Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:06 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
End all the big business subsidies first, then we can talk.

Oh yeah, cut the defense expenditures in half too.

the world went thru two world wars with perhaps 100 million deaths and quadrillions of property damage and somehow we are still here...yes cut the FAT out of the durn "defense" budget...

because GOD was considerate and put two oceans to protect our country we profited to become the world trade leader lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Per our system, when a couple produces a child/children, they are supposed to provide for their families by working. Thanks to Trump, there has never been a better time in the past 20 years to be working. So there is no need for housing vouchers. Let the free market/consumers determine what housing should cost, not the government. I tend to agree, the market would self correct and housing would become much more affordable for the average family. Slum lord democrats won't like it, that's for sure.
This assumes housing prices are affordable. If there are too few decent paying jobs in a town, they won't be.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The vast majority of the Section 8 vouchers are in apartments or condos. Very hard for a Section 8 to find a SFR that will rent to them. Checked the rentals in the nicer areas of Las Vegas. Found less than 1% will rent to a Section 8.
And in very expensive housing markets, the Section 8 waiting lists have been closed for years.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:09 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
So can someone explain how section 8 actually works? I'm assuming there is some reasonable cap on the maximum amount of assistance S8 will actually provide, maybe 80% of the low end of rents? It's supposed to help pay for housing, not provide everything. What are the details?

Old 12-28-2019, 06:11 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then how would you punish deadbeats who are too lazy to work and aren't worthy of any more welfare? If they become homeless, jailing them would only be giving a free roof over their heads along with free food and medical care.
We had a situation locally where a man appealed to the county jail to house him in a cold snap. They refused and he broke out two windows to get himself arrested so that he could have heat and food. The damages were over $2000.

Sheriff: Man committed crime so he could be housed in jail

Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh well. I hate paying 7 trillion for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hate giving money to Israel and Egypt. I hate spending hundreds of billions defending Japan, South Korea and Europe.

I won’t even consider cutting an American off of a social program until we stop sending so much of our largesse to benefit non Americans.

I mostly agree with you, but I don't think we should offer the poor housing vouchers in really expensive cities or expensive neighborhoods. We should offer them vouchers to live in less expensive locales.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:14 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I though under MrT we where all doing biggly? Lots of jobs - money in the bank and a chicken in every pot! This does not add up ! Oh oh I get it the slum lords under capitalism have rents jacked up because nobody can afford the house that 5 yrs ago was $200k. Now $750K. Well isn’t MrT economy fixing all this ?

Old 12-28-2019, 06:15 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We had a situation locally where a man appealed to the county jail to house him in a cold snap. They refused and he broke out two windows to get himself arrested so that he could have heat and food. The damages were over $2000.

Sheriff: Man committed crime so he could be housed in jail
The solution: for-profit homeless shelters. Americans will support anything that is for-profit...prisons, healthcare, colleges, churches...

Old 12-28-2019, 06:20 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So can someone explain how section 8 actually works? I'm assuming there is some reasonable cap on the maximum amount of assistance S8 will actually provide, maybe 80% of the low end of rents? It's supposed to help pay for housing, not provide everything. What are the details?
https://affordablehousingonline.com/...help/section-8

Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Under no circumstances should Section 8 vouchers be used for houses when there are 100 million self-supporting Americans living in apartments because they can't afford a house. Why should those on the government dole get to live a HIGHER lifestyle than people who support themselves?
Because they were born poor, and our system keeps them poor. It’s not an accident.

If you hate HUD spending, then you should be a champion of polices that educate the underprivileged.
Hint...Educating them is much cheaper than subsidizing their entire lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies