Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:50 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
That guy shouldn't be a cop anymore, he could easily be dead right now if that guy had more of an intent to harm him than to merely force the suicide by cop.

Anyone who wouldn't shoot center mass at someone charging them or their partner with a weapon shouldn't work a job that may put them in that kind of a position. It's not fair to their family, their partner, and their partner's family.

To put it nicely......you don't know what you are talking about. You are not in his shoes and you have no appreciation of the weight that hangs over each cop's head when "doing the right thing" can make you immediately public enemy no 1 by the social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 06:07 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I hope the cop is ok... He gave the guy a lot more leeway and warning than I would have.. but then again you really don't know until in that situation. I'm surprised that the other cop didn't discharge his weapon after he got up and charged again... or maybe he did and I missed it. Its good that he was there though considering he probably saved his life.

But yeh.. if you shoot, you shoot to kill and at center of mass. This is precisely why.

Anything else.. like flashbangs (which are not effective outdoors anyways) and such is silliness.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:12 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
The laws in this country don't promote "shoot to maim"... if you aim for the legs, you can't say you were afraid for your life, or that the person was a threat needing to be neutralized.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:20 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To put it nicely......you don't know what you are talking about. You are not in his shoes and you have no appreciation of the weight that hangs over each cop's head when "doing the right thing" can make you immediately public enemy no 1 by the social media.
To put it the only way I know how.....your ignorant assumption that I don't know what I'm talking about in this instance is inaccurate. I understand that it's a really awful situation to be put in, no one is saying it is easy, but if you can't handle that kind of situation, you don't belong on the job.

If you are the type to be paralyzed by cowardice thinking about what social media will say about you then you are already wrong for the job be it in combat arms military positions or the police either military or civilian. Those aren't for everyone, and it's not an insult pointing it out.

Those who aren't cut out for that kind of thing shouldn't let pride cause them to refuse to admit it and end up getting themselves or their buddies killed as a result. It absolutely happens.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:34 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
There is supposed to be a "not" at the end of my statement, and i can't edit it.

The cop should have put him down one way or another by the time he walked the first block backwards.
I could defend walking back for quite a long time keeping the distance given that no one else was around, but the second he started to charge the officer should have planted his feet then aimed center mass and put him down. It's harder to do than to say, but it's what needs to be done in that situation. If you continue to walk back and aim for the legs....well you saw what happened. It's hard enough to do right when your feet are planted and you aim center mass when your life is potentially in danger.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Even after the perp was shot at, he still brandished the weapon. I mean, you shoot a guy in the legs, he goes down, but he's still got consciousness and a weapon. What do you do then? Try and cuff him and he can still hurt you. Wait for him to bleed out to the point of losing consciousness?

This was obviously suicide by cop, and those officers gave a ton of ground to avoid it as well.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
This video is a perfect example why.
Very disturbing.
https://www.full30.com/embed/MDIxMjI...Ntm9SzzoOv_i00
Wow. The cop did way more to not shoot than he needed to. He more than fulfilled his duty to retreat. Disturbing indeed.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Why don't police aim for the leg ?

Short answer:

Because the criminals aim to kill.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
This video is a perfect example why.
Very disturbing.
https://www.full30.com/embed/MDIxMjI...Ntm9SzzoOv_i00
Should have dropped him earlier.

However, in a knife attack, your attention should be on the arm without a knife in it. That is how you are supposed to defend against a knife attack.

On the other hand, if you have a gun, just kill them quickly.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I have to wonder whether a "smart gun" as advocated by VP Joe Biden, could not make it possible for a leg shot could be used in situations like this? The video seems to show that the officer's gun had virtually no electronics to allow for this.

I also think the video shows clearly the need for increased knife control, as the Brits have done. Right now we have virtually no controls in this area. No background checks, no nothing. There is even the increased availability of switchblade knives.

Most police around the world will not mess around if they have a gun pointed at them, indeed you ether out it down as instructed or they will defend themselves incuding shots to the torso.

Knives are a different matter, and the police can use non-lethals where ever possible.

Taser is the usual response, although alternatively police some times use baton guns which fire rubber/plastic bullets.

It should be noted that officers in urban areas can usually count on rapid support, however the more rural and isolated the location the less rapid support is generally available.

Double crewing cars, and support units, coupled with emergency buttons on radios also help.

Whilst clamping down on sales of some knives and weapons helps reduce the problem in the first place, as does stop and search (stop and frisk in the US).

Providing Stop and Search is based on police intelligence including known gang members then there is nothing wrong with it, and it helps stops young people carrying weapons from lots of different ethnic groups and cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies