Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 PM

51,577 posts, read 25,492,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You quit because a politician insulted you?
Sounds suspicious, doesn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 07:54 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,680,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's unfortunate for the people that work there but they are investing in operations elsewhere.

Yeah, Mexico.

Winning !!!

Old 12-21-2019, 07:55 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,858,000 times
Quote:
Didn't Joe Biden say he wanted to shut down these kinds of businesses?
He doesn't have to worry about it now.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:00 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,644,961 times
US Steel's stock went from $43 a share to under $12 a share in just 2 years. Not a good sign, and it doesn't seem like things are going to be getting any better for the steel market.

Steel has been a struggling industry for quite some time. Not sure what can be done to change that, other than what they are doing now... Using technology to improve efficiency and quality of product. But that also means jobs will continue to be placed on the chopping block, because increased productivity in the absence of growing demand means fewer workers will be needed.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 PM

51,577 posts, read 25,492,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
U.S. Steel’s stock closed down Friday about 11% at $11.91 as the company announced a dividend cut and forecast a wider-than-expected loss in the fourth quarter. The company’s shares have plunged 75% since March 1, 2018, when Trump announced his decision to crack down on foreign steel imports.

Apparently, stockholders have not read the optimistic articles linked on this forum.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:23 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
[/color]

Yeah, Mexico.

The links I provided in the post your are replying too are for facilities in PA and AK. US steel has 0 locations in Mexico and I cannot find any reference to them building anything there.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:09 PM

76,837 posts, read 47,156,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I ran my own business for 30 yrs and finally retired when Obama told me I didn't build it.
Cool story bro.....

Old 12-21-2019, 11:20 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,997,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's unfortunate for the people that work there but they are investing in operations elsewhere.
That’s cold comfort to the 1500 losing their jobs.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:20 PM

15,589 posts, read 6,324,778 times
Tariffs haven't done anything to save the US Steel industry. The decline is expected to continue. World steel production is also slowing.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:29 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,245,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I ran my own business for 30 yrs and finally retired when Obama told me I didn't build it.
He's right. You didn't build the schools or educate the teachers which educated you and your workers, you didn't built the roads which allowed your products to be brought to market or customers to visit your place of business, you didn't build the internet or the technology which helped your business to advance.

Obama was pointing out the VALUE of education, training, research and technology - and, yes, roads and bridges - and why this country should invest in them. Without any of those, you would not have succeeded.

Not a one of us would have what we have today without them.

This is what he said he meant:
"Of course Americans build their own business. Everyday hardworking people sacrifice to meet a payroll, create jobs, and make our economy run. And what I said was that we need to stand behind them, as America always has. By investing in education, training, roads and bridges, research and technology."

Here is his actual comment - verbatim:
"Look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own," he said.I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

"If you've got a business -- you didn't build that," he continued. "Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own."

Both statements, if read carefully, say exactly the same thing. Nowhere does Obama say your own personal initiative, ingenuity, and hard work had no value.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-22-2019 at 12:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies