Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 10:53 PM

8,328 posts, read 2,958,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Guns have turned our country into a higher gun violence country than Somalia!

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...d-States/Crime
With rape being the acceptable norm there women should be given guns. They don’t report rape because rape is not a crime. A women is punished for suggesting she was raped. They don’t report rape or murder. Your comment is bogus. Much more violence in Somalia. Those pirates aren’t Swedish.

Burying women to their neck and stoning them to death in front of large crowds. Yeah, that’s not violence. She deserved it. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 02:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
1. Do you have an armed security officer license?
2. Have you been properly trained in the type of weapon you carry?
3. Do you have a mental health evaluation certifying that you are fit for that job?

If you can answer yes to all of the above questions, this liberal approves of you carrying a gun.
1. Yes, I wrote one up on a napkin for myself a few days ago.

2. Yes. I go to the range to stay proficient.

3. Yes. I did not vote for a single Democrat last election.

You see, I checked each box.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:26 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There were 67 killed in California in mass shootings between 2017 and 2019 (I just looked up the same years you looked up). And I just want to point out that Texas is a lot bigger.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

But if you throw in Nevada right next door to California, to make up the difference in land mass, you'd have to add another 59 dead to that body count. Come to think of it, when you add those two states together, it's about the same amount of square miles as Texas.

All that being said, I'd say we have a national problem, not a state problem.
OMG you are rationalizing. That is a list of mass shootings in the United States, not just in California. Only nine of those were in California, in that time period, and some of those don't even qualify as mass shootings, because only one person was killed. One person killed is not a mass shooting. And you measure it by population not land mass. Texas has more land so it should have more shootings? But hey, whatever makes you feel better about the non stop mass shootings in your state. If I was living there I'd probably try to rationalize it too.

November 17, 2019 Fresno, California 4
November 14, 2019 Santa Clarita, California 3
October 31, 2019 Orinda, California 5
July 28, 2019 Gilroy, California 4
April 27, 2019 Poway, California 1
November 7, 2018 Thousand Oaks, California 13
April 3, 2018 San Bruno, California 1
March 9, 2018 Yountville, California 5
November 13, 2017 Tehama County, California 6

Old 01-02-2020, 06:36 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, it goes with the population, not land mass. How many mass shootings does Antarctica have?
What people will do to rationalize gun violence.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Only nine of those were in California, in that time period, and some of those don't even qualify as mass shootings, because only one person was killed. One person killed is not a mass shooting. And you measure it by population not land mass. Texas has more land so it should have more shootings? But hey, whatever makes you feel better about the non stop mass shootings in your state. If I was living there I'd probably try to rationalize it too.

Quote:
That is a list of mass shootings in the United States, not just in California.
Yeah, my bad. Sorry for expecting you to be able to toggle onscreen and look up different states, like I did.

And these are mass shootings, not mass killings, so right - sometimes people were injured but not killed.

And I've already measured the rates PER CAPITA and given sources, over and over again, so this was just one other way of looking at it, since for instance, Las Vegas (home to the most notorious mass shooting - and killing - in the history of the US) is less than 50 miles from California's state line. Do you know how far Houston is from El Paso? I'll tell you - 745 miles. From Sacramento to San Diego is about 500 miles. Las Vegas is only 270 miles from Los Angeles.

I'm just trying to put some perspective on things.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:30 PM

133 posts, read 87,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry, is someone on this forum making this argument - that everyone, regardless of training or mental capacity, should just carry guns?

Have you seen the footage of the shooting scene by the way? Multiple people, from all different angles, did stand up and draw their weapons - but they didn't shoot, in spite of the fear and chaos and screaming.
I can certainly say that when I hear the 'good guy with a gun argument', it's not referring to trained security personnel. It's a generic talking point that doesn't specify a "good guy with a gun who has extensive training and is on duty to protect."

Yes, I watched the video. The armed security took care of the issue very quickly. The point I was making is that if there was no armed security who took the shooter down immediately, it would have been a much crazier scene if any other armed individuals had fired and missed. Which 'good guy' decides who shoots first?

Old 01-02-2020, 03:42 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Domestic terrorism has soared under Trump. It's one of his "accomplishments."
Yep MAGA.

I've always known that irritating slogan was referencing an idealized period of time that didn't exist for all Americans. I never thought it was going to drag us back to the Wild West

Old 01-02-2020, 04:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I can certainly say that when I hear the 'good guy with a gun argument', it's not referring to trained security personnel. It's a generic talking point that doesn't specify a "good guy with a gun who has extensive training and is on duty to protect."

Yes, I watched the video. The armed security took care of the issue very quickly. The point I was making is that if there was no armed security who took the shooter down immediately, it would have been a much crazier scene if any other armed individuals had fired and missed. Which 'good guy' decides who shoots first?
Well, actually two "good guys" apparently shot the armed shooter. I don't know how they decided who would shoot him. Do you?

At least five people drew their weapons on the scene, but they didn't fire them. Pretty sure they would have if they had felt they had to, but they didn't.

And I'm pretty sure there were more armed people there also.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:22 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Yep MAGA.

I've always known that irritating slogan was referencing an idealized period of time that didn't exist for all Americans. I never thought it was going to drag us back to the Wild West

So, killing a person that was clearly on a mission to kill as many as possible.....is now considered the "wild west"?

Can you make this crap up folks? To include the other person who said (paraphrasing) killers are also good people.....

Old 01-02-2020, 04:28 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
Quote:
OMG you are rationalizing. That is a list of mass shootings in the United States, not just in California. Only nine of those were in California, in that time period, and some of those don't even qualify as mass shootings, because only one person was killed. One person killed is not a mass shooting. And you measure it by population not land mass. Texas has more land so it should have more shootings? But hey, whatever makes you feel better about the non stop mass shootings in your state. If I was living there I'd probably try to rationalize it too.

Not true. Mass murder as defined by the FBI is four or more dead victims. No one has to die in order to be designated as a mass shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies