Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take high speed rail over driving or flying
Yes 65 81.25%
No 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yep. The tsa THEMSELVES said there's no need for their brand of idiocy on trains. They were talking specifically about Amtrak, but a train's a train, brightline ain't special.
It depends on the general efficiency and professionalism of those overseeing the metal detector and x-ray machines. In Spain it takes a few extra seconds to go through them at the train stations--not a big deal. But they are much more efficient in general regarding public transportation and travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 07:43 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The price of train plus rental car plus parking fees probably cost more than simply driving... Traffic isn't that bad between cities like California.... I rather they take the money and fix the traffic issues inside the cities...
The traffic between Dallas and Houston is many times bumper to bumper. If there is an accident, one could be stuck for a couple of hours. We've seen that movie 3 times. For those of us who worked in Houston and Dallas and make the trip once or twice a week, the bus is great. The train will be even better.

We once got transferred in the middle of braces for a kid. For 8 months left Dallas in the morning, went to the Houston orthodontist, had lunch and then back to Dallas in time to make dinner. That's a hard trip these days. Incessant freeway reconstruction only adds to the pain.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:49 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
" Texas high speed rail-Would you take high speed rail over driving or flying "

The high speed rail will be between Dallas and Houston. No, I won't be using it. Houston isn't that far and I need my car once I get there. Not to mention, it won't make pit stops for Kolaches. Firstly, I'll have to time my arrival to the rail station in Dallas. Then I'll have to stand in line for a rent car in Houston, It's just not worth it to me. I do take the light rail in Dallas, but that's when it literally ends right at my destination.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Huh? Renting a car is a normal part of travel. I’ve taken the train to NOLA a few times, and rented a car upon arrival. Why would it have made more sense to drive all the fricken way from Arizona to New Orleans just because I had to rent a car upon my arrival?

Maybe they were talking about destinations within Texas since the thread is about Texas HSR (which is only projected to serve Houston, Dallas, and Austin). For such a 3-4 trip, I'd rather drive since the time savings with plane or train is minimal if anything. For longer trips as you mention, it depends on how much stuff I want to bring.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:33 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe they were talking about destinations within Texas since the thread is about Texas HSR (which is only projected to serve Houston, Dallas, and Austin). For such a 3-4 trip, I'd rather drive since the time savings with plane or train is minimal if anything. For longer trips as you mention, it depends on how much stuff I want to bring.
Any future additional leg that hits Austin is likely to continue to San Antonio, by way of Fort Worth.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Any future additional leg that hits Austin is likely to continue to San Antonio, by way of Fort Worth.

Still within the 3-4 hour driving window, which was my point.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So the train is waiting for you at the valet stand and departs the second you sit down?

No, but within 10 minutes, likely. A flight doesn't take off when I sit down either. And traffic on the road doesn't disappear when I'm driving. Not sure what you are asking here...

Old 12-26-2019, 11:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
No, but within 10 minutes, likely. A flight doesn't take off when I sit down either. And traffic on the road doesn't disappear when I'm driving. Not sure what you are asking here...
You'll be spending a bit of time driving to the train station, 15 minutes are so parking and getting into the station, 10 minutes through security, 5 minutes to platform, 15 minutes sitting on train awaiting departure.

That hour and a half ride is actually 2 and a half hours.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:52 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You'll be spending a bit of time driving to the train station, 15 minutes are so parking and getting into the station, 10 minutes through security, 5 minutes to platform, 15 minutes sitting on train awaiting departure.

That hour and a half ride is actually 2 and a half hours.

Maybe... but at least I can multitask while on the train and it's still shorter than a flight. There's also ways to reduce the time.

Parking - just use car service and that saves you 15 minutes. Also, if I were flying or driving, finding parking would be necessary there as well.

Security - It never takes me 10 minutes at an airport... I'd hope a train would be faster.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:58 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Being from Houston, this is a topic I've discussed quite a bit.

The only reason I could see going to Dallas would be for business, so you wouldn't really need a car, you could just catch a Lyft or Uber to get to where you need to go.

Honestly, I'd be much more interested in a high speed rail line between Houston and Austin. You don't even want to have a car in Austin really and it would be cool to be able to head to a show there or grab a few drinks on 6th street and have a quick trip back. It would make it to where you could realistically have a day trip there, even extending to the night a bit and not have to book a hotel so long as the rails ran late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies