Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times

Advertisements

People should have the right to be stupid. Let idiots buy incandescent bulbs in the spirit of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 12:28 AM

1,417 posts, read 733,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
With the energy savings from LED if it lasts as long incandescent it's pretty much even, they typically last much longer. Summer time savings is even higher... Any arguments about cost is not a good one.

The issue with that ban is it's one size fits all. Lots of people used incandescent for more reasons than just light.
Small poultry farmers use them to keep for the baby chickens warm and for egg incubation. It is a well known and practiced method and not as easy or cost effective to replicate by other methods.

Heck I use them under my autos when the temperature drops to keep my vehicles running.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don’t think a majority of buyers of LEDs are worried about spinach growth.
Actually you would be surprised. There is an entire new horitcultural industry that sprang up around the LEDs. Essentially in the old days, even with florescent lighting it was too energy inefficient (read that as too costly) to grow underglass due to the cost of heat and light. However LEDS allow you to create the need light spectrum at a very, very low hourly cost, so you no longer have to grow underglass to get he correct light spectrum meaning you do not need sunlight. The huge upshot of that is you can now grow in super insulated structures or like I do in a modified pit greenhouse in cold locations and produce farm to table greens and the like year round. This is huge...I have two small operations I started, one in IL and one in NC. to prove out the concept. The marijuana industry has been all over this as I have had many prospective weed farmers contact me about it. : (

My point is the amount of LED used in AG is fairly large and growing. You can meter things precisely, no longer having to balance out the heat thrown off by even warm ballasts and periodic sun etc..this is the future of AG, allowing people to grow in the most inhospitable places. The key is the cheap temperature stable lighting.

All of which is a totally different application than I previously posted about but the commercial and 3rd world applications in AG are staggering. I'll just mention one more in terms of AG, Suing the body heat of lifestock or simply biomass of manure to heat a bermed underground shelter where you grow greens under LEDs or higher value plants. I breed a frying pepper that can fruit in the 60s and in relatively low light. so that simply means raising the earth core temperature by 10 degrees in a contained environment, that is easy to accomplish.

Okay I am done. Gosh darn but capitalism is exciting. Free men to follow their passions.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Small poultry farmers use them to keep for the baby chickens warm and for egg incubation. It is a well known and practiced method and not as easy or cost effective to replicate by other methods.

Heck I use them under my autos when the temperature drops to keep my vehicles running.
I have a french fry light ceiling fixture in my bathroom. The local farmers co-op sells heat lamps up to 300 watts, which is about the limit for an Edison base ceramic fixture.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:27 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
I favored 40 and 60 watt. Even in zone 4b a 40 watt bulb in a cold frame will keep lettuce and spinach growing slowly and a 60 watt will give you decent growth. You can't do that will LEDs or florescent.
lol Of course you can. It's about the color spectrum and light intensity.

"Lettuce grows remarkably well under LED lighting. Today’s LED lighting is an effective, productive and energy-efficient tool to consistently increase production. Furthermore, varying light intensity and wave length has been shown to direct nutrition and flavor in crops ranging from broccoli to blueberries. "

https://lumigrow.com/wp-content/uplo...migrow-led.pdf

Old 12-24-2019, 06:57 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Absurd. They can be designed to any brightness. And the standard complaint of the home user is that they are too bright.

But it is simply a variable in the design. Make them as bright as you want.

Just buy a higher watt LED.
I build a lot of small stuff, jewelry etc. The new lights make it difficult to see. It is a different kind of light. Not nearly as clean and clear.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Of course you can. It's about the color spectrum and light intensity.

"Lettuce grows remarkably well under LED lighting. Today’s LED lighting is an effective, productive and energy-efficient tool to consistently increase production. Furthermore, varying light intensity and wave length has been shown to direct nutrition and flavor in crops ranging from broccoli to blueberries. "

https://lumigrow.com/wp-content/uplo...migrow-led.pdf
Of course you can, see my other posts in this thread. My point was, the heat is sufficient in a cold frame.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:50 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:

My cousin raises chicks and she said that using incandescent bulbs is wasteful and harmful because they eliminate the normal day/night cycle that chicks should grow up in. She uses ceramic heat emitters but said that people who raise larger number of birds than she does use heat plates placed above the chicks.

I have no idea how you use incandescent bulbs under your cars to keep them running, I can't even picture that...

Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
People should have the right to be stupid. Let idiots buy incandescent bulbs in the spirit of liberty.
lol yeah maybe they can market them as "freedom bulbs" remember "freedom fries"?

Old 12-24-2019, 08:56 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's more than just that. It's common way to safely put a little heat somewhere. e.g. outside fuel storage for home heating in extreme cold. For coal appliances you can put one inside the unit to help with moisture control during summer storage. People used them for incubating chicks....
When all the stoplights changed over to LEDs in areas that get snow ... people found that the stoplights became remained covered in snow (and a traffic hazard) because there was no heat coming from traditional bulbs.

So heaters were installed on those stoplights.

Great money saver there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies