Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 03:58 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,266,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm not sure if we've had a church shooting in a blue state yet. People in blue states don't usually carry guns and definitely wouldn't take them to church. Funny how it's the gun fetish states that have all the church shootings.
No not funny but sad. And using the words gun fetish really makes you look bad. Disappointing since you’re a mod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Murphy's law...
No, just you making up random crap!

Old 12-31-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Law abiding citizen shoots and kills murderer before he can murder more innocent people.

Who could possibly have a problem with that?
Yeah one would think....

Old 12-31-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No.
I just feel like it’s important to be cautious about making people think they can be potential heroes because they’ve got a gun.
Trying to fulfill some John Wayne fantasy...
So your answer is what??? Just let everyone get shot?

Old 12-31-2019, 04:44 AM

30,566 posts, read 18,069,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Once, or week after week?
Stuff like this weighs on people's minds forever.

I ask because I have a relative who once killed an intruder who had broken in, intending to rob the house while everyone was away.
it was a clear case of self-defense, and he wasn't ever charged with an offense, but he and his family all had to walk the staircase where he shot the guy daily, and it troubled them all so much he sold the house and moved.
It had been their family home for about 70 years and was well-loved until then.

Yet there are black churches that were bombed or set on fire where several people were killed, and the church still stands, still filled with active worship weekly.

It makes me wonder about the reactions that linger after such events. Obviously, neither of us is right or wrong.

Same outcome with different circumstances in each of my instances. I can only speak for myself in something like this. Violent death does change a person's thoughts forever afterwards.
I'd like to think week after week. As you mentioned, there are numerous black churches that have been the targets of bombings and, more recently, racist mass shootings (the Charleston shooting). Their congregations stood by their churches and none of those churches had the benefit of armed security from what I gather.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:28 AM

11,681 posts, read 5,700,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
No not funny but sad. And using the words gun fetish really makes you look bad. Disappointing since you’re a mod.
Since most in blue states have concealed carry - people don't know if they carry or not. The people I know with concealed carry - carry their guns everywhere. Funny that I just researched the state with the lowest gun ownership and 10 of the 13 have the toughest gun laws. Looking on Wiki under mass shootings - in the past 3 months - these states have over 30% of the multiple shooting incidents.

Now tell me again how these enhanced laws are making states safer - criminals don't follow the law. Mind you - I do not like guns - have fired one once at a range - put the bullet in the ceiling and said enough for me - have never touched one again but even my most liberal friends - who are single females have gotten their gun licenses due to break ins in our suburbs.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:15 AM

2,102 posts, read 996,967 times
Some have suggested installing a metal detector at the entrance to churches. But this is NOT the answer: it would only create a large 'target rich' mass of concentrated parishioners waiting to go through the detector.

Better to have a trained Quick Response Team to deal with a Clear And Present Danger as was done here - only six seconds and one shot, and the threat was eliminated. Major kudos to the ex-FBI agent who reacted instantaneously and accurately!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:20 AM

19,159 posts, read 16,976,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And the left believes this man would obey gun laws.
I may have missed it but did it say where the shooter got the weapon from?

Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 AM

57,075 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What's your suggestion, they hug the gunman?

Only one thing stops mass shooters, an opposing gun.
Armed guards worked well in this particular instance, just making the point that isn't a solution to our problem. I don't see many places of worship having armed guards but every place is different. So now churches in Texas that don't want guns need to post no guns allowed signs, weird. So how far do we go with this, armed guards in movie theatres, at high school sporting events, shopping malls, more guns everywhere.

The solution is to keep guns away from mentally ill people.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:43 AM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Armed guards worked well in this particular instance, just making the point that isn't a solution to our problem. I don't see many places of worship having armed guards but every place is different. So now churches in Texas that don't want guns need to post no guns allowed signs, weird. So how far do we go with this, armed guards in movie theatres, at high school sporting events, shopping malls, more guns everywhere.

The solution is to keep guns away from mentally ill people.
Mentally ill will still get firearms. They steal them. The mosque by my house has armed staff. It's wrong to think there is a fool proof method of stopping someone with ill intent from trying. We can at least deter with armed staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies