Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:03 PM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
And after raising the minimum wage in Seattle, has the number of homeless decreased?
According to the city government at least, the situation is improving. But that's likely due to a combination of factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Were I in the position of having employees, you can damn well know if I had increased cost for labor, my prices for my goods and services would rise to compensate my business for the added expense.
Any business I would own, would not be a charitable business, and most sensible business owners would take the same position as me, or they would be soon out of business.

Bob.
Exactly.

I have employees. Every forced dollar an hour increase in min. wage costs the employer/business that dollar (or dollarS) per hour and then some: because employers also have to increase their portion of what they pay per employee when it comes to "paycheck taxes". Both federal and state.

So yes. I raise prices to offset any forced increase in minimum wage. When my clientele notice and complain I ask them if they voted for the gov in office (I already know the answer, those who didn't vote for him are more than AWARE that prices are going to increase and don't say much other than that the gov's an idiot and so is anyone who voted for him). The answer is always "yes". Then blame yourself - he ran on this platform and who exactly did you think was going to "pay" for it? Hard to believe how DUMB some people are.

Sales tax goes up?

I raise prices.

I also don't think many understand that running a cash register, stocking shelves, asking if you'd like paper or plastic, etc. isn't exactly a job where one brings REVENUE to a small business. Static jobs. That a 16 year old could do. To make some extra cash to pay for college text books, gas or beer money, not support a family. Not a "living wage".

Old 12-30-2019, 10:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Except this doesn't happen. The shifts need to be covered regardless of how much the employee is being paid. So they might reduce the store hours, or close shop completely. But they can't make the cashier sweep the floor while he's making the burgers and change at the same time. The boss still needs people to perform these tasks, and he's still required to pay them.
It's called multi-tasking. When the cashier is not waiting on a customer, that cashier will be mopping the floor. My local McDonalds only has 1 cashier station now. The self-serve kiosks handle most orders now.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Maybe we should study what happened the other 25 times they raised the minimum wage since it was implemented in 1938?

Or maybe it should have just stayed at a quarter all these years.

Why not then have a minimum salary for all types of work? That would eliminate poverty.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I said nothing about cutting wages.
My point is, when wages increase, so does the cost of living, to make up for what business must pay in increased wages.
A simple example would be:
You want to purchase a new tv, let's say from Best Buy.
The price is $ 649.99.
You plunk down you bucks, and buy it.

Three months later Best Buy , because of a state mandated minimum wage, now has to raise the price of that tv to $9 69.00 to cover what the increase in wages cost them.
The people that now got the raise, will have to shell out nearly one thousand dollars for the same tv that before the raise, was only $649.00.
Sure, they have more money to spend, but the prices are higher, so what have they gained?

Now, show me how raising the minimum wage benefits anyone.

Bob.
No, it's not always going to end up that way. For proof of want I mean look at Lamar, CO. The minimum wage there is $11.10. Yet, the cost of living index is only 76.6 and unemployment rate is 3.2%.

The situation has far more to do with how desirable a city is to move to. Lamar isn't desirable.

I wouldn't be surprised if a $649.99 TV at Wal-Mart in Lamar is little different in price than the same one at the Wal-Mart in fairly nearby Guymon, OK where the minimum wage is only $7.25. Interestingly enough, the cost of living in Guymon is somewhat higher at 79.6.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

In states where the minimum wage is higher than the Federal minimum wage the unemployment rate will be lower when the minimum wage is lowered. That's basic economics and common sense.
I've never heard of such a thing happening so there is nothing to base your point on. I can't imagine people in a state wanting to vote to lower the state minimum wage to test your theory out.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
The real honest look at the push for increases to the minimum wage:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi...-fight-for-15/

Quote:
Traditionally, unions have supported minimum wage initiatives because their contracts have been directly or indirectly tied to the minimum wage. For instance, UNITE contract that covered workers in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and South Jersey said the following: “Whenever the federal legal minimum wage is increased, minimum wage [in the agreement] shall be increased so that each will be at least fifteen (15%) percent higher than such legal minimum wage.”

Contracts for Cal Fire Local 2881, which represents 6,000 California firefighters, and UFCW Local 1099’s agreement with CVS have had similar stipulations. Other contracts, such as those signed by Retail, Wholesale, & Chain Store Food Employees Union Local 338 and UFCW 1262, also stipulated that minimum wage increases trigger an automatic return to the bargaining table, where new — usually higher — compensation is negotiated.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The real honest look at the push for increases to the minimum wage:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi...-fight-for-15/
It would be interesting to see where the money came from to sponsor two past petitions that led to raising the minimum wage in Arkansas twice. It's goes up to $10 Jan. 1.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've never heard of such a thing happening so there is nothing to base your point on.
You don't understand basic economics yet you comment? lol Why are you involved in this thread?
You don't understand the concept that someone wont hire a person for $8 an hour and will do the job themselves but will hire someone if the pay rate is $6 an hour? You can't wrap your head around that? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I can't imagine people in a state wanting to vote to lower the state minimum wage to test your theory out.
Because they, like you, have little understanding on basic economics and business and property rights.
Why don't you explain why uninvolved people should have any say so on what 2 other people want to agree on with a private contract when no ones rights have been violated?

Afte that why don't you tell everyone here how many people are on minimum wage. Go ahead tell us the percentage of people who are on minimum wage which as anyone who has even the slightest bit of knowledge fully understands that minimum wage was never, ever meant to be a living wage.

I'll save you some time, just over 1% of workers make minimum wage or less and many are teenagers. Minimum wage is nothing more than feel good legislation from government.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:28 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
I always get a kick out of rich guys telling poor minimum wage guys that minimum wage hikes are bad for them.

Moderate increases in the minimum wage have had small effects since forever.

Note I said moderate increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies