Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 08:00 PM

57,226 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I see people showing pictures of how adorable and loving their pit is all I can think of is that dog is going to eat that baby one day.
One of the issues like many breeds is that people take on young pit bulls not realizing what they will become. One of the most powerful and athletic dogs when they mature. People that have no business owning any dog taking on these animals. Careless owners with no responsibility are the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 08:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Sigh why do people, usually the same people who demonize guns insist upon blaming the animal when it is the owner who is at fault.

Bad owners= bad dogs no matter what the breed.

All breeds require owners who actually behave as owners, some require owners who can manage a strong breed.

It isn't about blaming the animal but in keeping the dangerous animals and the bad owners apart.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:04 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Sigh why do people, usually the same people who demonize guns insist upon blaming the animal when it is the owner who is at fault.

All breeds require owners who actually behave as owners, some require owners who can manage a strong breed.

In this case the dogs were undisciplined had bad owners and were allowed to roam. The dogs were not at fault. Their owners were.

Save the dogs and put the owners down. The world will be a better place for it.

The same is true of lousy parents.
So I should have let the dog attack me? That is as dumb as saying I should let someone shoot me and not protect myself.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:31 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So I should have let the dog attack me? That is as dumb as saying I should let someone shoot me and not protect myself.
You should just talk sweet and pet the animal. Or “the bat on the snout worksâ€

Old 12-24-2019, 07:52 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:

In this case the dogs were undisciplined had bad owners and were allowed to roam. The dogs were not at fault. Their owners were.

Save the dogs and put the owners down. The world will be a better place for it.

The same is true of lousy parents.
My whole life, I have always been a dog person. I like all kinds of dogs, even the pit bulls I have met. But they dont have a good track record for predictability. Even pit bulls in the most loving homes have attacked people. Especially children, because instinct can suddenly and unexpectedly kick in and they can see a child as an animal that is smaller than them, or in other words, prey. I know good families that have pit bulls and small children, and none of them have problems, but I am always a little concerned because there is always a chance that they could have a problem. And although, the chance is small, the consequences are devastating.

The people that get pit bulls out of love, are often people that rescued them from shelters. I dont know if this increases the unpredictability, because they dont know the history, or if it decreases the unpredictability, because shelter dogs are often mixed breeds.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:39 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
People are encouraged to adopt dogs from shelters. Thing is most of what they have are dogs that are part pit. My daughter did get a mix at a shelter. Was 6 mos old. Part pit and black lab. Great dog so far. He is about 18 mos now.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 PM

28 posts, read 18,218 times
Denver Mayor Hancock vetoed a City Council vote to repeal the ban on pit bull terriors. I know in virtually all cases, the temperament of the pit bull is a matter of how it was raised and how it is treated. The problem is that even good pit bulls can snap given the right circumstances and pit bulls are a breed that can and has, killed - many times.

I don't often agree with the mayor but this time l do. Attacks just happen too often all across the country. If there weren't other choices of breeds it might be different but there are dozens of breeds and endless mixed breeds, large and small. Outlawing one breed won't hurt anyone and as long as Denver gives those who have them inside city limits some sort of amnesty, l see zero reason to not have such a ban in an urban, densely populated city.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It isn't about blaming the animal but in keeping the dangerous animals and the bad owners apart.
IMO pit bulls are poorly bred and like wolves and tigers, aren't good pet material. The average dog owner is not conscientious enough to own pit bulls or the other bully breeds. Pit bulls need a strong alpha owner and can't be treated like a fur baby.

As a woman, I will never own a dog that I can't physically restrain. I don't want any animal for a pet that I can't be in total control over.

Pit bulls are a terrier breed, and part of being a terrier is having a stubborn personality. They have a reputation for getting in an attack mode aka the red zone and not letting go of their anger. Their prey drive is extraordinarily strong. They are also able to ignore pain, which is why so many pit bulls in attack mode end up being shot and killed in order to stop their attack. They are like an angry person on PCP who can't be stopped.

Every week, there is a new horror story about a pit bull attack.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
What is it with Pit Bull-type breeds making the news so often for dog attacks?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 AM

17,602 posts, read 6,894,659 times
I would never own a pit bull. Ban them? Not sure I'm for that...yet. There's a strong argument for it. I think some cities have bans already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies