Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
I vote for a few Democrats, Trump won because of disaffected Democrats. The Democrats support of illegal and even legal immigration, demographic change, etc. makes me sick.They want to fundamentally change our nation into a non white liberal freakshow and I am not with it. I probably would feel more comfortable with something like the European right wing parties and multiparty coalition politics.

The Democrats are dead to me, like many white males I am not voting Democrat anymore. America desperately needs a multiparty system
Wrong, Trump won because Hillary was a horrible candidate who ran a horrible campaign. I agree that we need a multiparty system but as long as people vote straight ticket, it will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 11:26 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I am a hunter and backcountry outdoorsman as well. Nothing Trump has done has harmed the environment. All he has done is to roll back some of the overreach of the previous administration. The previous admin was both deliberately "anti-industry", and excessively pandering to the environmental nutjobs (the very nuts that want to ban hunting, fishing and backcountry access, btw). Trump is actually working on a balance of regulations that allows both our economy to prosper and to protect the environment.
So signing an executive order that does away with environmental studies for large projects is going to protect the environment? Please tell me how so?

Old 01-10-2020, 11:36 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,538 times
There is an interesting podcast about this...apparently Trump has stacked the EPA advisory committee (one that recommends policy decisions) with employees of big energy (oil/coal etc). He fired (or failed to renew) all of the scientists and replaced them with biased individuals.

Essentially they are stealing our current natural resources and future environment for $$$$. Not that Trump voters care.

Podcast if you care to educate yourself:

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/scuttling-science/

Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The President's council is headily stocked with former lobbyists and oil company execs." as was the case under obama and clnton and NEVER a word of complaint. I wonder WHY?
Was it? I don't remember. Heavily stocked with Big Oil and Big coal? I'm not saying it's untrue just no names come to mind immediately.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Environmental regulations are a huge sore spot for me. Here's why. They are all about the $$$. Obama's WOTUS act for example, defined nearly ANY puddle a "seasonal body of water" and any drainage from that puddle a "seasonal stream" subject to buffers and setbacks, which made BILLIONS of $$$ of land useless in my state. For a couple of my relatives that were looking to buy land and build a home, they had an AWFUL time. An area of "seasonal wet depression" 0.08 acres in size left one property of 5 acres nearly useless, it would have required $7,000 in mitigation to fit in a home of less than 1,000sq/ft footprint with no garage. Another property they viewed and researched was 12 acres of farm with a house barn and pole building that had been annexed into the city. We had a very wet spring and what had been cow pasture and hay field was all of the sudden deemed "a mosaic of wetlands" because of the various puddles across the cow pasture area. In the end, less than 2 acres was usable of the 12 and parts of the house and pole building were now encroaching and had limitations on what could be done with them and what they could be used for. Cattle could no longer be in the cow field as they had been for decades prior. The 3rd property they looked at was held up by some tree's that couldn't be cut down (wouldn't allow them to build and plant new trees) and the presence of "pocket gophers" which would have required a 6 month "study" with no guarantee of any "gopher mitigation plan approval". It's just asinine.
Yet, just down the street, an area of wetlands was plowed under and filled up to the same grade as the state highway, and a McDonald's popped up in no time. They didn't change anything, just made it harder and more expensive for the average joe to build a home, while for the rich and corporations continue to plunder as long as they pay the demorats for their over-reaching policies.
Obama administration's motto should have been "Americans last".

Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Are we risking our environment to export energy? I am a hunter and fisherman and I love the outdoors. President Trump needs to be the environmental president in his second term. No changes to the National Environmental Policy Act
And because you are brilliant and intelligent and sane you know that energy independence did not happen in just three years right? We were at an estimated 91% independence in 2016...which means Trump is responsible for 9% if we are in fact at 100%.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
There is an interesting podcast about this...apparently Trump has stacked the EPA advisory committee (one that recommends policy decisions) with employees of big energy (oil/coal etc). He fired (or failed to renew) all of the scientists and replaced them with biased individuals.

Essentially they are stealing our current natural resources and future environment for $$$$. Not that Trump voters care.

Podcast if you care to educate yourself:

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/scuttling-science/

And the difference is?
These policies were always "for sale" through mitigation (build your flaming river smog factory here, and preserve a wetland nearby in return) for the corporations and rich, while making it so much harder for the private land owner whose land was made worthless by over reaching regulations.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And because you are brilliant and intelligent and sane you know that energy independence did not happen in just three years right? We were at an estimated 91% independence in 2016...which means Trump is responsible for 9% if we are in fact at 100%.
This is true. Remember Obama's "Drill baby drill?"
Also, don't forget....much of the goods we stopped making in our country due to environmental regulations are now made overseas using dirtier energy, complete disregard for the environment, and then shipped half way around the world via high sulfur diesel powered container ships and sold to us. We all share the same ocean and air right? So we're out the jobs, tax base, and money while we've only sped up the rate of polluting our earth. But to a demorat, it looks good on paper right?

Old 01-10-2020, 12:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
And the difference is?
These policies were always "for sale" through mitigation (build your flaming river smog factory here, and preserve a wetland nearby in return) for the corporations and rich, while making it so much harder for the private land owner whose land was made worthless by over reaching regulations.

So you listened and this is your thoughtful response?

Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This is true. Remember Obama's "Drill baby drill?"
Also, don't forget....much of the goods we stopped making in our country due to environmental regulations are now made overseas using dirtier energy, complete disregard for the environment, and then shipped half way around the world via high sulfur diesel powered container ships and sold to us. We all share the same ocean and air right? So we're out the jobs, tax base, and money while we've only sped up the rate of polluting our earth. But to a demorat, it looks good on paper right?
You got some kind of facts to back up your feelings expressed here.

Can you show the implementation of environmental regulations and the subsequent shift in manufacturing overseas.....or do you just feel this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies