Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Okay so Whitefield (interesting name BTW ) doesn't like a cake that demonstrates acceptance of people that Whitefield doesn't like.
Private institutions can set their own rules. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
You first.
Show us how you care about how this student was ostracized by that "Christian school" for having a cake of many colors.
I don’t care. Not one bit. Her parents chose to send her to a religious private school with a myriad of nutty rules that the daughter apparently had difficulty following. That’s on them. It’s neither my care or my concern; it’s between the parents and the school. It’s not the business of anyone else.

As Volo said above: “voluntary association is voluntary”.

Ok, your turn. Share with us why you hold so much compassion for this child.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 01-15-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
OK, from the wonderful world of "Relevant Facts and How They Shape Reality", I bring you the following related to this case:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield Academy "Parent and Student Handbook", Page 8, #5
Whitefieldians must meet community expectations and the high ethical standard of Christian citizenship expected of a Whitefieldian. Violations of general expectations for proper conduct laid out in this handbook comprise a Major School Rule violation. These include but are not limited to, “Standards of Christian Conduct,” and the “Statement on Marriage, Sexuality and Gender Identity.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield Academy "Parent and Student Handbook", Page 8, addendum
Enrollment at Whitefield constitutes a student’s acceptance of these rules as the guiding principles for proper conduct and recognition of the possible consequences of their violation.

The school reserves the right to alter, change, or amend any of these rules at any time without prior notice, and to take such action as it believes is in the best interest of the school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield Academy "Parent and Student Handbook", Page 12, Section D
Sexuality

The Biblical standard for expressing sexual behavior is heterosexual marriage. Scripture explicitly rules out pre-marital and extra-marital sex, and homosexual sexual activity. While Christians must exhibit compassion to those whose sexual behavior the Bible describes as sinful, they are not to support any public policy or view that legitimizes such sinful behavior as an appropriate lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield Academy "Parent and Student Handbook", Page 13, Standards of Christian Conduct, in part
Students, by virtue of their enrollment, agree to live within the framework of the school’s Biblical standards of conduct. Agreeing to these standards obligates the student to assume responsibility for honorable adherence to them while under the jurisdiction of the school
Any behavior, either on or off campus, that indicates a student has little desire to live a life honoring to God, or any conduct that gives evidence of disregard for the spirit of the school standards, especially violations of the Seven Major School Rules (p.8), is sufficient cause for disciplinary action, including suspension or expulsion.
The school generally follows the discipline procedures contained in this Handbook. However, there are circumstances in which the school administration may determine that it is appropriate not to follow progressive discipline steps. In cases in which a student has engaged in egregious, immoral, or other unacceptable behavior, the school reserves the right to suspend or expel the student immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefield Academy "Parent and Student Handbook", Page 39, "Agreement for Students in Grades 7 through 12"
Please read the following statements, sign below to indicate your agreement, and return to the office.

I hereby affirm that I have read the Parent and Student Handbook. I certify that I consent to and will submit to all governing policies of the school, including all applicable policies in the Parent and Student Handbook.

I understand that the standards of the school do not tolerate profanity, obscenity in word or action, dishonor to the Holy Trinity and the Word of God, disrespect to the personnel of the school, or continued disobedience to the established policies of the school.

I understand that admission to the school is a privilege, not a right, and that any behavior, either on or off campus, which is not consistent with the school’s standards could result in the loss of that privilege.
OK, so to attend this school, both student and parents must read and acknowledge all this, and the student actually signs their affirmation that they have done so.

This, boys and girls, is what a contractual voluntary association looks like. It is purely voluntary, and both parties have their terms explicitly spelled out. In the case of this student, she clearly violated their rules and per the voluntary agreement, the school ended the association, an action for which they had every explicit right.

This might rub the social justice warriors and anti-Christian thugs the wrong way, but it is a perfect example of how proper voluntary associations are formed as well as ended. Literally nothing incorrect occurred here, other than the student's behavior as gauged by the written and agreed upon behavior standards the school published and that the student read, accepted and acknowledged before ever entering into the association.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
As Photog Joe said above: “voluntary association is voluntary”.
Actually, it was me, not Photog Joe.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:44 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
OK, from the wonderful world of "Relevant Facts and How They Shape Reality", I bring you the following related to this case:

OK, so to attend this school, both student and parents must read and acknowledge all this, and the student actually signs their affirmation that they have done so.

This, boys and girls, is what a contractual voluntary association looks like. It is purely voluntary, and both parties have their terms explicitly spelled out. In the case of this student, she clearly violated their rules and per the voluntary agreement, the school ended the association, an action for which they had every explicit right.

This might rub the social justice warriors and anti-Christian thugs the wrong way, but it is a perfect example of how proper voluntary associations are formed as well as ended. Literally nothing incorrect occurred here, other than the student's behavior as gauged by the written and agreed upon behavior standards the school published and that the student read, accepted and acknowledged before ever entering into the association.

Actually, it was me, not Photog Joe.
Doh! Correction made, and hey - we can’t let the thread end before jojajn returns to express why he/she cares so much. I’m sure that post is coming any minute now.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I completely agree with the principle of voluntary association. But I take exception with your assertion that "literally nothing incorrect occurred here." If the report is accurate, the school expelled this student for the "offense" of wearing a rainbow-themed shirt and eating a rainbow-themed cake. The charge of promoting the LGBTQ lifestyle is completely bogus, in that the color patterns looked nothing at all like the "gay pride flag." Furthermore, the school brings dishonor to God by punishing someone for displaying a color palate that represents God's own covenant with mankind -- as if displaying the sign of God's covenant is in someway shameful or wrong.

If the school was just looking for an excuse to expel a troublemaker, so be it. But they should have given an excuse that doesn't imply that someone is being punished for associating themselves with a symbol of God's covenant. That makes the school look like they've caved into the gay movement's co-opting of the rainbow symbol.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Doh! Correction made, and hey - we can’t let the thread end before jojajn returns to express why he/she cares so much. I’m sure that post is coming any minute now.
Maybe, but the facts of this purely voluntary association are facts. It may gripe people off to no end that when one party violates the terms of a voluntary contract, the other party actually upholds the terms of that contract and severs the association, but that is absolutely, perfectly within the freedom of voluntary association, property rights and every concept of "contract."

Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Parents found the rule, bought the cake and had lawyers and media on speed dial.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I completely agree with the principle of voluntary association. But I take exception with your assertion that "literally nothing incorrect occurred here." If the report is accurate, the school expelled this student for the "offense" of wearing a rainbow-themed shirt and eating a rainbow-themed cake. The charge of promoting the LGBTQ lifestyle is completely bogus, in that the color patterns looked nothing at all like the "gay pride flag." Furthermore, the school brings dishonor to God by punishing someone for displaying a color palate that represents God's own covenant with mankind -- as if displaying the sign of God's covenant is in someway shameful or wrong.

If the school was just looking for an excuse to expel a troublemaker, so be it. But they should have given an excuse that doesn't imply that someone is being punished for associating themselves with a symbol of God's covenant. That makes the school look like they've caved into the gay movement's co-opting of the rainbow symbol.
Read the rules. They don't need much in the way of an excuse, and people have to willingly submit to their rules in order to form the association. It even says, in the addendum on page 8, that "The school reserves the right to alter, change, or amend any of these rules at any time without prior notice, and to take such action as it believes is in the best interest of the school."

That is crazy amounts of latitude they present and demand that students accept and acknowledge. But there it is, in the black and white. If it rubs you the wrong way, then don't send your kids there.

PS - debating the written rules with a prep school that has a curriculum based on the Great Books, the trivium, the quadrivium, and the Progymnasmata...yeah, good luck with that.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Quote:
I can get on board with no Juul cartridges but the school did not expel this student for that. The school ultimately expelled her for posting a birthday picture of her with her multi-colored birthday cake.
WTF is a Juul cartridge/pod ? I swear I can't keep up … I keep envisioning a Tide Pod.

(goes off to Google for edumacation)

Edited to add: Oh those faux cigarette thingies; "Vaping".

Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you don't prescribe to a particular faith, why are you there?
How is a rainbow cake against Christianity?

I've visited a few Christian churches out of curiosity, and almost all of them were super pro LGBT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies