Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:11 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“As a young teenager in proudly peaceable Canada during the romantic 1960s, I was a true believer in Bakunin’s anarchism. I laughed off my parents’ argument that if the government ever laid down its arms all hell would break loose.

“Our competing predictions were put to the test at 8:00 A.M. on October 17, 1969, when the Montreal police went on strike. By 11:20 A.M. the first bank was robbed. By noon most downtown stores had closed because of looting.

Within a few more hours, taxi drivers burned down the garage of a limousine service that competed with them for airport customers, a rooftop sniper killed a provincial police officer, rioters broke into several hotels and restaurants, and a doctor slew a burglar in his suburban home.

“By the end of the day, six banks had been robbed, a hundred shops had been looted, twelve fires had been set, forty carloads of storefront glass had been broken, and three million dollars in property damage had been inflicted, before city authorities had to call in the army and, of course, the Mounties to restore order.”
-Steven Pinker, The Blank Slate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The alternative is survival of the fittest, and US cities will descend in to something akin to the Hunger Games.

The wealthy would simply employ private personal protection and armed security, the rest of society including the elderly and vulnerable would be at the mercy of criminals and organised crime.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Quote:
“As a young teenager in proudly peaceable Canada during the romantic 1960s, I was a true believer in Bakunin’s anarchism. I laughed off my parents’ argument that if the government ever laid down its arms all hell would break loose.

“Our competing predictions were put to the test at 8:00 A.M. on October 17, 1969, when the Montreal police went on strike. By 11:20 A.M. the first bank was robbed. By noon most downtown stores had closed because of looting.

Within a few more hours, taxi drivers burned down the garage of a limousine service that competed with them for airport customers, a rooftop sniper killed a provincial police officer, rioters broke into several hotels and restaurants, and a doctor slew a burglar in his suburban home.

“By the end of the day, six banks had been robbed, a hundred shops had been looted, twelve fires had been set, forty carloads of storefront glass had been broken, and three million dollars in property damage had been inflicted, before city authorities had to call in the army and, of course, the Mounties to restore order.”
-Steven Pinker, The Blank Slate
I see these "arguments" against anarchism all the time, but they always leave out a fundamental detail - the NonAggression Principle is not in effect because the state machinery is still in place that prevents the victim of an initiation of force from responding properly. Under the NAP, when you initiate force, you voluntarily surrender any and all of your natural rights, up to and including your right to life. The NAP doesn't place any limit whatsoever on how a victim of an initiation of force is allowed to respond to their assailant.

In the case of the 1969 Montreal police strike, had the NAP gone into effect, then that first bank robbery could/should have resulted in any one of the bank personnel who had force initiated against them responding properly to their assailant. Bank robber killed on the spot, bank robbery foiled. Had all those store owners been allowed to exercise their individual right of self-defense of life, liberty and property, instead of being conditioned to wait for appointed agents of tyranny to rescue them, same thing. Couple stores have attempted looting, and a few looters are either dead or severely wounded for their efforts, and order would naturally restore itself in short order.

They always leave that part out of these "see what happens when we try anarchy" stories. It isn't anarchy. It's the same restrictions and penalties for the already law abiding, and more freedom for the lawless. That's not anarchy, it's government engineered and sanctioned barbarism.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I see these "arguments" against anarchism all the time, but they always leave out a fundamental detail - the NonAggression Principle is not in effect because the state machinery is still in place that prevents the victim of an initiation of force from responding properly. Under the NAP, when you initiate force, you voluntarily surrender any and all of your natural rights, up to and including your right to life. The NAP doesn't place any limit whatsoever on how a victim of an initiation of force is allowed to respond to their assailant.

In the case of the 1969 Montreal police strike, had the NAP gone into effect, then that first bank robbery could/should have resulted in any one of the bank personnel who had force initiated against them responding properly to their assailant. Bank robber killed on the spot, bank robbery foiled. Had all those store owners been allowed to exercise their individual right of self-defense of life, liberty and property, instead of being conditioned to wait for appointed agents of tyranny to rescue them, same thing. Couple stores have attempted looting, and a few looters are either dead or severely wounded for their efforts, and order would naturally restore itself in short order.

They always leave that part out of these "see what happens when we try anarchy" stories. It isn't anarchy. It's the same restrictions and penalties for the already law abiding, and more freedom for the lawless. That's not anarchy, it's government engineered and sanctioned barbarism.
Edit: I was going to try to add on here but it's not worth it.

Last edited by No_Recess; 01-02-2020 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: I forgot where I was.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:20 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Koreatown 1992.

L.A. burned but not this section.

Wonder why?

Plenty of Koreatown burned, just not the specific stores where the Korean owners were actively shooting back.

Criminals and rioters in America know that their victims are made perfectly helpless by the State.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Plenty of Koreatown burned, just not the specific stores where the Korean owners were actively shooting back.

Criminals and rioters in America know that their victims are made perfectly helpless by the State.
Correct.

I was going to lay a trap for the other posters but decided not to.

That's why I went back and edited my post.

Not worth the effort.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:

The bank more likely would have their own hired police, as would other businesses. Instead of one police force for the city you would have multiple, probably some turf wars. Anarchy indeed.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I don't get how some people's minds work. Crime has been around for ever since man. There have always been some sort of law enforcement is some form or other.

We will always need police protection because there will always been people who commit crimes.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:05 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
This would be a first step into complete chaos, increase in crime and disruption of the safe norm.

How can proponents of this idea reasonably and logically push for this--makes no sense for an organized society to function.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Lack of a police force means a good case for vigilantism .Without a police force who will protect the outlaw ? 1860s state of Missouri had plenty of hangings .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies