Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Some debtors are never going to be able to repay their loans. Willingness doesn't always have anything to do with it.
what % of folks go to college, incur debt, aren't able to pay it back in 10 years, and then incur disabilities which make it impossible for them to have meaningful employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
"abuse of power"

impeach!

Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you got high grades, had outstanding standardized test scores, and a solid resume of extracurriculars, you could have gone somewhere accredited for free.
I was ranked high in my class, was on the honor roll, was in clubs, worked in the school library, and I played sports. I received not one scholarship. I was forced to marry when I was a child and because his income was so high I was only eligible for student loans until I was able to escape and they recalculated things the following year. I received absolutely nothing in return for my hard work in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what % of folks go to college, incur debt, aren't able to pay it back in 10 years, and then incur disabilities which make it impossible for them to have meaningful employment?
I don't know. I know that I owe over $173k and will never even be employed for minimum wage, so there is no way I could ever pay back the loans. I have no idea how many people are in my situation. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to be even nongainfully employed. If someone like this guy can have his debt wiped out, I may have a chance someday too. I am in a whole lot worse shape than he is.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
I was ranked high in my class, was on the honor roll, was in clubs, worked in the school library, and I played sports. I received not one scholarship. I was forced to marry when I was a child and because his income was so high I was only eligible for student loans until I was able to escape and they recalculated things the following year. I received absolutely nothing in return for my hard work in school.

I don't know. I know that I owe over $173k and will never even be employed for minimum wage, so there is no way I could ever pay back the loans. I have no idea how many people are in my situation. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to be even nongainfully employed. If someone like this guy can have his debt wiped out, I may have a chance someday too. I am in a whole lot worse shape than he is.
How do you owe so much money???

Old 01-15-2020, 03:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
How do you owe so much money???
student loans
principal + interest
a lot of interest

Since I've never been allowed to be employed then I've never been able to pay on it. The balance goes up every month.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:58 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
$30 billion subsidy each year to farmers is ok with the Republicans though. $300 billion each decade of taxpayer money given to farmers via subsidies. Not just related to the tariff war, but free money farmers have been getting from the US Government for many decades.

Free money from taxpayers, given to farmers, is ok but not for college students, per the GOP. And you wonder why rural areas vote red. They love their free goverment money.
Yeah, no kidding. Those darn farmers, just stop those subsidies. We dont need those farmers anyway.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
This shouldn't happen.

People should not going to expensive colleges and then demanding the debt be wiped out, all the while complaining how it's "not fair" that their parents didn't pay for their education.

I kinda agree. For all would probably not be right but there are certain instances where the debt should be eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I mean, universal healthcare (for citizens and green card holders ONLY), I can understand. Or serious clean up of the bloated healthcare admin industry, because no patient should be billed $50 for a single Tylenol. Healthcare is a necessity, not always voluntary, and something that everyone will be able to have access to. If pregnancy and childbirth medical care wasn't so mind bogglingly expensive, we'd probably see far fewer abortions.

But to prioritize erasing student loans when Americans are still going bankrupt over a one time incident of pneumonia or financially ruined over someone calling an ambulance for them one time? When new mothers face $14K in bills on average (WITH insurance!) for the simplest vaginal birth? That's morally abhorrent to me.

Health insurance is already free for many people. Going to college isn't. That's probably why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I don't believe college should be paid for, because you don't need college to make good money. College is a choice.
I wish someone had told me that.

Quote:
It doesn't. The jobs are hard to get in the first place.

Many jobs are not easy to get nevermind a government job when some have great benefits.

Quote:

I only owe like 30k but I still can't pay it with my dead end job. If I had 30k to just throw away on something that should have never happened I wouldn't be living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
exactly since now they claim housing is a right when isnt it free?
Housing is free? Where?

Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
What, exactly do you feel entitled to force the taxpayers to pay for in return for your "hard work in school"? The taxpayers already funded your education all the way through high school. They provided you with an outstanding opportunity, one kids in many nations are not blessed with.

Quote:
Your case is the absolutely perfect example of why taxpayers absolutely should NOT FUND higher education. You pissed away $173,000 dollars? And you "will never even be employed for minimum wage"? Did you spend that money in a 4 or more year party? Did you perhaps indulge a hobby in a field with no career potential? If you, and so, so many other children are that irresponsible with money that you are borrowing and will have to repay-you provide the perfect example why the taxpayers should not fund your irresponsibility. In either of those cases-just why should the taxpayers ever pay your way? And yours is just one small example.

Just why should hard-working, overtaxed workers be forced to fund a 4-year party/vacation for people of college age? As many kids now get degrees in useless fields, or spend more time partying than studying, this will just make it far, far worse. And the greed in the education industry will balloon even worse than it is today.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:46 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
I personally don't care.
I paid my loans off years ago.

We are bailing out the banks on a constant basis with QE and $500 billion Dollar Repo Purchases as well as the bail outs in 2008.

That is bailing out the wealthy on a constant basis where most of the wealthy hold their money.

Forgive every student loan and underwater house owner. I do not care.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I personally don't care.
I paid my loans off years ago.

We are bailing out the banks on a constant basis with QE and $500 billion Dollar Repo Purchases as well as the bail outs in 2008.

That is bailing out the wealthy on a constant basis where most of the wealthy hold their money.

Forgive every student loan and underwater house owner. I do not care.
How much more of your money are you willing to hand over in additional taxes to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies