Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 05:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don’t have to dictate. All living things know what they need.
All of us must think like you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 05:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,108,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
All of us must think like you?
Do you not eat food or drink water? Or require shelter?

Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,207,418 times
Quote:
I pay for my stuff.

Are you insinuating that I need to pay for your stuff?

Old 01-02-2020, 05:59 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,245 times
Quote:
Exactly! Kerosene at the time was used as lighting oil. It was the big cash cow for Standard Oil. So the monopoly didn’t work.

Thanks for supporting my point.
No....Kerosene is derived from petroleum and Standard Oil had a monopoly of petroleum. After the kerosene market fell, Standard Oil still had a monopoly of petroleum. It would take another 40 years and a government intervention to finally break Standard Oil's monopoly.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I pay for my food and water. If I pay for them, it’s none of your business whether I eat one chicken or all the chickens in the store.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:04 PM

4,021 posts, read 2,709,273 times
Quote:
Being payed well in an obscene amount while their workers struggle to stay afloat? Like does the CEO really need 2 mansions and 3 Ferraris?

Im not saying he can’t... But what’s wrong with a CEO that cares about those that helped him get to that position? He’s not gonna go into poverty...
I'm pretty much in line with this. If the Jeff Bezoses of the world can afford 5 mansions, good on them, but if the people working for them can't afford to pay rent on the salaries *they* get paid, not so good on the Jeff Bezoses of the world.

Make sure your employees are getting paid enough to survive without having to work a second job/apply for food stamps/play the constant 'what bill gets paid this month' game/whatever. If you got that going on, then hey, collect your millions. Enjoy.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
No....Kerosene is derived from petroleum and Standard Oil had a monopoly of petroleum. After the kerosene market fell, Standard Oil still had a monopoly of petroleum. It would take another 40 years and a government intervention to finally break Standard Oil's monopoly.
If Standard Oil has monopoly on lighting oil, how come it was competed out of that business????

Old 01-02-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'm pretty much in line with this. If the Jeff Bezoses of the world can afford 5 mansions, good on them, but if the people working for them can't afford to pay rent on the salaries *they* get paid, not so good on the Jeff Bezoses of the world.

Make sure your employees are getting paid enough to survive without having to work a second job/apply for food stamps/play the constant 'what bill gets paid this month' game/whatever. If you got that going on, then hey, collect your millions. Enjoy.
In the somewhat free world of America, if you don’t like the pay, don’t work for them.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,245 times
Quote:

So you want put a gun on people’s head and force them to allow non-owners to dictate how the owners spend their money?
Yes.

We would still have a manufacturing sector if we did. Germany has those laws and they still manufacture goods in Germany. America allowed majority shareholders to ship an entire sector of our economy to other countries.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
CEO's are paid huge amounts because they are expected to do what is in the best interests of the majority shareholders. Which can often be no more then just one person. Instead of CEO's acting in the best interest of the company and its employees they instead act as lackeys for majority shareholders looking to make big, fast and easy money. The big bonuses are like bribes to ensure that CEO's continually do their bidding. This practice would disappear if laws mandated that workers were given half the seats at the board of directors. Which is what they do in most of Western Europe.
If you hire me to remodel your house, I would be able to decide how you spend your money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies