Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be forced to pay for other's health care, etc?
No 116 65.91%
Yes with no expectations of work in return 35 19.89%
Yes, if they perform community service 5 2.84%
No. Doctors and nurses should be required to work free for one year after training 0 0%
Other 22 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 11:27 AM

317 posts, read 224,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody should be forced to pay for anything.

By the way, nobody uses police protection except for some politicians.
Fantastic logic. Please tell me where you work so I can go in and demand my free stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 11:30 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
You do realize that each state determines it's own minimum wage, right? Federally the minimum is $7.25 If you want to know which state pays it's workers the lowest wage, Google it.
Should Americans work at gunpoint for zero wages so you can pay whatever unregulated price the market says it is, at that particular moment? We did that once. Didn't work out so well in the end at the ol' plantation.
What the hell are you taking about?

If someone wants to work for free, it’s their right and choice to do so.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Fantastic logic. Please tell me where you work so I can go in and demand my free stuff.
Please tell me how you use police service? You can’t. Police is to enforce the law. You can’t ask a cop to protect you and sue them if they fail. Doesn’t work that way.

Enforcing the law means they go after criminals. Police is NOT a service for the citizens to use. The court has ruled many times that police has no obligation to protect any individual. Google it.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:41 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I voted other. My answer is no, with a caveat. If one is physically or mentally unable to work, then i no problem funding their healthcare.
I voted no as well but for those physically unable to work I don't have any problem funding the money so they receive the best healthcare along with adequate/comfortable middle class housing and enough money to pay for adequate food etc. Maybe not take any vacations to Europe but enough to live a comfortable life.

If they are mentally unable to work I would have to ask the cause. If it is drugs or alcohol there is no help available you could give them $100k today and next month they would be broke and homeless once again. They would be broke and homeless due to the decision they made in their life and they chose it so they should live with it.

I grew up with a drunk step father in the home and I have no mercy for drunks. Not one bit. They can go live with the alligators in the swamp for all I care. My hatred for drunks knows no bounds and I have no mercy. They squander their lives while making everyone else pay for their stupidity.

The way to get drunks off the streets would be to use a street sweeper... cart em to the dump. Sorry but when I think of what a drunk did to my childhood and I get really ticked off so don't expect mercy from me.

Same with drug abusers. They bring misery to the world and everyone around them.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:07 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
You do realize that each state determines it's own minimum wage, right? Federally the minimum is $7.25 If you want to know which state pays it's workers the lowest wage, Google it.
Should Americans work at gunpoint for zero wages so you can pay whatever unregulated price the market says it is, at that particular moment? We did that once. Didn't work out so well in the end at the ol' plantation.
No one works for zero wages except the 55% of US 1040 filers who are forced to work for free for part of each year to fund the so-called "society" for the freeloaders.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:22 PM

317 posts, read 224,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No one works for zero wages except the 55% of US 1040 filers who are forced to work for free for part of each year to fund the so-called "society" for the freeloaders.
thou dost deflect too much.

I still want to know where you work so I can demand my free stuff since work=slavery and "society" is bad, according to your many posts on the evils of capitalism.

Scratch that, I'm pretty sure you don't have anything I want

Old 12-26-2019, 02:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Do feel Government financial assistance should be expanded to all. Paid via a VAT/Sales Tax and a low flat income tax of 5%. Government financial aid is opitional for the individual. Government financial aid replaces yearly tax returns.

Should focus on reducing the cost of public college tuition. Paying more than $20K for a community college is a bit ludicrous. Should cap public higher education at $15K for community college and $30K for 4 year college (not including books/lab fees). Do away with FASFA continue to have Government gift and scholarships.

Make SS opitional. Those who participate in program income is taxed at a small percentage and expand max income to $200,000 per individual. Receive SS when retire for how many year's contributed to SS program.

Keep SNAP, SSDI, and TANF with max amount received monthly being $3,000.

Continue to keep yearly dependent tax credit and VA fianancial assistance.

Medicaid should be a public opition. However, anyone 70 or older should have cost free healthcare.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:18 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Universal healthcare benefits everyone directly. Everyone needs healthcare at some point in their lives. And, yes, I want the poor to get healthcare, even if they get it free. I don't want to get in an elevator with people who have untreated communicable diseases coughing near me, thank you very much.

You want to know who else benefits from universal healthcare? Business. Universal health care gets the monkey of providing health care to their employees off their backs. Businesses that are relieved of the burden of healthcare will have lower overhead, less costs, more profit and can pay their employees more.

So do you also propose forcing the businesses to increase my pay enough to offset the additional taxes I will pay? Since the quality of my care will go down how much extra should I be compensated? Since millions and millions of freeloaders are benefiting even more off the system it’s only fair that I benefit monetarily to make up for it.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:29 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
So do you also propose forcing the businesses to increase my pay enough to offset the additional taxes I will pay? Since the quality of my care will go down how much extra should I be compensated? Since millions and millions of freeloaders are benefiting even more off the system it’s only fair that I benefit monetarily to make up for it.
You not paying for healthcare will offset the taxes you pay. I posted this on the Bernie thread but here it is again.

https://www.bernietax.com/#140000;5000;s

Don't those of us that make over the median household income already pay a share of someone else's services? It seems like healthcare should be one of those essential services we all pay for.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:43 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
thou dost deflect too much.

I still want to know where you work so I can demand my free stuff since work=slavery and "society" is bad, according to your many posts on the evils of capitalism.
Work is only slavery when SOME workers HAVE to pay federal income and payroll taxes to fund the so-called "society," but OTHER workers don't have to pay a dime in either of those taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies