Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I will just say...everything Mel Gibson said years ago was true.
Really? You're down with Mel's anti-Semitism?

You've just accidentally bolstered your credentials in the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 04:36 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Doesn't matter.

I'm native born.

We're here - and you're just BH cause the demographics ain't going to your liking. Tough noogies.

Get used to it.

Yep. I look at it like this. I'm in the minority. My ethnicity is 12.5 to 13 percent of the U.S. population. I'm used to being in the minority. For this reason, I don't have pity for anyone who complains abouts "we're going to be in the minority".

Old 01-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Really? You're down with Mel's anti-Semitism?

You've just accidentally bolstered your credentials in the club.
I wouldn't surprise me if said person is an Anti-Semite.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Yep. I look at it like this. I'm in the minority. My ethnicity is 12.5 to 13 percent of the U.S. population. I'm used to being in the minority. For this reason, I don't have pity for anyone who complains abouts "we're going to be in the minority".
Yep. So am I. Asian Americans are about 6% of the total US population. I have about this much sympathy (holds up two fingers a 1/2 inch apart) for those folks who complain about that too.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yep. So am I. Asian Americans are about 6% of the total US population. I have about this much sympathy (holds up two fingers a 1/2 inch apart) for those folks who complain about that too.
I don't have much sympathy for such persons. I do sometimes have a bit of fear in the back of my mind. Some persons who express that kind of fear also have alot of animosity, and might be willing to employ violence. The persons who complain out "becoming a minority" the most tend to be Neo-Nazi types.

I tend to not care about whether or not I'm in the minority. I live in a neighborhood that is 95% White. It's merely by coincidence. I needed a place to live that is very close to my current job. It so happen to be in a nearly all-White neighborhood. I don't complain about being in the minority. One reason I have no pity for those that do.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't have much sympathy for such persons. I do sometimes have a bit of fear in the back of my mind. Some persons who express that kind of fear also have alot of animosity, and might be willing to employ violence. The persons who complain out "becoming a minority" the most tend to be Neo-Nazi types.

I tend to not care about whether or not I'm in the minority. I live in a neighborhood that is 95% White. It's merely by coincidence. I needed a place to live that is very close to my current job. It so happen to be in a nearly all-White neighborhood. I don't complain about being in the minority. One reason I have no pity for those that do.
I agree with the bold very much.

Fortunately for our family, our community has a substantial number of Asians in it, if not a majority. Cupertino, CA has an Asian majority, in particular, the school age population (up to 70-80%) - though we don't live there. That's where Apple is headquartered.

It's pretty normal being Asian American around here. Sometimes I think my daughter would benefit with more contact with folks who don't look like her, but OTOH, if the current environment means that she doesn't get called ethnic slurs and are made to feel less of a person just because of her appearance --- I'll take that!

Old 01-03-2020, 05:14 PM

What happens? Honestly, who knows. The thing is, unless there is some large shift in birth rates, the trend towards non-White minorities becoming a larger part of the population will continue. It doesn't matter if all immigration is stopped today and all illegals deported. The birth rates (even if they are dropping) will be a major factor. Asians are the only non-White minority with a birth rate lower than that of Whites.

And there is something more to consider. The electorate might shift. Right now, California, a majority-minority state, is the most populated in the USA. Texas, also majority-minority, is the 2nd highest population. The Sun-Belt region will become the next battle ground. Alot of people are moving to Arizona, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, Tennessee,etc. Alot of people are moving to those states. Phoenix, Tucscon, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, Raleigh, Northern Virginia, Asheville, Nashville, Miami, Tampa, etc. Many people from different states moving and it has changed the political landscape. Many of those states also have large minority populations, especially Texas and Georgia. For Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, it's large Black populations. For Texas and Arizona, it's large Hispanic populations. For Arizona, it could also include an increasing Black population, many of whom migrating from California.

A better question is this: What will the GOP in several states do? In many states, weird gerrymandering takes place, specifically to dilute the vote and keep the GOP in power. North Carolina is a big example of this, Texas too. In Georgia, it involved voter purging and the closing of over 200 polling stations, alot of them in predominantly Black areas.

Even if the "browning of America" doesn't happen, some places are going to have higher numbers of non-Whites than others. The South is the region many people aren't watching. More African-Americans live in the South than any other region. Something else. Rates of interracial marriage are on the rise. Alot of multiethnic/multiracial babies are being born. Alaska, Arizona, and Oklahoma have among the highest percentage of multiracial children being born. And the proportion of multiracial children is on the rise in the South too, especially in places like Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Looking at the latest major election (2018). Nothing. In fact white folks are shifting to the Democrats thanks to Bone Spurs in Chief. So there you have it. The GOP is losing everyone from white, minority, women and young.

2018 exit polls show greater white support for Democrats

Quote:
In Tuesday’s elections, whites aged 18 to 29 registered a positive D-R voting margin of 13, and whites aged 30 to 44 flipped from a Republican vote advantage in 2016 to an even Democratic–Republican split (D-R margin of 0) in 2018 (Figure 3). Many have noted that stronger young adult turnout provided increased support for Democrats, but it is especially noteworthy that white young adults voted more strongly Democratic than in previous elections.

Perhaps even more important for Democrats on Tuesday were gender and education patterns in white voting. As political analyst Ronald Brownstein noted, white college educated women are a likely long-term Democratic-leaning voting bloc, in contrast to other white groups, especially white men without a college education. The latter group, in particular, arguably provided decisive support for Donald Trump in the 2016 election.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...for-democrats/

Old 01-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with the bold very much.

Fortunately for our family, our community has a substantial number of Asians in it, if not a majority. Cupertino, CA has an Asian majority, in particular, the school age population (up to 70-80%) - though we don't live there. That's where Apple is headquartered.

It's pretty normal being Asian American around here. Sometimes I think my daughter would benefit with more contact with folks who don't look like her, but OTOH, if the current environment means that she doesn't get called ethnic slurs and are made to feel less of a person just because of her appearance --- I'll take that!
Silicon Valley does have its share of diversity. Alot of people of different groups. Not alot of African-Americans though (that is still a mystery to me). Now, in my case, I couldn't live in Silicon Valley because the cost of living in very high.

Being in contact with people of different ethnicities can make a person more familiar with people of different ethnicities.

The community I grew up in, it was the westernmost suburbs of Atlanta. It was 95% White when my family and me moved there in the late 1990s. By the time I graduated high school, my high school was about 82% White, 15% Black. The county I went to middle school and high school in is now 75% White, 18% Black. I have lived in predominantly White areas before (notably in the Northwest), so being around alot of White people wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was being the culture shock I dealt with. I was living in an area where people were still flying Confederate flags from their porches (not in my subdivision though). I was dealing with alot of rednecks. I dealt with people calling me racial slurs. A few students even threatened to hang me. But I've also dealt with being racial racial slurs from other minorities (most notably at a job I worked at. I was one of the few Blacks in a mainly Hispanic workplace).

I've pretty much learned I might get called racial slurs anywhere.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:10 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Really? You're down with Mel

Read up on the history of war(s) and who is largely behind them. Sorry, it's just the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies