Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:12 PM

78,022 posts, read 60,232,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I see that firefighters from the US and around the world are assisting, Sydney has been under a smog from the fire for weeks.
Fires burning near every major city.

Extremely dry conditions, 60 mph winds and you have a catastrophe, getting worse every year around the planet.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/21/79044...ross-australia
I know you're trying to help push the global warming thing but anyone with a computer and 30 seconds can determine that this current brushfire armagedon in only about 1/2 way to the one that happened there back in 1851.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,096,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know you're trying to help push the global warming thing but anyone with a computer and 30 seconds can determine that this current brushfire armagedon in only about 1/2 way to the one that happened there back in 1851.
Why listen to scientists when we have you dude?

Old 12-21-2019, 09:34 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
Sad these fires get out of control.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:05 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,563,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I see that firefighters from the US and around the world are assisting, Sydney has been under a smog from the fire for weeks.
Fires burning near every major city.

Extremely dry conditions, 60 mph winds and you have a catastrophe, getting worse every year around the planet.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/21/79044...ross-australia

And the worse it gets, the more the climate-change deniers will double-down and claim it's just a natural fluctuation. What is the motivation behind these claims? Do they have investments in carbon-emitting industries? Or maybe they don't want to give up their big cars and trucks, that use lots of fuel? And why does there seem to be an almost complete correlation between them in the U. S. and membership in Trump's base?

I feel great sympathy for the Australians. I wonder how much worse it can get there and the country still remain habitable? I'm just now listening to Australian Prime Minister Morrison. He refuses to link the cause of any one fire to climate-change. They say his election depended on the support of those in the coal-mining industry and that he's trying to occupy a middle ground between them and environmentalists. That doesn't seem to be a territory that will last long for him or anyone.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-21-2019 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 10:23 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,923,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
But...but....scientists.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:27 PM

30,745 posts, read 21,881,415 times
Quote:
Why didn't you blame global warming in your original post, if that's what you were getting at? Anyway, Gretta and all of her climate change pals better go to China, SE Asia, India, and Africa and have them shut down their dirty coal plants, and stop the hundreds their bringing online every year.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:30 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,506,198 times
An absurd graphic viewed at the National level. Zoom in a bit and you will see that only relatively small areas are on fire, not most of the nation.

Not to diminish the pain and suffering of many people affected, but rest assured folks of the world, Australia is not on Fire.

We are suffering from a pretty bad drought in some parts coupled with high temps it is no doubt an extremely bad fire season, though the drought will have a much higher cost on the Country.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:38 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,506,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

I feel great sympathy for the Australians. I wonder how much worse it can get there and the country still remain habitable? I'm just now listening to Australian Prime Minister Morrison. He refuses to link the cause of any one fire to climate-change. They say his election depended on the support of those in the coal-mining industry and that he's trying to occupy a middle ground between them and environmentalists. That doesn't seem to be a territory that will last long for him or anyone.
Fear not Steve, it will be habitable for a long time to come. The climate is beautiful and a major attraction for most living here and visitors alike.

And Steve, the PM is 100% correct not to link any one fire to climate-change. No climate change experts do that either. It would be seriously absurd.

Climate Change is taken very seriously by the Australian Government and as a Nation we are meeting our commitments and doing more than other large emitters. If you are interested, you can learn more here: https://www.environment.gov.au/clima...-change-target

Old 12-22-2019, 01:00 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,096,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Why didn't you blame global warming in your original post, if that's what you were getting at? Anyway, Gretta and all of her climate change pals better go to China, SE Asia, India, and Africa and have them shut down their dirty coal plants, and stop the hundreds their bringing online every year.
Would China even give her a platform?

Old 12-22-2019, 05:21 AM

78,022 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
That's the whole point, this is very very very soft "sciency". There is plenty of broader more solid scientific work on the topic rather than trying to nail down regional events that are impacted by dozens of variables (including human land usage) and of course attribute every single tragedy to it.

Because it opens you up to exactly the kind of counter-reference that I provided and you'd have to be blind to miss the dozens of threads started by right wingers here doing exactly that.

So, I'll keep my real science thanks!

You guys and your "diet science" can run around reading news articles about a record low in Sheboygan, WI or wildfires in California destroying wayyy more homes than 100 years ago (lol) while exclaiming the earth will be destroyed in 10 years. You're helping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.