Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:38 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
When I was in recruit training, we learned about McCain refusing early release from a North Vietnamese prison.

He did this for for two reasons.

The first is that others had been there longer and they must be released before him (this in accordance with the Code of Conduct).

The other reason is that the only reason they made this offer was they discovered he was the son of an admiral.

His taking the early release would have been a huge propaganda tool they could use to demoralize US service members.

His refusing the offer makes him a military hero and nothing will change that, but he stayed in DC too long and became part of the swamp.

In the end, he shopped the Steel Dossier around and became part of a Democrat/Never-Trumper conspiracy to interfere with the 2016 presidential election and attempt to destroy the Trump presidency.

This makes him a traitor to the Constitution that he swore an oath to defend.

McCain was no traitor. He spent his life devoted to our country. But he was a Republican not a Trumper. Trump has his own party going on, and it's not the Republican party anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

McCain was no traitor. He spent his life devoted to our country. But he was a Republican not a Trumper. Trump has his own party going on, and it's not the Republican party anymore.

Yes, the Republican Party has been the subject of a hostile take-over by the Tea Party movement, and it no longer serves primarily the interests of the 0.01% that fund it and own its politicians.

But this process started long before Trump came along.

We were discussing the failed Perot campaign and the folly of running as a third party way back in 2009.

We learned a hard lesson back then (1992), and the Clintons were the price we all payed for our inexperience.

So, even then (2009), we knew that the key to political success for working Americans was to take control of one of the major parties.

This we did.

As for McCain, he never really lived in the world you and I live in.

His father was an admiral, so his experience in the Naval Academy was not that of a normal cadet.

When he served in the Navy, everyone around him knew who his father was.

This doesn't make him a bad person, but it does make him disconnected from the average Joe.

So when the Republican Party changed, like you, he didn't understand what was happening, or why.

“It’s very bad,” the Republican senator said. “This performance with our friend out in Phoenix is very hurtful to me,” McCain said. “Because what he did was he fired up the crazies.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...phoenix-120216

To be sure, after failing to inspire the voters twice (2000, 2008), the enthusiastic reception Trump received in McCain's home state got under his skin.

Probably for the first time in his life, he realized that he wasn't all that special just because his name was John McCain.

It's clear from his language, "crazies," that the animosity he had for Trump extended to Trump's supporters.

So when he claims pure motives for transferring the Dossier from a British diplomat, Sir Andrew Wood, to then FBI chief James Comey, I have to apply a little common sense.

I have to ask myself why they, foreign agents, selected McCain.

Why didn't they simply present what they had to the FBI without involving McCain?

They do have phones in Britain after all.

Does any serious person believe McCain didn't ask himself that same question?

McCain was selected to be the conduit because he hated Trump, disrespected his supporters and was known let his anger to get the better of him.

He was perfect for the job of getting the public investigation started before the information, or even its origin, was examined.

With that, CNN and other anti-Trump news outlets were able to spend three years de-legitimatizing the Trump presidency with breaking bombshell reports always falling on the heels of the last.

"I trust the FBI and Special Counsel Robert Mueller, an experienced, skilled prosecutor, and a man of exceptional probity and character, to separate fact from fiction, and get to the bottom of the so-called dossier," the Arizona senator wrote. "If it is the product of slander or groundless fears, he'll say so. If any of it is true, he'll say so."

https://www.businessinsider.com/john...-russia-2018-5

Sorry John, your half-hearted CYA doesn't begin prove you were stupid enough to erringly wander into a conspiracy to spy on the Trump campaign and damage and/or destroy the Trump presidency involving the DNC, Hillary Campaign, foreign spies, Russian state actors and our own intelligence agencies.

My apologies if he really was that stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies