Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 02:15 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So chases can be dangerous. But they are often a necessary danger . . . newsflash: police work in general often presents a necessary danger. You can manage risk with chases (i.e. only engage at certain times of the day, in less populated areas, etc.) if necessary. Its the wholesale abandonment of chases that is ludicrous. Why does Atlanta think they have it "right?" There are larger cities than Atlanta that still conduct chases under the appropriate circumstances. And they are just fine.
It's one thing if a police action puts the policeman and the criminal in danger.

It's another thing if a police action puts innocent bystanders in danger - which happens all too often in high speed chases.

There are other ways of capturing criminals besides chasing them at high speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most police departments in this region have ended high-speed chases. The local departments have mostly stopped using smaller, low-slung patrol cars, in favor of large SUVs, that have much higher centers of gravity and are less suitable for fast maneuvering. Prior to this change, there were many high-speed chases, sometimes going down residential streets and posing a great risk to everyone on them.

One night, three city police cars came down my street, almost bumper-to-bumper, doing about 80 mph, behind a motorcycle rider they were pursuing. I could follow their course by hearing their klaxon horns. They made a big loop around the area and came back down a road about a mile away. Then I heard a loud crash, which was from the motorcycle hitting a tree. But there never seemed to be any news about what happened to the rider. I did not feel safe riding my bicycle on the streets at night in those days. Things are much better now and there has been no crime wave resulting from this change of policy.
You can't get over 20mph on the crummy streets of Eugene........they are designed for wheelchairs and peds not cars........

Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
[quote=beb0p;57063897]The chase puts everyone in the path in danger - the police doing the chase, bystanders, and the person being chased. And for what? To catch some dude who is joyriding?

Policy like this is long overdue.

What is the Dude just shot 12 kids getting off of a school bus? What if it was only 3 kids?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would crime go up?

This doesnt mean they can NEVER be apprehended...just go get them another time? Make sure to get their plate number and pick them up them up the next day before they get out of bed. LOL
What if the police encounter a person at the 1st site of a killing rampage that entails multiple sites the killer intends to massacre at?

What if the perp was seen shooting 4 Nuns outside a Church? Still wait to the next morning? What if he's on his way to a 2nd Church, then a 3rd Church?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Supreme Court ruled that the Police have NO DUTY to protect you. They have no way to anticipate crime, so are merely responders to clean up the mess and investigate after the fact. Why should they risk their lives chasing criminals? Their number one concern is going home at the end of their shift. PERIOD.
The police might not have a legal duty to protect people but they arguably might have a moral duty to do so!

Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
why don't you give us a seminar on how to do that? I'm sure some veteran street cops can learn a thing or two from you.
You guys claim you have brains. Im sure not chasing people takes your fun away, but Im sure if you bang your heads together you can come up with clever ways to use radios, spread out cruisers around town, and other departments to catch someone for not signaling, and make it as fun for you as beating people. In a dense metropolis, you just have to think a little harder.

Treat it as if the "perp" bruised your ego by looking at you funny. I know you guys only find people best when one of you was "wronged".

Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
What if the police encounter a person at the 1st site of a killing rampage that entails multiple sites the killer intends to massacre at?

What if the perp was seen shooting 4 Nuns outside a Church? Still wait to the next morning? What if he's on his way to a 2nd Church, then a 3rd Church?
If you have to make ridiculous scenarios, youve lost the argument. Give up now even though you cant possibly look any more ridiculous.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If you have to make ridiculous scenarios, youve lost the argument. Give up now even though you cant possibly look any more ridiculous.
which explains your non-answer...your have no answer, because I'm right. Sorry to ask you to actually think. My bad.

This whole non-chase idea assumes the perp is a One and done criminal. Many times, criminals commit crimes at multiple sites, one right after the next. If it's a violent crime, I'm all for chasing them down.

And, what if the perp uses a stolen car, how exactly are you going to track them down the next day using the tag #'s? Lots of crimes are used using stolen cars, its not unusual.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 01-11-2020 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 03:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.cbs46.com/news/atlanta-p...f6342aa6e.html

This is NOT the Onion.

Just when I thought that Democrats couldn't be more reckless, they go ahead and do this. And, yes, this is Democrat policy in Atlanta at the Atlanta PD is directly under the control of the mayor and such a decision could not be made without the blessing of the mayor.

Apparently, a vehicle chase led to an accident some weeks ago, where two people died. But that's why most normal police departments will decide to not engage in vehicle chases in highly populated areas during certain times of the day, etc. They don't decide to stop all chases, period.

Damn. This truly is a wicked policy that is asked for more death and destruction throughout the city
there are 2 ways to read this, it seems.

First, the mayor rarely runs a city these days, and the CoP is usually independent of the City Council until time to replace for cause anyway. Sounds more like a pause, until they review procedures, training etc.

I'm not in ATL (seems you aren't either), so can't speak to what's happening with chases. I do find this phrase curious, and worthy of exploration:

Quote:
the rate of occurrence of injury/death as a result of the pursuits and the likelihood of the judicial system according any level of accountability to the defendants arrested as a result of the pursuits.”
the incident that ended with 2 deaths doesn't seem to support her position, in my opinion:

https://www.cbs46.com/news/high-spee...b24cdd4c3.html

Quote:
Around 2:30 p.m. officers attempted stop a vehicle that had been involved in an armed carjacking and robbery earlier in the morning at a Wells Fargo
the 2 suspects WERE charged with murder, so who knows what this "accountability to defendants" she was talking about. Their career criminal behavior does make one mad.

Quote:
“It does fall within our standard operating procedure,” Glazier said. “We don’t chase everyone. We’re very strict on who we allow our officers to chase. In this case, since the vehicle was taken (at) gunpoint — it was a carjacking — we did allow the chase to continue.”

Old 01-11-2020, 04:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This accident resulting from a Border Patrol chase was one helluva mess. This happened only a few miles from my house. I drove past the wreckage and it looked like a damn war zone. 2 people killed and multiple life threatening injuries.

The Border Patrol and Cochise County cops have updated their policies on chases after this happened because people were so outraged.

https://www.willcoxrangenews.com/new...912384607.html
this happened in 2004...

Quote:
A Cochise County Sheriff deputy backed off from the chase because of the excessive speed of the truck.

Another deputy put out spikes but removed them before the truck came. Tire spikes were put out by the Sierra Vista Police Department in the area where the crash happened.
Quote:
Ferraro and fellow prosecutor Jonathan Granoff argued for harsh sentences for both men. They pointed out that Zepeda-Cruz, who is also from Honduras, had been arrested four times prior to the crash, leading them to believe he was a guide for human smugglers.

Valle-Martinez, prosecutors said, fled from the crash and was caught twice within the next three weeks with groups of other illegal entrants.

Since Valle-Martinez claimed he was from Mexico and gave authorities a false name, he was deported, Granoff said. Had he said he was from Honduras, he would have been taken into custody.

On Dec. 7 — less than two months after the crash — Valle-Martinez was arrested again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies