Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be forced to pay for other's health care, etc?
No 116 65.91%
Yes with no expectations of work in return 35 19.89%
Yes, if they perform community service 5 2.84%
No. Doctors and nurses should be required to work free for one year after training 0 0%
Other 22 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There's literally 1.5 tenets to our whole philosophy.

1. The non-aggression principle.

.5 (extension of #1) Respect for private property rights.

It's actually the easiest viewpoint to understand. Statism is the tough one to understand or debate. It doesn't really have any principles (means). It's based almost solely on ends. It's basically an entity of practice and not a philosophy. If I had to list principles of statism (and I say this without any pride or prejudice) I would put involuntary collectivism as the core tenet. Statists get very upset at that but I'm not sure it can be denied.

They generally get upset because they don't like to think of themselves as murderers, rapists, and robbers or more appropriately in today's societal structure...supporters of mercenaries who do murdering, raping, and robbing on their behalf (those mercenaries would be governments).

Being able to logically and morally counter anarchy (the illegitimacy of rulers) has been impossible in my experience. I continue to try though.
They have no idea what you are talking about.

Violence is part of their life and they believe they are entitled to your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 06:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
L8Gr8Apost8 and other statists:

I'm going to try something new. Hey, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Have any of you seen the movie Misery with Kathy Bates and James Caan? If so it would help and if not that's still ok. I think you'll still be able to see what I'm talking about.

Would you be willing to watch a 2:30 clip from it that I believe illustrates the viewpoint of anarchists?

Old 12-31-2019, 06:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
A lot of people want me to pay for them, nobody wants to pay for me.... Irony...

Old 12-31-2019, 07:28 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The non-aggression principle is the central idea. Don't initiate force against peaceful people or their property. Only use force to defend yourself, others, or their belongings...never bring violence into a non-violent situation.

There are libertarians who might describe it differently, and some are more consistent than others, but that's what the libertarian philosophy is.

So looking at it from that perspective, our views might make more sense. We probably agree on a lot of goals, but we rule out the initiation of force as an acceptable way of achieving them.
That's fine. So what is your solution to caring for people who can't care for themselves such as children? Do we collectively care for them or do we rely on charity and hope the other guys take care of it?

Old 12-31-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's fine. So what is your solution to caring for people who can't care for themselves such as children? Do we collectively care for them or do we rely on charity and hope the other guys take care of it?
Instead of asking him what he would do have you ever thought about what you would do in such a situation?

I'm not being malicious here. Serious question.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Sure, help any way we can, but first rule out initiating force as an option.

I live in an area with a decent amount of homeless people, and it gets pretty cold here. I want them to be helped, but obviously I'm not going to approach strangers on the street and force them into it...and since I won't personally do that, I won't vote for someone to do it on my behalf.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Instead of asking him what he would do have you ever thought about what you would do in such a situation?

I'm fine with tax dollars being spent on that. In fact, I expect if the government is going to take taxes from me that they do something I find worthwhile with it like protecting children, elderly, disabled. It's my understanding that able-bodied single people have trouble getting assistance. I'm not concerned with them. They have options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Sure, help any way we can, but first rule out initiating force as an option.

I live in an area with a decent amount of homeless people, and it gets pretty cold here. I want them to be helped, but obviously I'm not going to approach strangers on the street and force them into it...and since I won't personally do that, I won't vote for someone to do it on my behalf.
By force you mean taxation? It seems ineffective to try and raise money voluntarily for each thing that society needs. Roads, libraries, schools, national defense...fundraisers? What is so wrong(sorry IMMORAL) about having people pay according to their ability and just chip in on everything?

Are you advocating no government or just a specific kind of government?

Old 12-31-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with tax dollars being spent on that. In fact, I expect if the government is going to take taxes from me that they do something I find worthwhile with it like protecting children, elderly, disabled. It's my understanding that able-bodied single people have trouble getting assistance. I'm not concerned with them. They have options.
But taxation requires force.

You asked T0103E what he would do in a society not contingent upon force initiation.

He answered.

What would you do?

Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:

LOL! You still have to ask this question? He would take your money by force and pay for his compassion.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
But taxation requires force.

You asked T0103E what he would do in a society not contingent upon force initiation.

He answered.

What would you do?
There wouldn't be much, by myself, I could do. I could buy a few families some groceries but how would I even know who needed help? I guess I could volunteer at a nursing home and cook a few meals to cut costs for them. That's why I'm for taxation handling it. You guys are saying that we shouldn't use taxes to pay for those things.

I donate platelets now because that's the only thing currently that will get a cancer patient's blood to clot. I don't go around saying people should be forced to do that even though there is always a shortage. That to me would be violence. Money is just money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies