Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What % of the black vote will President Trump receive in the 2020 election?
20%+ 38 33.93%
15-20% 21 18.75%
10-15% 11 9.82%
5-10% 18 16.07%
0-5% 24 21.43%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think the Democrats & left will be shocked, and again sky screaming LOL, at the 2020 election results.

Trump is gaining with the black vote, and the Democrats will be shocked at the level of support Trump will get.

The Democrat candidates have nothing of much value to offer in 2020, so Trump is re-elected for sure.
so why didnt that work for Trump in 2018 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Trump Approval Among Blacks Tops 34 Percent in Emerson Poll

Rasmussen - Fact Check: We are at 34%. Emerson apparently at 34.5%

And recall that I said "as high as the 30s with black voters" and was not saying it's his polling average or some rock solid metric. In the Emerson poll article, they even reference polls where he is in the teens. So it can be as high as that, with margins of error in the 7-8% range, and I put his current polling average (using my off the cuff average and the "Trump always under-polls" correction) with black voters somewhere at 18-21%, and that will be adjusted by Dem enthusiasm just as Indentured Servant posits. If the Dems get serious enthusiasm, that percent will go down to like 14-16%, but if they don't, he can easily top 20%. Regardless, it's a good bit higher than the 4-5% most GOP pols get from black voters.
Here is an opinion piece about the Emerson poll and about blacks voting for Trump in 2020 that I found very interesting:

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/comm...ort-1.39184208

Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Trump wasn't the one running in 2018.

Did enthusiasm for Obama ever translate down the ballot for Democrats? Ever? Nope.

Charisma is non-transferable.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Trump wasn't the one running in 2018.

Did enthusiasm for Obama ever translate down the ballot for Democrats? Ever? Nope.

Charisma is non-transferable.
False equivalency.

The argument being made is a shift in black support. no one switched sides in 2010, Republicans just got their voters to turn out while Dems stayed home.

The argument for Trump is that he is changing black minds, that didnt happen in 2018. Even if Trump himself wasnt on the ballot, they should have supported his allies. Even if it was at lower turnout levels.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:19 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Let's be honest. It would take a miracle to change the black vote. Not because the democrat party has done a damned thing for people of color in the last 30 years, but because people are loath to change.

Blacks should both register and vote Independent. Do they really believe that Nancy Pelosi gives a damned about them or can possibly relate to them? Sanders? Warren? Biden? Schumer? Hillary? LOL Waters?

No they need to break away from the democrat party and make both the Democrats and the GOP earn their votes.
I disagree with the bold. As my "byline" indicates, I am a former liberal who changed to moderate starting in 2009, after always voting for the Democrat POTUS candidate from 1972 through 2008, and I have gone from a right-in-the-center moderate to "leans conservative" in just the last year! So if an "old lady" can make such a change, then why can't many blacks?

I do agree with your last two paragraphs, though! (Well, maybe not go to the GOP, but I think they need to not vote for an extremely liberal Democrat in 2020 in protest and show the DNC that they need to pay more attention to the needs of U.S. citizens who are underprivileged.)

Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
False equivalency.

The argument being made is a shift in black support. no one switched sides in 2010, Republicans just got their voters to turn out while Dems stayed home.

The argument for Trump is that he is changing black minds, that didnt happen in 2018. Even if Trump himself wasnt on the ballot, they should have supported his allies. Even if it was at lower turnout levels.
Trump wasn't running in 2018.

The equivalency is spot on btw, because 2010 was going to be the year the final destruction of the GOP took place, because Obama was teh awesomez!! But Obama wasn't running, everyone else was. How'd 2010 go again? Federal, state, local? All those independents and center right right folks were all going to abandon the GOP and join team Obama for the big win...except no, they didn't.

Obama was singular to himself. No coattails, same as Trump. Black support for the GOP is quite possibly and even likely still around 4-5%, but that isn't Trump the singular individual. He might get 20% of the black vote next year while the rest of the GOP gets nada. Charisma is non-transferable.

He's polling individually, among minorities, better than any GOP pol in the last 30 years. The party can go pound sand, but he's ding fine.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Trump himself wasn't on the ticket. I think folks are more energized to vote if it is a presidential election.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Trump wasn't running in 2018.

The equivalency is spot on btw, because 2010 was going to be the year the final destruction of the GOP took place, because Obama was teh awesomez!! But Obama wasn't running, everyone else was. How'd 2010 go again? Federal, state, local? All those independents and center right right folks were all going to abandon the GOP and join team Obama for the big win...except no, they didn't.
No, it wasnt spot on, and no one said 2010 was going to be the final destruction of the GOP, again, its not hard to google something like Cook Political report and see people saw dems taking a net lose in 2010 way before election night.

2010 was only a decade ago, i dont see how you people rewrite history in such a way.

Quote:
Obama was singular to himself. No coattails, same as Trump. Black support for the GOP is quite possibly and even likely still around 4-5%, but that isn't Trump the singular individual. He might get 20% of the black vote next year while the rest of the GOP gets nada. Charisma is non-transferable.

He's polling individually, among minorities, better than any GOP pol in the last 30 years. The party can go pound sand, but he's ding fine.
Barack Obama absolutely had coattails in 2008, less so in 2012,but still , he had them.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Trump himself wasn't on the ticket. I think folks are more energized to vote if it is a presidential election.
I dont deny the second half of your post, but if the argument from the GOP is about say "Blexit" or "walk away", then shouldnt those numbers be reflected at every level ?

It shouldnt just be Trump, it should be the GOP overall, less you actually claim the same person voting for John Lewis in Georgia is also going to cast a vote for Trump.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:35 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
I dont deny the second half of your post, but if the argument from the GOP is about say "Blexit" or "walk away", then shouldnt those numbers be reflected at every level ?

It shouldnt just be Trump, it should be the GOP overall, less you actually claim the same person voting for John Lewis in Georgia is also going to cast a vote for Trump.
I think Trump is an anomaly. I don't think past trends and presidents can predict outcomes for him. He's definitely a disruptor.

I think a lot of folks who will vote for him behind a curtain at the ballot won't tell a lot of their family or friends. It can't be reflected in polls.

Trump has always had black friends and has been super supportive of the black community. The mainstream media wants the public to think otherwise, therefore painting him as a "racist." Further eroding any trust in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies