Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:01 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times

Advertisements

Trump is the Chief Executive. He can withhold aid if he wishes.

The Democrats think they won the election and can dictate both strategy and policy from the media room, counter to the President. When they are elected again, they'll support strategy and policy from the media room. All of that implies a primary propaganda function of the mainstream US media.

This is a turning point but not in the way Democrats think. Extraordinary measures are always an indicator of desperation and therefore both generally a an indicator and stimulant of decline. Similar to how McCarthy was a prelude to the 1960s counter-culture and decline of the social Right.

The people who are a part of this impeachment process are a laughing stock. The only people paying attention are those with severe TDS. No one else is taking it seriously. They're watching, bemused and embarrassed for this nation's government and its lost media. I doubt that the politicians caught on its stage are even emotionally invested. They are like indentured servants to the Leftist twitter class and Far Left media at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:20 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say he does. When the population believes that he is a divinely appointed king and the ruling political party agrees, there's no more checks and balances. Trump is absolute dictator in America.
It's problematic.

Particularly when his lawyers are using this as a (their only) legal defense. Here's an example:

Quote:
Trump is fighting the subpoena on the grounds that as president, he has absolute immunity from criminal indictment or investigation. His attorney said that would block Trump from being arrested and charged even if he followed through on his campaign trail claim: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?”
Trump lawyer: Trump can’t be prosecuted for shooting someone

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...someone-055648

They've extended this "defense" to his impeachment. Apparently his absolute immunity from criminal indictment or investigation extends to absolute immunity from impeachment.

There are already 3 cases before the SCOTUS, & the 2 cases previously mentioned in this thread before the D.C. Court of Appeals (which may be headed to the SCOTUS after decisions are rendered).

Old 01-05-2020, 02:48 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And Moscow Mitch saying he will work with the President in the impeachment proceedings even before the Senate gets the articles of impeachment is any less screwy? Your reply is full of gibberish. You neglected to defend McConnell's stance nor say what I am wrong on.
less screwy? nothing screwy about anything. This is a political exercise, so many of you have been told that, yet to fail to accept it. The Houf5se had it's turn, now it's the Senate's turn. Pelosi knew this all along. The House is done, they voted on 2 Articles of Impeachment. Those will be what McConnell will make rules for. Want more? Start some new investigations, start the whole process over again. lol

Old 01-05-2020, 03:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold, the only thing worth responding to in your useless drivel...

I had nothing to do with that....I don't give a damn what anyone says to me and I damn sure won't report anyone...same as I don't put anyone on "ignore" either....
Did I even say you did report it or anyone else reported it, no. I actually thought better of it AFTER the fact. But by the time I deleted it, you had already replied to it with a share of ad hom attacks, so it is still shown in your reply.

FYI, I'm putting you on ignore because you can't help but use ad hom attacks like calling people grubbers with no proof to back it up in the posts. At least when I call people a hypocrite, I've shown it by posting the exact views that do not align with each other.

The fact that the bold was the only thing you cared to respond shows me that you do not wish to look at reality and possibly have a substantive discussion. You dismissed my points which are backed up as drivel.

Quote:
Yet the vote has been made...can you add to something that has already been voted on?
No I am suggesting he is voted out this year. I wasn't talking about past years, I was talking this year. He is in Class B after all.

Quote:
He is not going party over country, he is going to use what the house sent him, you know those pesky articles of impeachment....that was supposed to be enough to convict trump.....if so, why the need for more evidence..so yea...the left, you and your ilk have put party over country for 3 years now....
Then why is he saying that he will be working WITH the president on the impeachment proceedings (once the articles are handed over)? How the hell is that not choosing party over country? https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mcco...ry?id=67707430

It is rather clear as day for those of us who are not Trump supporters, we can see the forest from the trees. Even Republicans are starting to question this...
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/26/79143...on-impeachment

Quote:
Like I said earlier, trump will be there, and now almost a guarantee with this stuff you and your ilk tried for over 3 years....
I'm just saying my opinion. Trump is on statins which means a heart attack is possible. He is in his 70's which heart attacks are common. His weight is a problem (it is admittedly for me too and I haven't called him fat, just knocked the fast food catering he had for student athletes.) Then you have the stress and anything is possible. Who also knows what will come out about Ukraine or perhaps his taxes

Quote:
Call it what you want....you disagree with it, therefore it's wrong....you leftist of you...

So, how was he wrong?
No I am saying what I think. And he was wrong. He painted Mexicans coming across our border as criminals. Mind you, it was not just Mexicans coming into America. Why would Mexico send us their criminals and also Hondreans, Costa Ricans, Salvadorians, Nicaraguans, Guatemalans, etc.? It is called being objective. You seem to do it with anything against Trump, why not try it with thing Trump has said?

Quote:
Yet, its you and your ilk that don't want to build the wall....yea, a repub congress all because of mccain who also hated trump, or maybe you forgot that....
My memory is a little sketchy but didn't McCain say "Build a dang fence"? He only hated Trump because Trump said people who are captured aren't heroes and bought the same lies conservatives did about McCain with the conspiracy theory that he gave up American secrets to the Viet Kong. This theory was NEVER PROVEN. Also says a lot for someone to say a POW-MIA member to be mocked by someone who had bone spurs to get out of service in Vietnam. If someone made a comment like that to you, I doubt you'd want to work with him...

As for the wall, McCain was NOT the problem. It didn't even go to a floor vote until December 2018, AFTER Kirsten Sinema won the Flake seat and McSally was named to McCain's seat (after Kyl accepted it as a placeholder.) So tell me again how McCain sunk the wall. ObamaCare repeal, I can buy. The wall, I cannot.

Quote:
There were 17 MISTAKES in all those warrants combined....that's why...
Why don't you name them then? It is easy to say "it's wrong" but without proof it's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Get off the "fixxer" rant....another useless drivel leftist meme...

If Barr didn't act like it time and time again, I would not be calling him a fixxer now would I? The fact is he is covering up for Trump and massaging out the message like a fixxer does for celebrities. Trump has used this in his past a socialite killing stories on Daily News' Page 6 regardless of how qualified they were (like him cheating on Ivana with Marla Maples.)

Quote:
What about those that did testify? Maybe you already forgot about those that trump ALSO told not to testify? What did they bring to the table...ZERO...nothing...nota...
Um Sondland? I find it funny how Trump supporters just say "It was nothing."

Quote:
Mitch can do what ever he wants, just as your boy "pencil neck" did in the house.....
Who the Hell is "pencil neck"? Stop speaking in code.

Quote:
If the house had done it's job, the senate would not have to finish, which they have no need to finish just do nancy not doing her job and rushing the vote...oh well, suck it up...
If you mean the House does nothing for "its job" then yes the Senate wouldn't have to finish nothing. The problem is Trump objected and used executive privilege to try and subvert the investigation into him. It is a trend with him.

Quote:
As I said before, the senate leader should always side with the president (notice how I did not say R or D).
Tell that to Trent Lott with Clinton...

Quote:
It's been a sham trial since day one.....even nancy said it had to be non-partisan....no need to bring up the 2 votes that nancy said they did not have to vote for impeachment.
It would be non-partisan if the Republicans didn't act Party over Country.

Quote:
What has trump been busted over?
Um, Ukraine?

Quote:
And at least you admit that obama was investigated for weaponizing the IRS....there maybe hope for you yet....

The IRS said they were sorry....can you understand that?
And they still targeted both liberal and conservative 501(C)s which became a huge problem in 2012. The liberal groups targeted were "progressive" and "occupy" groups. Just shows Obama was yet another corporatist.

Quote:
Because under this clause you have to be given something...as in a gift, not that you own a hotel and someone from another country stays there.....
OK fair point. I wish this would have been clearly stated when the first time this came up three years ago...

Quote:
LOL, is that why long before she said Impeach the MF? Now you are just digging....period....
And you're now putting words in my mouth. I was talking Pelosi, not Talib. Get your people straight...

Quote:
Im paying attention, that's why I'm calling you out on "go team blue"....try to stay up...
And your post is nothing but "Go Team Red" drivel. Why don't you try and stay up will ya? The only one you threw under the bus was McCain who was always a target within Team Red of being a RINO. The Republicans of today have driven me away and trust me, 2011, 12, 13, I was leaning being Republican if not conservative. Even 2014-5 I leaned it but then they couldn't help but push abortion bans. Even palitable ones to me like Kaisch and JEB.

Quote:
There were a few things I agreed with about obama...."poof" their went you head....becasue I stand up for the person who was put in charge, and doing what they were put in charge for...does not make them wrong...
I agreed with Obama on ObamaCare but largely economically in 2012, I couldn't vote for him and like Trump, he flip flopped.

Quote:
Do I agree with trump on everything....nope...POOF again....
So you are a flip-flopper too. Good to know. I think I only agreed with Trump on opioids during his 2018 speech and even still I said he didn't do enough because the problem is the drug companies and the mark doctors getting people hooked on the opioids in the first place that end up using street drugs when they cannot get the scripts anymore. Trump is such a corporatist, he couldn't do that.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Does the President have absolute immunity?

Do all White House officials have absolute immunity from “being compelled to testify before Congress if the President orders them not to do so"?

This is not just Donald Trump & his current staff members, this is for them, & for going forward.
U.S. V Nixon shows he shouldn't use executive privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say he does. When the population believes that he is a divinely appointed king and the ruling political party agrees, there's no more checks and balances. Trump is absolute dictator in America.
Exactly. We are no better than Iraq or North Korea in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Trump is the Chief Executive. He can withhold aid if he wishes.

The Democrats think they won the election and can dictate both strategy and policy from the media room, counter to the President. When they are elected again, they'll support strategy and policy from the media room. All of that implies a primary propaganda function of the mainstream US media.

This is a turning point but not in the way Democrats think. Extraordinary measures are always an indicator of desperation and therefore both generally a an indicator and stimulant of decline. Similar to how McCarthy was a prelude to the 1960s counter-culture and decline of the social Right.

The people who are a part of this impeachment process are a laughing stock. The only people paying attention are those with severe TDS. No one else is taking it seriously. They're watching, bemused and embarrassed for this nation's government and its lost media. I doubt that the politicians caught on its stage are even emotionally invested. They are like indentured servants to the Leftist twitter class and Far Left media at this point.
Who watches the watchman? It is easy to say it is TDS but this is a consitutional crisis, PERIOD. Republicans are using every excuse and wiggle-room in the book to get Trump off.

Quote:
It's problematic.

Particularly when his lawyers are using this as a (their only) legal defense. Here's an example:

Trump lawyer: Trump can’t be prosecuted for shooting someone

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...someone-055648

They've extended this "defense" to his impeachment. Apparently his absolute immunity from criminal indictment or investigation extends to absolute immunity from impeachment.

There are already 3 cases before the SCOTUS, & the 2 cases previously mentioned in this thread before the D.C. Court of Appeals (which may be headed to the SCOTUS after decisions are rendered).
Yeah this is troubling. And forget it if Obama used this... I think many would be saying it is a constitutional crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
less screwy? nothing screwy about anything. This is a political exercise, so many of you have been told that, yet to fail to accept it. The Houf5se had it's turn, now it's the Senate's turn. Pelosi knew this all along. The House is done, they voted on 2 Articles of Impeachment. Those will be what McConnell will make rules for. Want more? Start some new investigations, start the whole process over again. lol
I'm sure Trump will do more stupid stuff to get impeached yet again. He is a crook and never was held accountable for it. Father Trump spared the rod and spoiled little Donny alright. Time for him to get the beating he should have gotten 65 years ago.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
U.S. V Nixon shows he shouldn't use executive privilege.
He hasn't even used executive privilege. If he had, Don McGahn would have appeared & would have used executive privilege to justify not answering particular questions. The IM-POTUS claims he & his aides & their records are immune from subpoena.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You have to figure Trump's actions in the ME are going to distract.

The world around Trump is caving in, courts are now saying he and staff need to comply.

This is very important as Trump the criminal needs to be removed.
We can only hope but I have a feeling this will kill the Republican Party the longer they latch to Trump and the longer Trump is in power...

Quote:
He hasn't even used executive privilege. If he had, Don McGahn would have appeared & would have used executive privilege to justify not answering particular questions. The IM-POTUS claims he & his aides & their records are immune from subpoena.
You have to understand the confusion, Trump supporters are claiming that, not Trump himself. He seemingly thinks he is above the law. See my previous comments about Trump being spoiled by his father Fred. I hope someone gives him the whipping that Fred was too scared to give him himself.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Bad news in 2020 for dems no candidate no platform just lots of hate
It’s not about trump finding out it’s about Biden’s bady

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-05-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
We can only hope but I have a feeling this will kill the Republican Party the longer they latch to Trump and the longer Trump is in power...

You have to understand the confusion, Trump supporters are claiming that, not Trump himself. He seemingly thinks he is above the law. See my previous comments about Trump being spoiled by his father Fred. I hope someone gives him the whipping that Fred was too scared to give him himself.
The Courts keep ruling this IM-POTUS is not a king, he & his subjects keep on insisting he is. As an American, I find it disgusting.

Quote:
A federal judge ruled Monday afternoon that Don McGahn, former White House Counsel for President Donald Trump, must submit to a congressional subpoena and testify before members of the U.S. House of Representatives—a legal defeat for Trump who has tried to prevent the testimony.

In the ruling (pdf), U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, said "the primary takeaway from the past 250 years of recorded American history is that Presidents are not kings."

As such, Jackson continued, "This means that they do not have subjects, bound by loyalty or blood, whose destiny they are entitled to control. Rather, in this land of liberty, it is indisputable that current and former employees of the White House work for the People of the United States, and that they take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. Moreover, as citizens of the United States, current and former senior-level presidential aides have constitutional rights, including the right to free speech, and they retain these rights even after they have transitioned back into private life."
Noting That 'Presidents Are Not Kings,' Federal Judge Rules Don McGahn Must Submit to Congressional Subpoena

"This ruling means not only that McGahn must provide testimony, but so must a raft of administration officials who have been stonewalling Congress in attempts to protect this president."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...hn-must-submit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies