Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is why pit bulls should at least require $1 million in insurance to own. Or be illegal.
This is why the owners of pit bulls and Pit crossbreeds should be required to take dog handling classes with their dogs.

It isn't that the dogs are inherently bad. It's bad owners who either don't give a damn, or just aren't up to the task. The insurance is also a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 AM

12,338 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What is it with Pit Bull-type breeds making the news so often for dog attacks?
As opposed to just random dog attacks?

I go back to an episode of Lou Grant about dog fighters which was like the coming out party for pit bulls being the alpha dog on the block which lead to humans proving that they were the alpha dog trying to get that breed. Followed up by a L.A County animal control officer being caught on tape having her hand crushed by the jaws of a woman's pet.

Since not all of the alpha proving humans were interested in actually putting their trophy dog into a fighting pit they started breeding them for increased sized to look even bigger and badder. While the larger mixed breeds might have lost a fight to a pure breed they retained the power to instill fear on other community members, crush human bones and kill should they attack a man.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:48 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,320,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’ve had friendly debates with a former coworker who had one of these beasts and claimed they’re all misunderstood sweethearts. The picture she painted was pit bulls spending their days romping through a field chasing butterflies.

BS.
My sister runs the local chapter of the Humane Society. She owns two pitties. She recently fostered a French Bulldog.

The Frenchie was more aggressive than her pit bulls.

They are strong dogs so the potential for injury increases, but the vast majority of pit bulls/pit mixes that I've ever encountered are sweet, loving, gentle animals.

The anti-breed crowd sounds, ironically, just like the anti-gun crowd....

Old 02-15-2020, 06:52 AM

12,338 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

The anti-breed crowd sounds, ironically, just like the anti-gun crowd....
On on the other hand the defense is the same. Arguing over nomenclature or one strand of DNA when it is the general design characteristics which those who fear the powerful animal and high rate of fire weapons use for their banning attempts.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What is it with Pit Bull-type breeds making the news so often for dog attacks?
This certainly plays a part:

https://scalar.usc.edu/works/arifdia...d-as-pit-bulls

https://gizmodo.com/a-shocking-numbe...ied-1759879362

https://www.natureworldnews.com/arti...tudy-finds.htm

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...eds-180970136/

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/10-Breed...-For-Pit-Bulls

https://www.dogexpert.com/problems-w...dentification/

Old 02-15-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
On on the other hand the defense is the same. Arguing over nomenclature or one strand of DNA when it is the general design characteristics which those who fear the powerful animal and high rate of fire weapons use for their banning attempts.
Sure. "Ban things I find scary/I don't like."

So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave, I guess.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,148,967 times
The owners have the physchological need to parade around with a known killer, they derive a sense of power from it. They unite and keep the myth of a "good" owner the dogs are harmless. A HUGE lie. Vets will tell us 3 dog breeds can kill unprovoked at any time, Pitts the worst followed by Rotts and Great Danes. Leave kids or the weak around them and the potential is always there for an attack, rare but there.

In the interim the deaths happen while the sick group continues to defend their pets. If you like Russian roulette buy a Pit.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The owners have the physchological need to parade around with a known killer, they derive a sense of power from it. They unite and keep the myth of a "good" owner the dogs are harmless. A HUGE lie. Vets will tell us 3 dog breeds can kill unprovoked at any time, Pitts the worst followed by Rotts and Great Danes. Leave kids or the weak around them and the potential is always there for an attack, rare but there.

In the interim the deaths happen while the sick group continues to defend their pets. If you like Russian roulette buy a Pit.
Oh, really? You should notify the folks at the American Veterinary Medicine Association of that, then.

...Owners of pit bull-type dogs deal with a strong breed stigma, however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous...

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools...ion-role-breed

Old 02-15-2020, 07:55 AM

18,432 posts, read 15,186,935 times
Interesting articles. I am not surprised to find that a lot of dogs are misidentified as pit bulls. Personally, the only one of those that I might misidentify as a Pit Bull is Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but that is really six of one half a dozen of the other, as the Pit Bull is a direct descendant. In fact, most people incorrectly believe them to be one in the same.

From what I have seen come to our operating room, which is by definition, anecdotal, is that dogs identified as Pit Bulls have been involved in a disproportionate amount of attacks. But keep in mind, a simple dog bite is not usually going to come to the operating room. Only the worst attacks are bad enough to require surgery.

But the breeds aggressiveness is only part of the equation. The other part is, how much damage can the dog do? I have read that most aggressive breed is the Chihuahua. But a Chihuahua is limited in the amount of damage it can do to a human, where as the bigger, stronger breeds dont have those limitations.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Over the course of many years I've had to deal with dogs a lot in my work. Going to the residences of people I do t know and having the issue of a dog to deal with.

I had a hard and fast rule. Put the dog someplace secure. Where I will not be in proximity while I work. Most people understood, but some got angry. Insisting it's the dogs home and it can roam as it pleased my presence aside.

Fine. Then your water leak will continue your toilets wont flush or maybe you'll be without heat a while longer cuz you will be calling someone else about the problem.

I've come across all sorts of dangerous dogs. And the worst of the worst were all some sort of "bull" breed. The people who owned these dogs were most often renters in low class properties many of them obviously into drugs.

And their dogs were openly aggressive and usually pretty large. Pits and Rotts were the most prevalent. They were kept as weapons. That was their purpose. They truly were reflections of their owners.
I've had some close calls.

I worked as an LP delivery driver for a short time. Mongrel mix bull breeds in back yards were my worst fear. And people can be soooo stupid. One incident involved the mongrel being chained to the tank.

I called the office and had them contact the customer to remedy that so I could fill their tank. Got a call back after a bit said the coast was clear and I could proceed.

Umm yea. They got the dog unchained from the tank. They just turned him loose is the yard. I went through the gate and he charged me. Luckily he was across the yard about 60 or so feet from me. But I couldn't back out of the yard and shut the gate before he'd of had me.

So...I whipped the valve open on my delivery hose and nailed him with liquid LP, which made a large cloud of vapor when it hit the air.

Oh...the dog stopped his attack. And the customer still didnt get his gas. And he was pissed. His dog was close enough to me when I opened the valve that it took liquid LP full force in the face. It had to be put down.

I kinda felt a little bad for the critter but I didnt have a choice. It was that or get mauled badly or maybe die. The dog was well over 100 pounds and had it in his head to kill me. And his owner was an idiot.

I had to talk to the sheriff deputies about it. The owner wanted me charged. Didnt happen. Wasnt my fault the owner didnt properly secure the dog.

But, it wasnt chained to the tank anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies