Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:23 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Embarrassing...apparently no world/US geography elementary education anymore? Maybe getting a stamp album/collecting stamps should be mandatory for kids for a year? A great way to learn geography outside of school.
We had to label a blank map with all the countries in the world when I was in middle school geography. Decent way to learn where things are, especially when your grade depended on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That doesn't mean much except to display how badly Americans are at geography in general. It goes back to getting a decent education in school. I bet most couldn't find Iowa on a map either.
Nonsense. If Americans can’t even find their so called nemesis on a world map, that is indicative of a STUNNING LEVEL of national stupidity about geopolitics...and for a nation that stays in war as much as we do, that simply can’t be downplayed as a simple national ignorance of geography.

Because you can bet your ass that Iranians know exactly where we are on a map.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yeah, but I'd imagine people would be more interested.

Not all hobbies require hard core dedication.

In fact most people are too dedicated to sports and entertainment, as if its filling a void in their life.

That leaves little room for anything else.

That being said Americans find politics exhausting, not interesting. That's why they will never engage in anything adjacent to it.
The guy who saves up 10,000 dollars for a trip to Singapore, Brunai, and kuala lumpur is no better than the person who saves the same to follow a band around the country or has a goal of visiting all 32 NFL stadiums.

A hobby is a hobby either way. No need to degrade people for having different interests.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Americans are really bad at geography.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I was recently with a group of American adults who thought the Netherlands was by New Zealand or maybe the Philippines. I think several people knew the location but were stunned to silence by the discussion. Of course this was in New Mexico - a place many Americans don't even think is a state.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We don't know where it is or care anything about Iran....all we want is to see it in the rear view mirror of history.

Sincerely,

America
So very true. Lots of people have absolutely no interest in the field of geography and possibly couldn't even name the county they live in.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:37 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Geography is a hobby, no different than sports and entertainment.

It's not a hobby. With more people living on this planet, it is a knowledge that one should have.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Americans are really bad at geography.
My experience is that many people throughout the world are.

Regionally not bad, but once outside their region, they start lacking the knowledge.

I think it comes down to interest or not. I have always had a great interest in geography and other countries, going all the way back when I was a little kid, even taking first place in the school's geography bee. Many other kids had zero care aside from the mandated stuff in school. I am sure this carries over into adulthood.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I bet the families and friends of every service man and woman who are serving/served in the Middle East, especially those who lost loved ones, knows where Iran is.
Maybe they are even careful enough not to get Iran confused with Iraq as I sometimes do.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
We had to label a blank map with all the countries in the world when I was in middle school geography. Decent way to learn where things are, especially when your grade depended on it.
We had to do that too as well as knowing all American states and state capital cities. Collecting coins a good way to learn about America too...got all 50 "statehood collection" quarters framed on wall (and US territories). They now have the "statehood national park" quarters out which I'm actively collecting...only in a book now, may put in wall frame if I can find one once complete.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_State_quarters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies