Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:45 PM

34,099 posts, read 17,163,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The problem is not the job, it is the people. I, like most people worked in this dead end job before, but it was temporary. I did not plan to made that job my career. If I stuck there and can’t move up because I am too freaking lazy to acquire a skill, then it is my own freaking problem.
Bingo. Like millions of kids in the 70s, I did retail as my first job as a teen. Went to college. Graduated, and of course, graduated also from the McJob world. Investing in yourself is very rewarding.

Too many today prefer whining while at low wage jobs as "careers".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 12:58 PM

29,592 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old and tired View Post
I found the linked article below fascinating and so very eye-opening. It said that even in the best job market and economy nearly one-half of American workers have a median hourly wage of $12.00 an hour. The link did not work so cut and paste the address below:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...-to-go-around/

The work product from these jobs is very important in the success of America. Without the work of low wage labor, the life of everyone in America would be miserable and our economy would not operate. These workers get us food, clean up public places, take care of our kids and build America. But many of the workers in these jobs lack intellectual and language skills to move ahead.

Liberals and Democrats say the unskilled working in dead-end jobs deserve a living wage that would give them a middle-class lifestyle. Conservatives say that someone who has no work skills other than doing hard work does not deserve to live a middle-class life. Economists say if we paid unskilled workers at middle-class income, there would be huge layoffs and business closings and the low wage workers will be unemployed.

Is there any country on earth where people who have no work skills, other than just working hard, have obtained a middle-class salary and can live well?
Should have cared more in the 90's when we basically gave low cost countries millions of well paying jobs. I remember hearing "the US will be more of a service based economy".
We reap what we sow. Should have fought harder to keep those industries.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:03 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Should have cared more in the 90's when we basically gave low cost countries millions of well paying jobs. I remember hearing "the US will be more of a service based economy".
Yes. I remember when only teenagers worked at fast food jobs. Now people depend on those jobs to survive. That’s not an improvement in the human condition.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,982,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fighting harder in a political system can only happen with strong labor unions.

Destroy labor unions and workers stand zero chance. The elites know this simple truth: No country has ever created a strong public safety net and established good labor rights without strong labor unions. That's why its always their top priority to demolish the trade union movement.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:14 PM

3,338 posts, read 1,970,417 times
These types of jobs are necessary to help rebuild the economy after the disastrous years where democrats chose style over substance and elected the incompetent do nothing donkey obama.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:24 PM

20,182 posts, read 9,083,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Fighting harder in a political system can only happen with strong labor unions.

Destroy labor unions and workers stand zero chance. The elites know this simple truth: No country has ever created a strong public safety net and established good labor rights without strong labor unions. That's why its always their top priority to demolish the trade union movement.
Dems stance on immigration has ruined the trades. You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:41 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Correct, today’s Democrats no longer support labor unions or other policies that would help working class Americans. Today’s Democrats are basically just Republicans who happen to support the LGBT movement and other aggrieved minorities.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:44 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,982,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The all-out assault on the labor union movement commenced decades ago. Most workers in a highly developed society will be service workers. That includes everyone from store clerks to the typical office worker. There's no reason why labor unions should be destroyed just because there are fewer people working in the trades or manufacturing these days.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:59 PM

45,658 posts, read 27,291,457 times
Default "I'm proudly progressive... progressives should reconsider minimum-wage laws..."

This is what was written in the WSJ by a lady who lost her job by a company which is shutting down because of minimum wage hikes.

I'm not sure how many more times this has to happen before liberals/progressives figure this out.

It's really not a political position... it's math.

Seattle Restaurant Worker: I’m a Progressive, but the Minimum Wage Law Killed Jobs, Including Mine

This city’s minimum wage is rising to $16.39 an hour on Jan. 1. Instead of receiving a bigger paycheck, I’m left without any pay at all due to the policy change. That’s because the restaurant where I’ve worked for six years is closing as a consequence of the city’s harmful minimum-wage experiment.

When rent is too high, labor costs too much, and customers don’t want to pay $40 for a roast-chicken entree, the only way for many operators to ease the pain is to close.

I’ve lived in this city for almost 20 years, supporting my family thanks to the full-service-restaurant industry. Today I’m struggling because of a policy meant to help me. I’m proudly progressive in my politics, but my experience shows that progressives should reconsider minimum-wage laws that hurt the very workers they’re trying to protect.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:06 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,582,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is what was written in the WSJ by a lady who lost her job by a company which is shutting down because of minimum wage hikes.

I'm not sure how many more times this has to happen before liberals/progressives figure this out.

It's really not a political position... it's math.

Seattle Restaurant Worker: I’m a Progressive, but the Minimum Wage Law Killed Jobs, Including Mine

This city’s minimum wage is rising to $16.39 an hour on Jan. 1. Instead of receiving a bigger paycheck, I’m left without any pay at all due to the policy change. That’s because the restaurant where I’ve worked for six years is closing as a consequence of the city’s harmful minimum-wage experiment.

When rent is too high, labor costs too much, and customers don’t want to pay $40 for a roast-chicken entree, the only way for many operators to ease the pain is to close.

I’ve lived in this city for almost 20 years, supporting my family thanks to the full-service-restaurant industry. Today I’m struggling because of a policy meant to help me. I’m proudly progressive in my politics, but my experience shows that progressives should reconsider minimum-wage laws that hurt the very workers they’re trying to protect.
Oh please, like $40 meals is uncommon? TONS of restaurants have higher priced menus. Tons. And my state does not have a minimum wage of $15/hour so that has zero to do with it. And right there in the article it mentions high rent. That too is a fact. Having zero to do with a $15/hour minimum wage. Fact is, the food business is a tough business. Restaurants close down all the time having zero to do with $15/hour minimum wage. Turnover at restaurants is HUGE. That is the #1 complaint I hear from operators daily. Having zero to do with $15/hour minimum wage. That person can easily get a job at another restaurant, she could've gotten another job that very same day because restaurants are always looking for workers because, as I just said, turnover is huge in the food business.

Let me guess, you probably praise trump on the other threads mentioning higher wages (thank you $15/hour minimum wage) but then come on here complaining about that very same thing that gave people higher wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies