Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 06:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't think citing that a lot of Boomers are still working matters one bit. I'm not sure why that keeps getting brought up. Who cares? It doesn't change that Boomers are leaving the next generation a massive debt of trillions. It doesn't change that working people are supplementing Medicare recipients and as shown by that chart, the gap between contributions and benefits INCREASES over time. The gap is not closing, the gap is increasing. And Medicare Part D? That added over a half a trillion to the debt, it was not paid for, stop ignoring that part.

Now - say the gap was only $75,000 per recipient instead of $200,000. It doesn't change the fact that the recipients are being heavily supplemented by those still working.

The contributions should be increased immediately and by a lot, for everyone but especially for Boomers that are still working. They will benefit the soonest, they should start paying in more immediately.
Look at the top wage and see when people stop paying for Social Security, each year. Do you think that millionaires pay every paycheck? If they did, everyone would be guaranteed Social Security and Medicare. This was brought up years ago but the Republicans thought that it would be a hardship for millionaires.

Vent your anger in the correct direction and you might be surprised how many people of all ages support you. If you keep up this garbage, we will continue to tell you that you're wrong, because you are.

All Boomers are not on Social Security or Medicare. All Boomers are not Republicans, nor did all Boomers vote for Trump. You can't paint us all with a big brush. Now sit down and find out about the WWII generation and the Silent generation.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
I don't think citing that a lot of Boomers are still working matters one bit. I'm not sure why that keeps getting brought up. Who cares? It doesn't change that Boomers are leaving the next generation a massive debt of trillions. It doesn't change that working people are supplementing Medicare recipients and as shown by that chart, the gap between contributions and benefits INCREASES over time. The gap is not closing, the gap is increasing. And Medicare Part D? That added over a half a trillion to the debt, it was not paid for, stop ignoring that part.

Now - say the gap was only $75,000 per recipient instead of $200,000. It doesn't change the fact that the recipients are being heavily supplemented by those still working.

The contributions should be increased immediately and by a lot, for everyone but especially for Boomers that are still working. They will benefit the soonest, they should start paying in more immediately.
Saddle up and start paying up then. Vote for increases in your taxes. Vote for the government to manage more of your money. Be sure to insist that it increases as you age while you're at it.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Moving the goalposts, no?
That's how that poster rolls.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Saddle up and start paying up then. Vote for increases in your taxes. Vote for the government to manage more of your money. Be sure to insist that it increases as you age while you're at it.
I don't see any Boomers saying "yes, we should all be paying more because I can see how the benefits I will be drawing are in no way paid for". That would be too honest for Boomers. Instead it's "vote for increases in your taxes (not ours!). Shown the math, the Boomer response is always going to be that it's not their fault, even though it is clearly shown they didn't pay near what they will draw in benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Look at the top wage and see when people stop paying for Social Security, each year. Do you think that millionaires pay every paycheck? If they did, everyone would be guaranteed Social Security and Medicare. This was brought up years ago but the Republicans thought that it would be a hardship for millionaires.

Vent your anger in the correct direction and you might be surprised how many people of all ages support you. If you keep up this garbage, we will continue to tell you that you're wrong, because you are.

All Boomers are not on Social Security or Medicare. All Boomers are not Republicans, nor did all Boomers vote for Trump. You can't paint us all with a big brush. Now sit down and find out about the WWII generation and the Silent generation.
With all due respect, I do not expect Boomers to agree with me. They are going to quickly point fingers at anyone else but themselves. That's how we got here and that's why they will leave the big flaming $20+ trillion dollar mess for those that follow to clean up. They will wash their hands of it, shrug their shoulders, say it's not their fault and retire, using as many tax dollars as they possibly can while also happily approving of things like billions to farmers and coal miner pensions. It will be the generations that follow that will struggle to pay the enormous tab left for them.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I don't see any Boomers saying "yes, we should all be paying more because I can see how the benefits I will be drawing are in no way paid for". That would be too honest for Boomers. Instead it's "vote for increases in your taxes (not ours!). Shown the math, the Boomer response is always going to be that it's not their fault, even though it is clearly shown they didn't pay near what they will draw in benefits.
My husband and I pay at least $60,000 a year in taxes, often more, and have for years. And we've always paid our taxes, regardless of the rate, regardless of the administration, and will continue to do so.

We also pay $1100 a month for health insurance, with a $6750 EACH deductible. But hey, that's OK, because we've got pediatric dental and maternity coverage! Yeehaw!

We've also saved and saved our entire lives and thank goodness we won't be relying on SS to retire.

Yeah, sorry but I don't feel particularly guilty.

But if a higher tax rate is voted in - by you or anyone else - of course we'll continue paying - as we have for decades. And then we'll die, because death and taxes are about the only two things we're all guaranteed.

And then you'll be old and younger generations will be giving you the stink eye. It's the cycle of life.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When millenials take their naivety to work and get laughed at for their demands and get nothing without effort at their jobs, they'll realize that the government won't be giving them anything despite politicians promises.
The government is not their parents. They'll learn this and then support for progressive hucksters will dry up.
I've never heard of any young person being unreasonable in their demands when hired for a job.
I know of no young person asking anything of the govt.

I can't imagine what kind of world you all live in where the young people around you are behaving so badly.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:

I dont know if you are a millenial, but its a sad state of thinking to say boomers left you in debt and they consume benefits through medicare . Wouldnt you take care of your parents when they are old?? Taking care of old and the poor are core functions of good and developed societies.

Dont blame the debt nonsense on others. National debt means nothing to me except a few more dollars in taxes. I was a classic armchair critic about national debt and all that nonsense, but one user here asked me "why are you agitated about national debt, while you cannot even handle your own debt" ? It was quite a question and i cleaned up mine. I am noticing that people who arent able to do something seem to take it out on others. ( including me) .

Have you done yours??

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
I've done mine... I'm free of debt I say, free.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And then you'll be old and younger generations will be giving you the stink eye. It's the cycle of life.
What I see is that the Millennials generally complain about the Boomers more than we ever complained about our parents. It's like they think we owe them something. Most of us found jobs, paid taxes, and saved for retirement. If we live out our years being comfortable it's because we earned it, not because we cheated them out of anything.

As far as taxes and the national debt, we payed what we had to pay no matter which party was running the show. It never mattered that much to me. The government was never good at managing money and probably never will be. Blame them for the waste and useless programs that raise the national debt, not a whole generation of people.

Every generation wants better things for their kids; better than they had it. Goes without saying. If there is one fault of the Boomers maybe it's not instilling the right work ethic. You want something, work for it. Nobody owes you anything, and nothing in life is free or easy.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
What I see is that the Millennials generally complain about the Boomers more than we ever complained about our parents. It's like they think we owe them something. Most of us found jobs, paid taxes, and saved for retirement. If we live out our years being comfortable it's because we earned it, not because we cheated them out of anything.

As far as taxes and the national debt, we payed what we had to pay no matter which party was running the show. It never mattered that much to me. The government was never good at managing money and probably never will be. Blame them for the waste and useless programs that raise the national debt, not a whole generation of people.

Every generation wants better things for their kids; better than they had it. Goes without saying. If there is one fault of the Boomers maybe it's not instilling the right work ethic. You want something, work for it. Nobody owes you anything, and nothing in life is free or easy.
I don’t think you guys as a whole owe anything.

But policies were voted in that affected the future.

Take L.A. for example. People back then voted to not build, keep L.A. the same. With that, L.A. became the traffic infested place that it is with lack of public transit.

Newer generations voted for higher density and more transit as a way to allow people to drive less if they choose and live closer. But older generations fought back. They called it “the manhattanization of L.A.” They tried to pass Measure S that would halt all construction in the city. We beat that.

But that’s mostly why people are mad at boomers because they have the “f* the next gen I gots mines!” Mentality.

And Im not saying all boomers.

I know that many of us probably won’t see the improvements for a very time time in the city, but the next generation will, and it will be more improved for them.

Imo, thats what separates us. That we want things improved for the next generation, while the older generations wanna load up as much cash as possible and not think about how future generations will be affected.

Again I don’t wanna generalize because I know there are many boomers that care. Id say its mostly the conservative boomers that are disliked...

Hell, GenZ is alot younger and thry already feel their future is being played with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies