Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,057,057 times

Advertisements

I carry everywhere I go...…..just the way it is. Maybe if I lived in the Caymans I wouldn't, but I don't....so I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Maybe you should read what Kathryn wrote again.
Two were killed by the gunman. We don't know who as the names have not been released. The lives of those with guns are no more valuable than those without guns.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. I've read that several times. Nowhere do I see where it says anyone who was armed, other than the gunman, was injured or killed.

Can you please quote the section you're referring to? Thanks.
Two lost their lives. What difference does it make whether they were packing heat or not?

Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 PM

33,865 posts, read 16,906,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Two were killed by the gunman. We don't know who as the names have not been released. The lives of those with guns are no more valuable than those without guns.

The life of the criminal was worthless.

This piece of trash will not harm anyone, ever again.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,487,967 times
Quote:

Nobody said they were. They are less likely to be victims however because they put the bad guy down quickly. Also, why are you so hopeful that one or more of those shooting back would be killed. They are heroes that prevented more innocent deaths. Why would you want them to die? Because they dare to LEGALLY carry a gun then saved lives with it?

Old 12-29-2019, 07:00 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
No one is saying their lives are worth more or less. All anyone is saying is that there is no indication that anyone who was armed and/or who was shooting at the gunman was killed, which was your original premise. You're moving the goalposts.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Two lost their lives. What difference does it make whether they were packing heat or not?
Is that goalpost heavy?

Old 12-29-2019, 07:01 PM

15,321 posts, read 8,926,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Japan. Mostly the Osaka area, but I've traveled the whole country. I still go there at least once a year for about three weeks or so. There are so many differences between Japan and the U.S. that it would take forever to list them all. But one of the biggest differences, in my opinion, is that Japanese culture emphasizes respect for others from day one. It's built into their educational system, their traditions, their familial relationships, workplaces, and just about everywhere else. It's remarkable and to be admired in my opinion.

Here in the U.S. things are different. We are fostering a culture of narcissistic, disrespectful, self-entitled, uninformed, "social justice warriors," who seriously spend their time worrying about whether or not to allow men into the women's bathroom rather than focusing on the real problems facing our society. It's hopelessly stupid to believe the U.S. is going in the right direction.

Gun violence in U.S. has nothing to do with people having access to guns. Guns are available for purchase in almost every country I have ever been in, however, in most of the rest of the World there is real investment in mental healthcare, social safety nets and teaching the core values that make those countries so much safer and frankly more pleasant to live in. Here we have a predatory culture that promotes self interest over everything else. We've abandoned our heritage, our values and our traditions, so no one should be surprised that violence has become ubiquitous here.

Americans shouldn't blame guns for violence. They should blame themselves when they hand their kids an iPad because they'd rather watch American Idol than take them to the park. They should blame themselves when they eat dinner in front of their TV instead of at the table with their family. They should blame themselves when they don't take the time to teach their children and each other about respect, honor and personal sacrifice.

The problem isn't with the guns. The problem is with the people and our priorities.
In that case, Japan sounds like a better candidate for unrestricted gun ownership then US. Let's pack up all the guns and send them over there. So the guns can be in the hands of truly responsible gun owners, and not in the hands of narcissistic, disrespectful, self-entitled, uninformed, "social justice warriors.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:02 PM

Jojajn - from your post #151:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have not read or seen any coverage stating that anyone who was armed (other than the gunman) was killed. Thank goodness.

(And this is your response
Here:

Suspect shoots and kills 2 inside a Texas church before parishioners fatally shoot him

Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM

And jojajn, from your post #142:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No they are not. One innocent person has died so far and he wasn't one of the men returning fire. They other that has died was the CRIMINAL SHOOTER.

So you were HOPING innocent, law abiding citizens protecting the others would DIE just because they legally carry a gun and used them in self defense? That is sick and disgusting.

(And your response
Sorry to break it to you.

3 killed, including gunman, in Texas church shooting during live-streamed service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies