Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting occurrences at McDonald's.

That their black executives went from 42 to 7 actually is pretty suspicious and indicative of "something" going on IMO. Any black person who has worked in corporate America knows that there is a lot of prejudices and bias against black people in general in that sector, but those who make it to the top, rarely leave unless they are offered a much better opportunity or there is some sort of environment that they cannot stand so they leave before they blow up like in Dave Chappelle's old skit "when keeping it real goes wrong" lol.

I think it's funny and not surprising that the OP and most of the posters are very quick to dismiss it. I also think its very interesting that this occurred once they got a British CEO. I personally believe that British people have many more prejudices and racist ideas/attitudes about black people than white Americans based on interactions I've had with them over the years. They like to claim they are not because they are progressive liberals, but they seriously have probably been the most racist white people I've ever worked with. So this all happening under that particular CEOs tenure is interesting to me due to my personal experiences and knowing that there are cultural differences between white Americans and white British people.
Have you thought maybe those other ones weren’t fit for their job? Maybe McDonald’s originally hired those 42 based on virtue signaling or political correctness and then later found out that they were not cut out for those roles and are now hiring based on competency instead of color or quota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The literally are executives.. WTF do you want big mac reparations?
That is the fallacy many people have about racism. If racism exists in reality...then nobody would make it or become successful, hence, people making it and becoming successful means there is no racism.

The truth is that racism STUNTS GROWTH....but depending on the degree of it, does not prevent growth. One can be successful but could likely have been more successful if not for racism. The fact that these people were black executives does not exempt them from having been victims of racism.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Interesting occurrences at McDonald's.

That their black executives went from 42 to 7 actually is pretty suspicious and indicative of "something" going on IMO. Any black person who has worked in corporate America knows that there is a lot of prejudices and bias against black people in general in that sector, but those who make it to the top, rarely leave unless they are offered a much better opportunity or there is some sort of environment that they cannot stand so they leave before they blow up like in Dave Chappelle's old skit "when keeping it real goes wrong" lol.

I think it's funny and not surprising that the OP and most of the posters are very quick to dismiss it. I also think its very interesting that this occurred once they got a British CEO. I personally believe that British people have many more prejudices and racist ideas/attitudes about black people than white Americans based on interactions I've had with them over the years. They like to claim they are not because they are progressive liberals, but they seriously have probably been the most racist white people I've ever worked with. So this all happening under that particular CEOs tenure is interesting to me due to my personal experiences and knowing that there are cultural differences between white Americans and white British people.
My advice is to never trust anything put forth in the press at this stage because it's coming from the plaintiff lawyers and is solely designed to put public pressure on McDonalds. These claims (like the womens soccer team fair pay case which was a pile of deception) are often only partially true or don't tell the full story.

While they may still have a case, the press-releases should not be taken as fact.

For example, McDonalds has been slashing layers of management for something like 3 years now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mcdonal...ure-1528378704

Just citing 42 to 7 leaves out obvious key information and designed to in your words "look suspicious".

You'd have to see how many were cut, what their ages and mobility were and so forth.

For example, with diversity hiring initiatives you're more likely to see blacks and women in leadership roles at younger ages than older ages. That can make them more mobile than their older whiter counterparts and thus when McD's started chopping, they had an easier time jumping ship while the older people with more invested in terms of years of service as well as age issues waited it out.

Just some food for thought. Don't buy into lawyer press releases.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:36 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is the fallacy many people have about racism. If racism exists in reality...then nobody would make it or become successful, hence, people making it and becoming successful means there is no racism.

The truth is that racism STUNTS GROWTH....but depending on the degree of it, does not prevent growth. One can be successful but could likely have been more successful if not for racism. The fact that these people were black executives does not exempt them from having been victims of racism.
At one fortune 500 company where my relative was high up in HR....being a person of color actually helped you climb the corporate ladder due to their diversity initiatives.

Just something to consider for those of you whose exposure to corporate america is rooted in what you see on television shows.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Have you thought maybe those other ones weren’t fit for their job? Maybe McDonald’s originally hired those 42 based on virtue signaling or political correctness and then later found out that they were not cut out for those roles and are now hiring based on competency instead of color or quota.
No I never thought that lol.

And if you had worked in corporate America and have known any black executives, you'd not think what you think either. McDonald's prior to the British CEO was very attractive to black executives. I work in upper management myself and I am black. Black executives typically are more educated and experienced than most white executives I've worked with so the idea that someone at that level of an organization is not "fit" for their job is laughable to me. I worked with a white woman who was an executive at a company who didn't even have a college degree - she literally only had a high school diploma. I bet you'd think she was more "fit" than my boss who was a black woman at the time who had a MBA and over 10 years more experience in that industry versus the white woman.

McDonald's has always had a high rate of managers, owners, and executives who were POC. So them not doing so during the tenure of that particular CEO is suspect to me and makes me think that the black executives left due to the environment. I have personally left an organization for similar reasons. At this level of a black person's career, they are not just going to leave a place unless they got a better position or there was some sort of negative environment as I noted. Black executives are very highly qualified in most cases and a large amount of owners of McDonald's locations are black as well.

Please note, that I know a couple people who have worked at McDonalds Corporation who are black and who have MBAs and worked there in mid to executive level management. They were/are very impressive people and only those of you who have no experience with black people would think the bold.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My advice is to never trust anything put forth in the press at this stage because it's coming from the plaintiff lawyers and is solely designed to put public pressure on McDonalds. These claims (like the womens soccer team fair pay case which was a pile of deception) are often only partially true or don't tell the full story.

While they may still have a case, the press-releases should not be taken as fact.

For example, McDonalds has been slashing layers of management for something like 3 years now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mcdonal...ure-1528378704

Just citing 42 to 7 leaves out obvious key information and designed to in your words "look suspicious".

You'd have to see how many were cut, what their ages and mobility were and so forth.

For example, with diversity hiring initiatives you're more likely to see blacks and women in leadership roles at younger ages than older ages. That can make them more mobile than their older whiter counterparts and thus when McD's started chopping, they had an easier time jumping ship while the older people with more invested in terms of years of service as well as age issues waited it out.

Just some food for thought. Don't buy into lawyer press releases.
I agree in regards to the bold. I also feel that perhaps some of them left due to knowing that something was going on. Not enough info was provided and it wouldn't be due to the type of case this is. However, it is just suspect, mostly because as I noted above, I know people who have a history at McDonald's Corporation. I actually am going to ask them about this as I'd not seen this in the press.

I knew about the CEO's issues who is now gone but it makes me wonder if he did more damage financially which was driving this move. However, due to me working a lot in corporations, I do know that there are levels of prejudice and bias that black managers and executives experience that most white people don't believe exist. And oftentimes black employees will leave en masse due to those issues. The one I cited above where I left the organization - there were 11 of us who left within 6 months because of issues there. All of us except for one was black. The one was a white man and he worked closely with our finance director who was a black woman and he got sick of how they were treating her, which prompted him to leave too.

But we don't know what the situation is for sure.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:48 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....we all know there are not racist in corporate America....only on C-D.
Sounds like they are discriminating against Whitey since only 13% of the population is Black.
Maybe the 7 they kept represents the 45% and whites / hispanics were discriminated against when it came time to fire executives.

Quote:
McDonald’s said it disagreed with the characterization of the company’s behavior. In a statement, it said 45% of its corporate officers and all of its field vice-presidents are people of color.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:49 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Systemic lol. That's the new buzzwords the false race card players use.
Quote:
Systematic racism has been discussed and spoken about for nearly 100 years. I was listening last night to one of my favorite WuTang rap songs from the late 1990s that features a segment of a speech by Malcolm X who spoke of systematic racist oppression. The speech was from the 1960s.
systemic, not systematic.

and cite pls. the 60's was not 100 years ago, believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sounds like they are discriminating against Whitey since only 13% of the population is Black.

Quote:
McDonald’s said it disagreed with the characterization of the company’s behavior. In a statement, it said 45% of its corporate officers and all of its field vice-presidents are people of color.
sure sounds that way

Old 01-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At one fortune 500 company where my relative was high up in HR....being a person of color actually helped you climb the corporate ladder due to their diversity initiatives.

Just something to consider for those of you whose exposure to corporate america is rooted in what you see on television shows.
I admit that often corporations will promote a black person due to their initiatives and to "look good." However, IMO that is another form of bias and prejudice. I ask about these things now during interviews when I go because I'm not trying to be anyone's token. As such, I never go anywhere where I'll be the only black person (and FWIW my network because I've done private and public sector in my field has a lot of federal government connections - a lot of them were trying to get me to come join the federal government and move to DC after Trump's election and a lot of black executives left/found other employment in certain agencies/departments. It was VERY enticing because it would be literally almost 3 times what I make today, but DC is expensive so the COL wouldn't make me come up as much financially as it seems and I didn't want to be a token in the Trump administration so I turned down those opportunities).

But in regards to this situation at McDonald's this is not really an issue there because they have a history of having a large amount of African American executives and mangers and owners. The culture of that company is not one where there needs to be an aggressive policy to hire candidates of color like in other places that literally have no managers or executives who are women or POC (there are a LOT of them and your relative may have worked for one of those organizations who have issues both hiring and keeping employees of color so they make rash decisions or promote whoever they have on staff who is black or another minority).

I'll note, I've also noticed that there really are less advertising dollars being spent focusing on black Americans of late from McDonald's. They usually buy a lot of advertising that focuses on African Americans on black media outlets and during certain TV shows/sporting events that I haven't seen in the past couple of years. So that is interesting as well.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
systemic, not systematic.

and cite pls. the 60's was not 100 years ago, believe it or not.
WEB DuBois wrote a lot of material about systematic racism and oppression back in the 1800s dude. Read some literature by black people and you'd know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies