Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 08:53 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The problem with the current generation is, the selective draft ended way to early.
It never should have ended at all.
When one was given the responsibility of serving the country in uniform, they were also trained to be respectful of everyone.
They were taught discipline, and how to improvise, so upon one's duty ending, they were prepared both morally, and intellectually to build on their strengths.
They were taught self reliance, so they would not need to rely on others for their survival.
This current generation is just a waste of good old fashion love making, as far as I am concerned.

Bob.
Boomer here. Most Boomers I know did their darndest to avoid the draft and if there had been a draft in 2001 Boomer moms would have absolutely insured that there would not be a war in the Mideast and their boys would never be drafted.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:24 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
To quote Gen-Xer Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8

Old 12-30-2019, 09:33 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That man is correct. I watched his next video too.

He says what I've been saying and I am an older boomer--says that there are two generations of boomers.
Says that our parents who grew up in the Depression had no childhood so they wanted to give US the childhood they never had, spoiled us a little bit. Not really spoiled in most cases--not for us older boomers because our parents didn't have enough money to spoil us. Younger boomers were more likely to get spoiled--dad was earning more money by then.

We older boomers were more serious, did not take drugs, worked, while the younger boomers were more like party animals, they did take drugs, broke the rules.

We older boomers grew up in a culture in which we were all supposed to conform and be the same. A lot of us rebelled against the sameness and wanted to express ourselves. We broke a few rules, not many.

Boys were not allowed to have feelings. Girls needed to go to college but yet we could only be teachers, secretaries, nurses, airline stewardesses. We girls didn't have many choices because there was no such thing as feminism yet, not for the older boomers.

And he likes the changes we made, but it's true, things went too far. Education got dumbed down, some classes didn't even give grades, lack of respect for teachers and for anyone, went too far. We older boomers may have started some of that but I remember I was already out in the working world when I started to hear about what was happening with the education system. Every kid was supposed to be a winner. Nope, that does not work! You have to learn to lose and cope with it.

Anyway, I have been saying right along that we older boomers are very much like the millenniels. We care, we want good values, we want human kindness and yes, we want more social programs. We are and were for organic gardening and organic food, the environment, a non violent world, less money and power for the huge corporations. For us older boomers, I want to tell the millenniels to Go For It!

He doesn't say it, but I think the millennials have often been raised in a strange way, coddled and babied instead of being made to face up to reality. I hear of parents still paying for their phone and buying them cars, whereas we did without. Our parents kicked us out at age 18 and we wanted to leave anyway (but that's because we had been raised to conform so we naturally wanted to test the waters and find ourselves.)

Millennials should watch the videos. This guy nails it.
(except that we were brought up with war and fear of war--always being warned that the Russians were going to nuke us and we had to learn to dive under our desks at school if the siren ever went off.) So we were anti war--we'd had enough of that. Millenniels weren't raised to be strong enough to always cope with this crazy world. It's not their fault and it's not our fault that the changes of the '60s went too far and people got really selfish and now a lot of people think it's fun to be mean. When we were their age, people were NICE. People still CARED about people and they cared about the world.

OP, thank you very much for these videos.
No problem.
I think your right that our upbringing was kind of screwed up for how we see the world.

Always saying college is important. Your not gonna get a job unless you have a degree. We followed that idea. 9/11 hits, then the war in Iraq, then the recession.

I remember those 3 events changing the way the world felt. It was like a veil was lifted and we started to see the world for what it was.

I remember having trouble finding a simple retail job. That was a rough point. I had no choice but to depend on family, and I finally got a job, but they only let me work weekends. Eventually I got a job at a hardware store but I could not afford a place. I continued school and did some freelance work. Eventually I landed a job as a 3D animator/programmer thanks to a professor who offered me the position.

It's still tough but I'm in so much of a better place.

Looking back, I think the issue was, our parents saw the system working like clockwork. Because that's how it worked for them. But they don't realize that things changed and we had to throw out the blueprints we were given...

Old 12-30-2019, 09:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No problem.
I think your right that our upbringing was kind of screwed up for how we see the world.

Always saying college is important. Your not gonna get a job unless you have a degree. We followed that idea. 9/11 hits, then the war in Iraq, then the recession.

I remember those 3 events changing the way the world felt. It was like a veil was lifted and we started to see the world for what it was.

I remember having trouble finding a simple retail job. That was a rough point. I had no choice but to depend on family, and I finally got a job, but they only let me work weekends. Eventually I got a job at a hardware store but I could not afford a place. I continued school and did some freelance work. Eventually I landed a job as a 3D animator/programmer thanks to a professor who offered me the position.

Looking back, I think the issue was, our parents saw the system working like clockwork. Because that's how it worked for them. But they don't realize that things changed and we had to throw out the blueprints we were given...

Are your parents Boomers? Did they grow up in the 1960s or 1970s? Do you REALLY think that the "system worked like clockwork" for people coming of age during those turbulent times?

And not only that, those same people were typically still alive AND OFTEN STILL WORKING or trying to save for retirement when the bottom fell out of everything right after 9/11 - and again in 2008 or so. And they had you to look after while all that was going on too.

Talk about having to throw out the blueprints!

Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
I think the problem with millenials, is we have delayed the maturity of 2 generations. Parents let kids live at home, pay their ph bills, car pmts, ins, college, mom's do their laundry, etc. The "children live at home into their 30's. The govt lets them be on their pstents health ins until 26.
I left home at 17, worked 2 jobs, bought myself a 300. Car, had 2 roomates. At one point, lived in my car for a couple of weeks, then rented a room in a house. When i was 18.5 i joined the military. Parents were well off, but didnt provide any financial help, once i left home at 17. Took college classes while in military. After 8 yrs in military, got out and got a job, worked my way up, changed jobs. At one point after military, company i worked for shut down, and 2 weeks before that i got divorced. Lived on raamen, spaghetti, rice. Got another job.
Stayed in same line of work for 11 yrs. Made career change. Been at top of career last 3 yrs. (11 yrs same career).
Having parents provide everything after 18, infantizes the person and delays them developing into a mentally stable adult that can handle stress and failure. Cell phones have made it worse because people no longer know how to interact with people, professionally or socially. And they dont make solid real life connections.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:56 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I’m not a Millennial, but Boomers (aka The Most Selfish Generation) have already sent their message loud and clear to the younger generations: “Pay extra for us, but also we don’t give a crap about you.” Once Millennial voters outweigh Boomer voters at the polls, don’t complain when the former cut off the latter and let nature take its course.
Where are you getting your info from. Many boomers grew up poor yet worked their butts off to provide
a better life for their family. What exactly do you want boomers to do for you?

Old 12-30-2019, 11:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No problem.

The reasons like 9/11, war in iraq, recession are all lies told to the public to keep them quiet. Meanwhile atleast 1 millions Indian people would have got job in the USA throuh green card, citizenship, h1b etc and an equal number ( or more) of them got jobs back in India due to outsourcing. Companies like IBM, Accenture etc recruited 1000's of college graduates every year .

That is one factor that boomers didnt have to face. And it is the one biggest challenge that millenials and future generations have to face. Even though that has helped companies amass records profits like never seen before, its become the way of life now and will be going forward.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:56 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Talk about boomers who have no clue how the Millenial generation has it...

Job Security? Reaganomiced away.
Manufacturing jobs? Reaganomiced away.
Union protection? Reaganomiced away.
Cheap colleges? Reaganomiced away.
Cheap healthcare? Reaganomiced away.

Cutting and cutting and cutting taxes... so nearly every social programs the Boomer Generation thrived under was underfunded and have not given the Millenial generation the same benefits.

The Boomers still vote in people who wants to cut taxes, so most of Government is unfunded. But fail to see they benefited themselves from it.
Just like "Speaker" Ryan who got most of his College education due to government grants... cut it himself for future generations when He got into power.

Boomers have failed its children with a Healthcare system that is TWICE as expensive then any other 1st world nation. While betting subpar results.. #37 or #27 in healthcare outcomes. While 40.000 dies each year and 500.000 Medical bankruptcies each year.

And still they keep voting in politicians that are KNOWN to take Big Insurance, Big Pharma etc money... to keep the For profit model.

Government programs have done ALOT of good for the Boomer generation... but they then turned around and Refused to pay as much taxes as their parents did... and left their children with a HUGE deficit.

If you want to stay a 1st world country.. you need a strong government, funding it with taxes.

Should the US be a rural country with a tiny government and no taxes?
Or a 1st world country, with a healthy government with average OECD taxes?

Boomers have chosen the first one... when they won't actually fund what it costs to be a 1st world country.
Because they wanted more money, so they could buy more stuff for themselves....

Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I think a lot of people are confusing "Boomers" with maybe the Silent Generation or something.

My husband and I are both "Boomers." WE AREN'T RETIRED and when we DO retire, we don't have any sort of pension - because we've been working for companies that don't offer any sort of pension for decades. You know - the same companies that GenXers and Millennials have been working for. So that whole idea of being able to retire with a pension - that hasn't applied to most Boomers.

When we bought our first house, the interest rates were usually above 14%. Not 4 percent. 14 percent. Try to wrap one's head around that. And the median house size was 1000 square feet smaller than now. I had four kids. The first house I bought, and moved those four kids into, was 1300 square feet. I was in my mid 30s.

We had recessions. Bad ones. Long lines to get gas. The Vietnam war. Political crises, division and unrest. Rioting in the streets. Significantly higher crime rates. Ghettos. Illegal drugs and people overdosing. Oh wait - we STILL have most of that and you know why? Because we're living in the same world that Millennials live in.

Things like health care, Reaganomics, etc - I can only speak for myself, but hey, Reagan became President the year after I graduated from high school. He wasn't a young man then. He wasn't a Boomer. Neither was the first Bush. Bill Clinton was - barely. Same with Bush 2. Same with Trump All were born in 1946. For the record, that's 16 years before I was born. The only President I've ever experienced as a contemporary was Obama - who is a Boomer, born in 1961. And I hate to admit it, but I didn't start voting till I was probably 35 so no.

Like most people I knew, I worked my way through college. By that I mean, I worked at least 30 hours a week while going to college full time and sharing a crappy apartment with two other young women. I did that because my parents expected me to pay for half my college expenses and all my living expenses. And they weren't poor - they were solidly middle class and had no health issues, and I was the oldest child so they also had no one else's college expenses to worry about. (My younger brothers were both attending public schools and riding the school bus to those schools every day.) Before I graduated, my mom and I shared a car - which had 430,000 miles on it (literally) by the time she and I began sharing it. I didn't drive it to school - I rode the school bus to school like most people I knew did.

I moved out of my parents' house, never to move back in, at age 19 - not because of animosity with them, but because that's what most people just did. Oh my gosh, I was so poor - but so was everyone else I knew. That year, I was paying the equivalent of $3.82 a gallon for gas. Rent was the equivalent of $1300 a month. College tuition (at the local community college) was the equivalent of about $30,000 a year. Median home prices averaged the equivalent of $140 a square foot. (For some comparison, I just bought a beautiful, spacious home for about the same amount per square foot.) Here - use this if you want to find out what things REALLY cost - and this isn't factoring in the insane interest rates on debt - at least now I'm paying 3 percent interest on a mortgage, not 14 percent.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

I'm not complaining at all - just putting some perspective on things.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:09 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are your parents Boomers? Did they grow up in the 1960s or 1970s? Do you REALLY think that the "system worked like clockwork" for people coming of age during those turbulent times?

And not only that, those same people were typically still alive AND OFTEN STILL WORKING or trying to save for retirement when the bottom fell out of everything right after 9/11 - and again in 2008 or so. And they had you to look after while all that was going on too.

Talk about having to throw out the blueprints!
Boomer here. NO COLLEGE DEGREE. Neither I nor my parents could afford it.

Worked forever in public service jobs. JUST retired.

If I had to do it all again? Yes, it would have been nice to have a degree - a professional degree with a job after graduation - but that was not my path.

Not all of us had life handed to us on a platter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies