Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 09:52 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Mr. Kinnunen, 43, had been arrested a number of times in the Fort Worth area for charges that included aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Then in 2016, he was arrested in Linden, N.J., after police found him with a 12-gauge shotgun and rounds in the area of a Phillips 66 refinery, according to a news report in mycentraljersey.com at the time.
Mr. Kinnunen told the Linden police that he was traveling from Texas but was homeless, and was taking photos of interesting sites, the report said. At the time, he was wanted on a court warrant in Oklahoma for felony aggravated assault.
Mr. Kinnunen faced charges of speeding, theft, assault and disorderly conduct in Pima County, Ariz., between 2003 and 2014, petit larceny in Las Vegas in 2011, theft in San Luis Obispo County, Calif., in 2010, and aggravated assault and battery in 2011 and arson in 2012 in Grady County, Okla.

Maybe I did not word my previous question correctly - why was this person not in jail?
Ask the courts. People get arrested, they get out on bail or do their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Nope. Maryland and Texas have about the same gun murder rate according to this chart:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...aths-by-state/
That's gun death rates, not murder rates. Suicides make up at least 6 out of 10 gun deaths.

According to your source, the homicide rate for Maryland is about double that of Texas. Most homicides are committed with a firearm. Also, most homicides are gang related.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...rate-by-state/

Old 12-31-2019, 10:01 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is illegal for them to have them, yet they do.

You solution is hardly a solution. Its not realistic any more they saying because I despise cancer, were we to pass a law making it illegal, no one would ever have it again.
Reporting of mental illness by the states is anemic, lack of time to do background checks all add to the problem. No other country has this type of problem, why is that?

Old 12-31-2019, 10:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Reporting of mental illness by the states is anemic, lack of time to do background checks all add to the problem. No other country has this type of problem, why is that?
Apart from cultural differences, most other countries also have better control of their gun stock than the US does (I'd imagine that there are many millions of illegal guns in the US, making it easy to get your hands on a firearm if you want to). In the US, we are at the point of no return and any attempt to get a better grasp on the gun stock here via, say, confiscation (as other countries have done) would do nothing more than disarm the law abiding. It would be like trying to re-institute prohibition. Not to mention, it would be grossly unconstitutional.

Still, the fundamental flaw with your approach is that you're only mentally ill for purposes of gun ownership if you've been adjudicated as such by a court or other legal process. Thus, apart from reporting issues (and most states report just fine), you'd still have plenty of mentally ill people who aren't legally "mentally ill" who would be able to gain access to firearms under the most stringent of background checks law.

In any event, I'm still waiting for leftists to provide examples of where stronger background checks would have stopped the mass shootings that have happened in this country. These shooters have either stolen weapons or generally passed background checks (and were not mentally adjudicated as being ill). The approach may sound good to you, but I'm looking for solutions that will actually make a difference (as judged by actual evidence on the need for such).

Old 12-31-2019, 10:11 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Guns have turned our country into a higher gun violence country than Somalia!

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...d-States/Crime

I'll pay for a one way ticket for you....

Old 12-31-2019, 10:14 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Interesting! Your map shows that the red states have by far the highest gun violence in our country!
And most of the gun deaths are in the Democrat controlled cities.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM

As I've stated, my brother is seriously mentally ill and this will show up on a background check, but that really doesn't do much to keep him from possession of firearms.

He knows it's illegal. Hey, murder is illegal, drug abuse is illegal, gang activity is often illegal, hate crimes are illegal, heck adultery is illegal - does something being ILLEGAL stop people from doing it?

Old 12-31-2019, 10:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Guns have turned our country into a higher gun violence country than Somalia!

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...d-States/Crime
You believe inanimate objects make people violent?

Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
As long as the mentally ill (even with long criminal records) are allowed to run wild, this is what we get.

Frankly, with that guy's mental and menacing looking outfit, he should not have been allowed to enter that service.

Oh, but lest ye judge.... ok then. Too much non-judgement has gotten us here and will get us to much darker places in the future as we continue to empty out the prisons, ignore mental illness, encourage drug use, etc.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting! Your map shows that the red states have by far the highest gun violence in our country!
Here are the top ten states for homicide rates:

Louisiana - swing state
Missouri - Currently red but historically blue (all recent years from 1993 through 2016 except for 2005-2008)
Alaska - generally red
Maryland - Blue - but hey, they do have the Bread and Roses Party! Woohoo!
New Mexico - Blue
Alabama - Red
South Carolina - Red
Tennessee - Red
Arkansas - Red
Illinois - Blue

So five "red" states, two swing states, and three "blue" states. Seems like a mixed bag to me. And one of "red" states has a very mixed bag and is basically a swing state but I was feeling magnanimous since I know that most violent crime happens in major cities and most major cities vote blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies