Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Iran has been a bad dude for over thirty years and it makes me wonder why nobody has wanted to go to war with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 10:46 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm sorry. I should have clarified. He deserved to die. He was evil for sure. I think Trump made a misguided calculation though, and who the hell knows how it will affect us?
Misguided calculation based on what?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
According to the Pentagon, Soleimani was planning a major, imminent attack on American targets at the time of his demise.
According to some reports he was on his way to the airport to leave the country, but maybe he was going to plan an IED. Who knows with any information being censored by the WH.

Quote:
Misguided calculation based on what?
Based on history. Assassinations of heads of state and/or their staff have back-fired.

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
This guy had a bad reputation throughout the Middle East.

Because of TDS - he will probably be a martyr over here.

Soleimani Schemed Against America As His World Crumbled

According to the Pentagon, Soleimani was planning a major, imminent attack on American targets at the time of his demise.

President Trump demonstrated Friday that America possesses superior intelligence. The attack could only disabuse Tehran of the illusion that Mr. Trump is a paper tiger. Yet, it was Soleimani’s life project to build Iran’s strength by mobilizing regional proxies, rather than Iran’s own army, to strike when he so commanded.

Yet his go-to terror proxy, Hezbollah, is now widely despised in Lebanon. Blood-soaked Syrians are similarly appalled by Soleimani’s foreign militias that kept their butcher in chief, Bashar Assad, in power. Yemenis similarly suffer, and even in Gaza, where Soleimani recently made some inroads, many secretly rue his tactic of propping up militias while bonding them in blind loyalty to Tehran.

Hundreds of thousands were killed in these countries in recent years as a direct result of Soleimani’s activity. He was responsible for the death of hundreds of Yanks as well. Yet things started deteriorating even in neighboring Iraq. In November 2018 Shiite civilians burned pictures of Basra’s Soleimani-installed governor, Asaad al-Eidani. A year later protest spread from the oil-rich but water-parched south to the rest of the country.
It sounds a lot like the fake Khorasan Group NYC terror attack scheme in 2014 that Obama used to launch airstrikes in Syria. It turned out there was no such group and no such plot.

He was a wanted target by the US, Saudi Arabia, and Israel because he helped plan the defeat of Israel in its 2006 invasion of Lebanon, the support of the Shia uprising during the US occupation, and the defeat of Islamic State Syria by convincing Russia to provide air support in exchange for Iran and Hezbollah's ground forces.

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Do you have any posts here where you state this about the Obama/Biden's 3 wars of choice and the Afghanistan Surge?

i.e. Talk is cheap.
I never supported any of the wars...or any of the war policies of OBama/Biden.

If you can find where I supported their war policies you can tell me talk is cheap.

I also have been very clear that I understand the fine line of protecting American interests and getting involved in miliitry conflict.

My concern has nothing to do with red vs. blue. ...more to do with the USA's sacrifice throughout the world over the years for misguided military efforts.

Oh no -- you can't fault me for taking a political stance on military policy......you just can't. I'm an equal opportunity critic of the USA's inclination for war.

As for you -- clearly if Trump decided to go to war with anybody you would spin it as necessary.

So please don't tell me about cheap talk.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
The nonsense at the embassy required a response, and if the news is true, it's a solid response.

good job Trump.

Not surprised liberals are trying to spin this as bad news for Trump.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Curious this just happened as House and Senate are wrangling about impeachment rules. You can hear it now from Republicans. How dare you confront the Commander in Chief. Meanwhile from his command post in Mar A Lago the Fearless Leader direct his troops between rounds of golf.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to some reports he was on his way to the airport to leave the country, but maybe he was going to plan an IED. Who knows with any information being censored by the WH.
Trump Admin acted on their intelligence. You don't trust them and give them no latitude and have no patience to wait and see what surfaces.

You trust the Iranians before Trump?

Feel free to post your link on your reports. I usually do...

Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
We have no clue if Trump will ill advised or if he made a wrong decision. There is concern but it is way too early to jump to that conclusion.

I'm just hoping that those in charge considered all outcomes and have strategies in place to protect all Americans -- home and overseas.

I'm hoping they weighed the costs and this was the only strategy.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You could argue lot of people 'deserve' to be killed, but assassinations are not the solution to get rid of heads of states or their generals. If we were at war with a nation, then generals would be free game, but we are not at war.

That's why a proxy war is so much more dangerous than a real war. It allows leaders to operate with personal impunity and it becomes a game of attrition. The US is at an extreme disadvantage in a proxy war and should never allow a war against us to be a proxy war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies