't true in fact.
So would you amend it, then, to read, "...until compulsory Obamacare ACA 2010 and its goofball pills come to town"?

Let's also examine those taker states, state by state, on this map:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...tatestaxes.gif

Old 12-23-2019, 04:44 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Winterfall has acknowledged in this thread that he believes the conspiracy theory of New World Order, he admits he thinks it is organised and run by the Jews and he thinks this is because the Jews want one world government.

The purpose of this thread is recruitment to an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory. It is not about political leanings in NYC, but merely another method to spout his extreme anti semitism.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:57 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Winterfall has acknowledged in this thread that he believes the conspiracy theory of New World Order, he admits he thinks it is organised and run by the Jews and he thinks this is because the Jews want one world government.

The purpose of this thread is recruitment to an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory. It is not about political leanings in NYC, but merely another method to spout his extreme anti semitism.
No, this couldn't be further from the truth.

You were the one that decided to go down the rabbit hole; historical anecdotes aren't the subject of this thread.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No, this couldn't be further from the truth.

You were the one that decided to go down the rabbit hole; historical anecdotes aren't the subject of this thread.
I accurately presented what you have said in answer to my questions.

Just calling out your dog whistles.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:24 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Look at the idjits that NYC elects, all left wing wackos. AOC is their poster child.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:13 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Look at the idjits that NYC elects, all left wing wackos. AOC is their poster child.
AOC is hated in NYC by wealthy ladder climbers for fighting corporate power.

She is in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies