Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I said the other day we need a Division of Lesbians and Gays to go over and kick their azz.

That would show them.
An example of the same sort of attitudes from a resident of a western society. Goes to show that as a society. we haven't progressed as far as many think we have. Civilization is a thin veneer everywhere. Why do societies and individuals obsess and hate over other people's sexuality anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no idea if Mohammed was a pedophile- sexual attraction to prepubescent humans. I do know what today would be viewed as a child marriage were the norm all over the world in the Mohammed years. The concept of childhood is a modern one. Most cultures however took a dim view of consummating marriage before the onset of puberty - typically age 9 in many geo regions.

It was not that long ago that 11-12 year olds could be married in many US states, especially with the consent of a parent.

The legal age of consent has been a moving target throughout the world, since forever.

We are all decedents of what today is viewed as a child and most of these were arranged by parents.

As for slave trading..... plenty of Old Testament references to slaves and what was acceptable behaviors regarding relationships with slaves. Nothing in the New Testament contradicts slavery. No shortage of people rationalized slavery based on the Bible, for centuries.

Some of of the revered US founding fathers engaged in slave trading and some engaged in sexual relationships with their slaves.

For most of history, religious leaders were geo political leaders and were no strangers to wars and never ending land grabs.

slaves in the Bible were not the same as slaves in the 1800s

Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I know plenty of liberals with well thought out opinions. And plenty of righties who just attack there character and try to shout them down. And the vice versa. It is disgusting either way. If you live in a democracy you are supposed to be able to disagree with ideas while still respecting the person. To me that us part of being educated. Too many people accept straw man caricatures of those who are in the other side of the aisle.
This is exactly why people like me object to the Democrat's defining ideology of identity politics. Identity politics does exactly what you said, it pigeon holes everyone into a box with a label on it, which characterizes you according to stereotyped caricatures of how a person like you behaves, thinks, feels and presumes to know your needs wants and desires.

It's racist, it's demeaning, and it's dehumanizing, but it's how they choose to automatically hate you on sight, after only knowing a few tidbits of information about you.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:47 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You have to be retarded - not dim, not slow, but flat-out retarded to support these countries and their religious insanity ... and take the tone that America is worse somehow.
sjw leftists will proudly rise to the challenge..

Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this, 5 men were beheaded after confessing to being gay, in Saudi Arabia, long time US ally.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/27/five-...rture-9328194/

Same deal in Qatar and the UAE, other US allies.

It’s religious insanity.
Last I checked the little Italian lady clutching her rosary beads in the church down the street from me was not beheading gays.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:52 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is exactly why people like me object to the Democrat's defining ideology of identity politics. Identity politics does exactly what you said, it pigeon holes everyone into a box with a label on it, which characterizes you according to stereotyped caricatures of how a person like behaves, thinks, feels and presumes to know your needs wants and desires.

It's racist, it's demeaning, and it's dehumanizing, but it's how they choose to automatically hate you on sight, after only knowing a few tidbits of information about you.
But you describe it as being something democrats do. Republicans are just as bad, in my view far worse, in fact accusing us if being terrorists and not real Americans smacks if McCarthyism, does it not?
And many, perhaps not all, but many use phrases such as identify politics and SJW to sidestep discussing important issues that have been major issues throughout our history. When I look at our history how various groups were treated us absolutely shocking. People say that we are crazy to place so much emphasis on history? Is it not only common sense that if fifty years ago millions of Americans were perfectly ok with segregated bathrooms, etc, and would often violently defend such practices, that many in our country still harbor those sentiments? Or that their offspring only one or two generations removed still do? What is so crazy about that assumption? Those attitudes were not passed down in many families? And yet every time someone brings up a possible instance of racism many eyes automatically roll and it gets dismissed as some form of whining, ungratefulness, greed, or some other negative aspersion. Especially if our racist history is brought up. In some instances skepticism about motives is justified...humans are humans...but not always.
Maybe identity politics is largely a realization by often very intelligent people in many groups that they HAVE to keep up the fight and maintain constant vigilance to maintain their civil treatment in society. Isn't that one of the main lessons of our national history?

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 01-10-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
until it impacts you. I guess we should be like Obama and give billions of dollars to Iran to buy more ballisitc missiles. I guess you are ok with their human rights records.
Nobody in any country on this planet has the right to morally pontificate about any other country's human rights record, when all governments' primary reason for existence is to inflict misery and suffering on their own citizens.

The US government is a gang of thieves/rapists/murderers who spread global suffering better than any empire that has ever existed...and you want to try and take a moral high ground position against Iran where human rights are concerned?

Colossal ignorance, thy name is...

Old 01-10-2020, 07:56 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
until it impacts you. I guess we should be like Obama and give billions of dollars to Iran to buy more ballisitc missiles. I guess you are ok with their human rights records.
Obama returned their own money to them. Why so many years on must this still be explained? Decreasing tensions w/Iran and returning their money, is one of the few, if not only thing Obama got right.

It has impacted me; spending, taxation, deficits, debt, spying, increased police statism, TSA, Homeland Security, reduction of freedoms,increased danger of travel abroad, etc.
Your policies are proven failures, see the list above and 18 years of continual war for further evidence.
The US tortures, bombs, shoots and occupies, where did it get its human rights creds to criticize others?

Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
maybe we should bomb some civility into those savages
We bombed the heck out of North Vietnam and they still didn`t like us. There`s no pleasing some people.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
nah.... I don't. I think its stupid actually. they are the militant homosexuals that need to queitly go away.

but whether I agree with them or not is a moot point. I do not support hanging or throwing gay people off of buildings because they choose to do that. American policies did not make countries like Iran go insane. I was around for the 1979 revolution when they held our people hostage. It took a president with balls, Ronald Reagan, to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So did our founding fathers. It was a death sentence until Jefferson declared that castration was sufficient.

People like FKD19124 like to fly the rainbow flag, especially when it is politically convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies