Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 07:46 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, you're overthinking this way too much.

Nobody has to "prove" or "argue" that there is a lot of machismo, bravado, and bloodlust being expressed in a discussion with some folks with guns. It's all right here - on these threads.
U.mm...yea. I do believe I said something about using a small sample to make blanket statements. I e run into my share of blowhards over time. In the world I have lived in they were certainly there.

But they are not even nearly close to being a majority. And if I'm "overthinking" could be cuz I'm making up for the. complete lack of thinking the poster I was responding to displayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:46 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Buckshot is more than adequate to stop a human. Even bird shot at close range. I tend to keep at least one slug in my pocket shotgunning bear country and some 00 buck in cat country.

True, and honestly talking about bears is getting way off topic.

But people exaggerating a weapon's capabilities has always been a pet peeve for me.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:57 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
AR15 for home protection?
What ever keeps you safe.. five home invaders , it keeps you safe.. they all should have stayed the hell out of somebodies home.

Last edited by Taratova; 12-30-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-30-2019, 10:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
True, and honestly talking about bears is getting way off topic.

But people exaggerating a weapon's capabilities has always been a pet peeve for me.
LMAO...Yea the exaggerations trip my trigger to. One poster who chimes in on the firearms rights threads is just...out there. Beyond the edge of reality.

Poor guy sees these anti gun types on YouTube holding an AK or AR saying " a 30 caliber clip that can unload in half a second" and actually buys it. Treats it as gospel. Saw it on the interweb so its gotta be true. And no telling g him otherwise.

It's a problem no doubt.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM

10,741 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
The term "Cop Killer" has been used to describe different types of ammo over the years, including hardened or "Teflon coated" projectiles.

But what I'm referring to here is the "Black Talon's" that made such a big stink back in the 80's.

These were a variation on the hollow point design.

Everyone freaked out about them at the time but the design wasn't really that radical compared with a more conventional hollow point and although the brand name is now gone, ammo with similar design is now readily available and has all but replaced old school hollow point design as a personal defense choice due to it's effectiveness and reduced tendancy for over penetration.
Cop Killer was a termed coined by the media to describe bullets believed (either rightly or wrongly) to be able to penetrate soft body armor worn by police. It was not a term applied to hollow point bullets. The only people calling the Black Talon “Cop Killers” would be those that don’t understand the genesis of the term.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You actually dont seem to understand much at all and are basing what you say on a small sample of people. The type of people the media likes to portray as what all "gun owners" are like.

The stereotypical unkempt, beer swilling, tabacco juice dribbling down a ragged beard, dressed in second hand BDU pants and flannel shirt with cutoff sleeves, brandishing an AR 15 with a Confederate battle flag behind him on the plywood patched siding of a crappy single wide sort.

Ah yes as someone said, there's that ubiquitous sexual fetish thing we all know and love. Pardon me...reaching for my eminous bag.

Given the leftist propensity to claim higher intellect and superior education over we sort that own and use firearms I would think they would be better armed (pun intended) to engage in discussion and debate of the subject of firearms rights.

Alas, it is not to be. Since a lifestyle that involves the ownership and use of firearms is anathema to them they prefer to rely on insult, innuendo, stereotyping, and blatant naked hatred to present their position.

It's quite sad actually that they spend so much time and money on "education" but dont use any of it. Preferring instead to use base emotion, misinformation, outright lies and insulting rhetoric.

That they portray we firearms owners as, and actually believe us to be, violent, uncontrollably angry, ignorant, raving lunatics showcases the very ignorance they claim to be so far above.

But this is how it is, how it has been and apparently how it will always be. At least until they find themselves in need of armed people to defend them. As they cower behind the first available cover in the face of an attack or run screaming as fast as they can leaving their loved ones in their wake to whatever fate awaits them.

And they label we who would stand and fight to defend those in need as cowards. Is it just me or does that seem just a tad off?
First of all, I said "too many". Not all.

Secondly, if you'd spend 1/10th the amount of time criticizing people with obvious issues celebrating this shooting as you do me (or even acknowledging the "too many"), you wouldn't be helping to prove my point.

And then there's of course the second half where you claim to be the hero while anyone who criticizes our gun culture a coward...with no means of substantiating either claim. And you talk about "base emotion".

The celebrating was going on, I criticized it, and you in turn choose to focus on the criticism rather than the sickness of some of your gun loving compatriots.

There IS a power fetish behind many who obsess over guns far beyond their use as practical tools. Mentioning it triggers sensitive reaction from gun lovers because they know it is true. It isn't just about self defense and target practice.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
3 teenage home invaders gunned down with AR15 by homeowner

The only thing that would make the story better is the home owner taking all 3 out with one bullet !!!

Waiting for just the right time for all the ducks to line up in a row requires skill and discipline !!!

Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO...Yea the exaggerations trip my trigger to. One poster who chimes in on the firearms rights threads is just...out there. Beyond the edge of reality.

Poor guy sees these anti gun types on YouTube holding an AK or AR saying " a 30 caliber clip that can unload in half a second" and actually buys it. Treats it as gospel. Saw it on the interweb so its gotta be true. And no telling g him otherwise.

It's a problem no doubt.

True.....I half expect him to chime in recommending the 475 LIMBAUGH as a good bear defense gun.....or claiming that it's too powerful to use against bears because it will go right through the bear's skull and out it's ass and kill your friend running away in the other direction.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Cop Killer was a termed coined by the media to describe bullets believed (either rightly or wrongly) to be able to penetrate soft body armor worn by police. It was not a term applied to hollow point bullets. The only people calling the Black Talon “Cop Killers” would be those that don’t understand the genesis of the term.

Back in the day, the media was calling them cop killers too.

https://youtu.be/S8mpPwChYFk.

(From guns.com)

"Black Talon bullets were coated in a black molybdenum disulfide, otherwise known as Lubalox, (not Teflon as was reported over and over again throughout the 90s). When the bullet expanded it formed six petals with perpendicular tips. After they were used in the 101 California Street Shootings and then the Long Island Railroad shooting, both in 1993, the media and those in office wasted little time in going after the Black Talon ammunition, now bearing the “cop killer” label.

The media frenzy made the bullets out to be so bad that it seemed a person could not survive any wound sustained by these projectiles—they would rip huge chunks out tissue and bone right out of your body. By the end of 1993, Winchester had pulled the Black Talon ammunition off the market as the company caved in to the hysteria surrounding the scandal. There was never any real proof that these bullets kill cops deader than other bullets but those at Winchester realized they were on the losing end of the battle."

Last edited by FatBob96; 12-30-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM

10,741 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Back in the day, the media was calling them cop killers too.

https://youtu.be/S8mpPwChYFk.

(From guns.com)

"Black Talon bullets were coated in a black molybdenum disulfide, otherwise known as Lubalox, (not Teflon as was reported over and over again throughout the 90s). When the bullet expanded it formed six petals with perpendicular tips. After they were used in the 101 California Street Shootings and then the Long Island Railroad shooting, both in 1993, the media and those in office wasted little time in going after the Black Talon ammunition, now bearing the “cop killer” label.

The media frenzy made the bullets out to be so bad that it seemed a person could not survive any wound sustained by these projectiles—they would rip huge chunks out tissue and bone right out of your body. By the end of 1993, Winchester had pulled the Black Talon ammunition off the market as the company caved in to the hysteria surrounding the scandal. There was never any real proof that these bullets kill cops deader than other bullets but those at Winchester realized they were on the losing end of the battle."
The point is that “Cop Killer” relates to armor penetration, not hollow point design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies