Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 03:13 PM

319 posts, read 145,598 times

Advertisements

How many times can GM use 'dog whistle' in one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 03:18 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
How many times can GM use 'dog whistle' in one day?

Time to block the monotony.
I'll use the term "dog whistle" all I please. Come up with a counter-argument. You are the one who accused me of making excuses for the shooter. I can refute you. I wasn't making any excuses. That shooting took place because the idiot involved was likely a drug dealer. Said thug had connections in Huntington. That hookah bar was a place where drugs were being dealt. The shooting was most likely drug related and not a hate crime. That shooting is the tip of the iceberg. Huntington has been dealing with alot of opioid addiction.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Marshall University. I have a friend who went there. University towns attract people from all over the world. And I would say that is one of the best things about Huntington. Huntington has alot of problems. However, having Marshall University is a good thing. For all the bad that happens, alot of people don't know that it's a university town.

Randomly pulling people over based on what state their license plate says is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Unreasonable search and seizure. Being from a different state is not probable cause. Speeding is probable cause to pull someone over, because a law has been broken. Broken tail lights would be a good reason to pull someone over. A license plate from a different state? Not probable cause. That is just a violation of the 4th Amendment. Of course, this is my theory behind wanting to violate that Amendment. It isn't only about what state is from. It's about race.

Huntington has alot of things to criticize. On the flip side, there is something else to mention. Huntington, as I mentioned before, is a university town. Alot of students. It is not uncommon for people not from West Virginia to be there. I have a sneaking suspicion that said person also doesn't like college towns.

Considering that heroin was involved, calling this a hate crime is beyond a stretch. But then again, I think about some of the places said person touts as vanguards of conservatism. Mississippi is a Republican conservative state. So is North Dakota. So is Nebraska. Alabama too. I notice North Dakota and Nebraska are mentioned, but never Mississippi and Alabama. This is my theory as to why. Mississippi is 37% Black while Nebraska is 4% Black and North Dakota is maybe 1% Black. Calling this a hate crime wasn't done because this was actually a hate crime.

I suspect the "pull everyone with Michigan plates over" is dog whistle speak for "Black people have no business going to West Virginia". I also think this is the same reason said person called this shooting a "hate crime". A Black man from another state committing a violent crime in one of the whitest, most Republican states in the USA. You can't blame Democrats or Republicans for this. This highlights the drug problems in places like the small towns in Ohio and West Virginia.
Our O.P is borderline advocating for what used to be called "Sunshine Laws" as in "don't let the sun set on your head ******." Because there's no one from Detroit, Michigan who has any legitimate business being in West Virginia, eh? Huntington isn't exactly a "holler" and out-of-towners aren't overly unusual sights to see.

I can guarantee that he's not advocating that the West Virginia state police pull over random white "yoopers" driving cars with Michigan tags.

O.P.: stop being a hammer that's looking for anything that might be (very) remotely taken for a nail. West Virginia has a heck of lot of socio-economic problems, but black on white hate crime (coming from states away, no less!) isn't exactly one of them.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Damn.

There's a lot of excuses and unproven accusations in this thread.

Bottom line is a black guy is the one who committed this mass shooting.
That may be true, but that doesn't make it a "hate crime against White Appalachian Cities" by any stretch of the imagination. The most glaring unproven accusation lies in the very title of this thread.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Our O.P is borderline advocating for what used to be called "Sunshine Laws" as in "don't let the sun set on your head ******." Because there's no one from Detroit, Michigan who has any legitimate business being in West Virginia, eh? Huntington isn't exactly a "holler" and out-of-towners aren't overly unusual sights to see.

I can guarantee that he's not advocating that the West Virginia state police pull over random white "yoopers" driving cars with Michigan tags.

O.P.: stop being a hammer that's looking for anything that might be (very) remotely taken for a nail. West Virginia has a heck of lot of socio-economic problems, but black on white hate crime (coming from states away, no less!) isn't exactly one of them.
I get that. I got that when said person said "Why else would he come from Detroit to an overwhelmingly European American small city in West Virginia?". I figured the OP was borderline advocating for "sundown laws". Given what I know about Huntington, I figured as much about the OP. Out of towners are commonplace in Huntington. In fact, West Virginia receives alot of tourists every year, mainly because of its beautiful scenery, places to kayak, whitewater rafting, and mountain climbing. People go there to ski. West Virginia has some good places to go to. Some history lovers go to Harpers Ferry, WV because of its connection to abolitionist John Brown.

Like you, I think the OP is saying things to imply "Blacks need to be kept away from certain places". It won't be said outright, but then again, that is the point. To say something without directly saying it.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Drug trade. Crews from Detroit hoods branch out to Ohio, western PA, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia...and further. Huntington is a popular spot for east side crews. The crews are many and it lowers the crime rate in Detroit but raises it in other areas. They make a lot of money in Appalachia.

Drug dealing in Detroit is a prolific. Unless you are a big 5 metro....Detroiters are probably pushing in your city.
They make a lot of money in Appalachia because drug dealing in Huntington, WV is ALSO prolific. Huntington was featured in a recent documentary with regard to the tactics they are taking to try and reduce their number of drug deaths; overdoses; children having to be taken away from their drug-addicted parents etc.

It's truly sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yep, Huntington has a Democratic mayor though who doesn't have any common sense though and only cares about being poltiically correct.

If people with Michigan plates from Detroit are flocking there, I wonder why they don't pull them all over? Political correctness?
LOL. Pretty sure that would be a violation of rights.

Perchance they should pull over all the white meth addicts that provide a customer base for a dealer from Detroit?

Old 01-04-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
That may be true, but that doesn't make it a "hate crime against White Appalachian Cities" by any stretch of the imagination. The most glaring unproven accusation lies in the very title of this thread.
What we do know is that drugs were involved in this.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:38 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Yeah because when you want to commit a crime against folks in the Appalachians you go to the local Hookah Bar....all the best white Appalachians hang out there.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I get that. I got that when said person said "Why else would he come from Detroit to an overwhelmingly European American small city in West Virginia?". I figured the OP was borderline advocating for "sundown laws". Given what I know about Huntington, I figured as much about the OP. Out of towners are commonplace in Huntington. In fact, West Virginia receives alot of tourists every year, mainly because of its beautiful scenery, places to kayak, whitewater rafting, and mountain climbing. People go there to ski. West Virginia has some good places to go to. Some history lovers go to Harpers Ferry, WV because of its connection to abolitionist John Brown.

Like you, I think the OP is saying things to imply "Blacks need to be kept away from certain places". It won't be said outright, but then again, that is the point. To say something without directly saying it.
I was born and raised in Appalachian Ohio about three hours away from Huntington, currently live about forty-five minutes away from Weirton and spend a lot of my recreational dollars in West Virginia due to the bounty of things to do and the gorgeous scenery.

Being that our O.P. is posting from nearly half a continent away from W.V., there is little reason that this local crime (in the grand scheme of things on a national level) should have attracted his notice other than to use as a strop against which to grind his white nationalistic ax.

Now if the accused shooter had written a white-hating screed of some sort before gunning down innocents in a hookah bar, the O.P. might have a leg to stand on. However, like much drug-related crime, there was a very personal bent to it, i.e., this was no random act of violence against the good white folks of West Virginia.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-04-2020 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
This is basically what I have been saying. Said person can't say "Blacks need to stay out of Whites areas" or "I don't want Blacks going to West Virginia or any other 90% White state" without some kind of reaction. This is why dog whistle terms like "Michigan" and "Detroit" are being used. When said person said "why would someone from Detroit want to go to a heavily European-American town", I know what said person meant. It was a dog whistle for "I don't want Blacks in West Virginia", or rather "this is what happens when Blacks are around".
Yup. LC's post is about as subtle as smacking a person in the face with a cold, dead fish. Black folks should be prevented from going anywhere near a mostly white community under penalty of the law.

Quote:
Let's call that what it is. Another dog whistle. It's aimed at Black people, but said person is willing to through Whhites, especially Whites from Appalachia, under the bus. Said person thinks getting rid of Section 8 will keep Blacks away. Alot of people have section 8 because they need it.

I will speak from experience. I've seen White female hook up with trashy White males, up close and person. An old friend of mine from college got murdered by her ex-boyfriend, whom from what I heard, was a crazy type. This wasn't in Appalachia. This was suburban Atlanta, the nicer suburbs at that. I have seen situations where women were attracted to the worst and most undesirable men. Section 8 had nothing to do with it. It was just flat out bad judgment no matter what race the man or woman was. Taking away Section 8 won't stop some women from procreating with undesirable men of any race.

The fact that some people are bothered by the fact that non-Black women would have sex with Black men says alot of how some people are just bigots. It also boils down to something else. Some individuals didn't have a problem with Section 8 or any other public assistance program, until large numbers of Blacks started using it, or in this case, non-Black females were dating/living with Black men, particularly the underclass Black males. The OP's Section 8 comment is basically another dog whistle.

I think both parties at this point aren't doing a good job. You have conservatives who would throw poor Whites, particularly those living in Appalachia, under the bus. The motive of those particular conservatives comes out of what Lee Atwater mentioned. Lee Atwater mentioned that dog whistles like "welfare" were used as an abstract way of targeting minorities (especially Blacks). White people getting hurt by it will be looked at as collateral damage at best. In the case of Appalachia, some conservatives will look at the region with their own version of elitism. On the other hand, there are liberals with a very elitist, arrogant attitude towards Appalachia. There are those who see the region as hopeless, even hateful towards it. There is a bit of elitist coming from both parties.
Agree with what you have posted, although I will add that it's not just women who fall for the wrong kind of guy - men can and do fall for the wrong kind of women as well.

I still have family back in the Appalachian mountains and they are good people doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. Outsiders just love to stereotype "hillbillies," so they can feel superior to them and write them off as expendable. This has been going on at east since the time the big coal companies first came into the Appalachian mountains and persuaded the people who lived there to sign away their mineral rights for pitifully small sums. And I've seen up close and personal what has been done to the Kentucky coal miners. If OP is so worried about us Appalachian "Europeans," why doesn't he go after Peabody coal and all the rest?

If you've never read Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill, you might want to pick up a copy. Caudill (who was a native of Eastern Kentucky) talks about the plight of Appalachia in an honest and compelling way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies