Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 09:36 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times

Advertisements

We certainly have no shortage of corruption here in the US, but believe it or not, the problem is far worse in other parts of the world, especially in China.

China President (Apparently for life) Xi Xinping has been promoting an anti-corruption campaign in the world's most populous and most overtly communist nation for a number of years now, with quite a few high ranking government officials being stripped of their duties, jailed and sometimes executed for their cleptocratic ways. It has been a spotty effort however and is nowhere close to bringing these issues under control.

Today the CEO of a recently nationalized Chinese bank was sentenced to death for illegally pocketing over $100 million through illegal gains and irregular accounting practices.

While accountability is desired and needed for crimes like this one, this verdict is excessive and an over-reaction.

Quote:
CEO Of Chinese Bank Sentenced To Death For Stealing $100 Million

The former chairman of struggling lender Hengfeng Bank Co. has been sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve by a Chinese court for making illegal gains of over $100 million.

Jiang Xiyun was convicted for moving 754 million yuan ($108 million) worth of Hangfeng shares to his personal account between 2008 and 2013, according to the Yantai Intermediate People’s Court. He also took bribes of more than 60 million yuan together with another bank executive, according to the Thursday ruling. A reprieved death sentence may be commuted to a life sentence if the person shows good behavior within the allotted period.
This seems overly harsh if you ask me. China is notorious for its corruption, including its lack of respect for intellectual property rights and its obligations under international trade agreements. To fix that, they need to start somewhere and it is good to see at least some progress towards addressing these sorts of problems.

But trying to compensate for a culture that is largely absent a tradition of respecting an evenly applied rule of law with this sort of overly extreme reaction is not the kind of solution that they should be striving for in situations like these.

Accountability for these sorts of crimes is very important, but so is some sort of proportional, measured response. This verdict is extreme in this case and an over-reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:46 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
The Chinese have had a death penalty on the books for government and private corruption since the inception of the Communist state. Two year reprieve probably means he won’t be executed but will serve a long prison sentence.

For years execution was by a shot to the back of the head by rifle. There was something of a public image problem when leaked photos appeared showing people with their heads blown apart after execution. Currently execution is by lethal injection.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The Chinese have had a death penalty on the books for government and private corruption since the inception of the Communist state. Two year reprieve probably means he won’t be executed but will serve a long prison sentence.

For years execution was by a shot to the back of the head by rifle. There was something of a public image problem when leaked photos appeared showing people with their heads blown apart after execution. Currently execution is by lethal injection.
And they would charge the family for the cost of the bullet. That is cold.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
An anti-corruption campaign in a notoriously corrupt nation is a darn good way to get rid of inconvenient rivals.

I HIGHLY doubt that Xi got where he is by being incorruptible.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
An anti-corruption campaign in a notoriously corrupt nation is a darn good way to get rid of inconvenient rivals.

I HIGHLY doubt that Xi got where he is by being incorruptible.
Not just in China, but here in the US as well. Just saying.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
100 million... Yeah I have no problem with the death penalty....

Old 12-27-2019, 10:05 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
The corrupt CEO's in the USA are looked upon as God's by the adoring broke masses.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
I wish we'd do that punishment here more for people like this..

Wouldn't bother me if anyone who stole anything over $2500 got a hand chopped off. I am guessing you'd have far less major thefts

Old 12-27-2019, 10:16 AM

530 posts, read 175,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I wish we'd do that punishment here more for people like this..

Wouldn't bother me if anyone who stole anything over $2500 got a hand chopped off. I am guessing you'd have far less major thefts
If we had these executions and punishments in place for white collar criminals and elites there may soon be no one left to run the finance and real estate industries.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:28 AM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The corrupt CEO's in the USA are looked upon as God's by the adoring broke masses.
No joke! My cousin, who is broke from making bad decisions in her life, is cheering like crazy everytime Disney buys another franchise or entity. She's happy that Marvel got X-Men back with the Fox buy out. I'm like, how long will it be before they own the internet as well and plan on charging 400 or more a month for their Disney + once they are the only game in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies