Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“As a teacher, you have to control your temper even when students test you,” Flagler Sheriff Rick Staly said Wednesday in a written statement, according to The News-Journal. “This is an unfortunate incident involving a teacher and a student. My daughter is a school teacher and I know from her how misbehaved some students can be but as a teacher you must deal with it appropriately. Corporal punishment like the old days is not allowed today.”
Sheriff Rick is an idiot. All the teacher did, from the video evidence, is pick the kid up and put him out of the room, which was appropriate and was not "corporal punishment".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-t...from-classroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 05:43 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ok so the "rights" of the kid may have been violated but what about the Rights of the rest of the kids in the class room that might have actually wanted to learn something that day?

The kid had zero respect for himself, the teacher and the other kids in the class.

What was the teacher to do, call the school police? and the results are similar? Call the real cops and they arrest the kid?

I guess the teacher should have just ripped up the lesson plan and let the kid DJ a dance party for the rest of the class.

At least then the teacher wouldn't be facing prosecution and losing his job.
To be honest in FL they call the principal the resource officer or the cops. That’s what should happen - then we can yell as to why a kid has police record at -14. It’s a catch 22. I have seen a video on Ytube with many teacher, kid other kids physical altercations. It’s crazy. A lot of slam dunking - I’m telling you it’s tough for teachers. It’s out of control on both sides. Teachers cutting kids hair etc. Teachers must resort to higher power - do not engage

Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Given the kind of kid I was in middle school, I would have been laughing at that kid, especially if he had bullied me. I would have looked at it like "you broke the rules, now you're in trouble".

Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
That's why smart parents investigate the schools their children will be attending before moving to an area.

It's not that difficult.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
next time this happens to a teacher, they should fail the whole class for the actions of one student. peer pressure would be a whole lot more effective than the teacher putting hands on a student.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
No matter how justified your actions may be its never a good idea to loose your cool and act aggressively towards children. Ever.
You have it backwards - it's never a good idea for a CHILD to go toe-to-toe with an adult who is in a position of legitimate authority over them.

And shame on the school for reinforcing that brat's bad behavior by not siding with the teacher.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This sort of stuff makes me laugh whenever anyone implies teachers are overpaid.

They deserve combat pay.
In some schools, for sure.

As it relates to this incident, I imagine the school district/ school has a protocol for dealing with unruly students that does not involve a teacher physically removing the student from the classroom.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:28 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

As it relates to this incident, I imagine the school district/ school has a protocol for dealing with unruly students that does not involve a teacher physically removing the student from the classroom.
If that’s the case, shouldn’t he only be in trouble with the school and not the law?

Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 AM

18,443 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

yep, the cops...
..and then the kid has a record

Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I do not understand how any parent can defend/ make excuses for his/ her child’s violent behavior ( video #1)

A girl’s mother trespassed on school property to help her daughter fight. ( video #3)

Then there are the too common altercations between students and teachers over damn phones. Too often, parents insist their children be able to possess and use their phone during and between classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies