Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US is unwilling to impose harsh consequences and instead, persists on the failed War on Drugs. No one wants to see their child publicly executed because they are addicted to drugs.
That ^^^ is not true. The 70's saw a huge shift to harsh drug laws spearheaded by Rockefeller in New York. Dealers were sentenced to mandatory life without parole. Users went to prison for long stretches. Since children were exempt from the harsh sentences, dealers would hire kids to hold the drugs for them and to take the fall. People with money could skirt the harsh sentences with clever lawyers so the prisons ended up being filled with poor black people. After 25 years it became apparent that this approach was a failure as it did little to slow the use of drugs and hence the current interest in decriminalization of drug use.

My personal feeling is that getting people off drugs requires a carrot and a stick and if decriminalization takes away the stick, there is less motivation for the user to quit. We will always have substance abusers so it is folly to think we can cure that so the goal here is to minimize the damage that substance abusers do to the rest of us. If someone gets high on whatever he wants and never steals to pay for it and never leaves his house and does not try to raise kids while stoned, I don't care. But if that person is affecting me, than the public needs to be protected from that by whatever means is necessary. I have not seen any proposals for legalizing drugs that doesn't have a bad effect on the rest of us.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM

17,614 posts, read 6,898,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not disagreeing there are likely some politicians who advocate for open borders. I don’t know who they are. Do you?

I think The Wall is one big fat Federal Government boondoggle. Does this mean I am in favor of open borders?

So long as US employers continue to employ and engage undocumented people, they will come. And many legally entered the US and don’t leave. Then there are those who arrive, work and return home before their visas expire. Rinse and repeat.

I am opposed to Birthright citizenship.

I strongly favor EVerify of all employees and contractors. No exception. No excused.

I strongly favor imposing eye- popping harsh consequences on those who employ/ engage undocumented labor.

I oppose sanctuary cities/ counties/ states. Having said this, the Federal Government should reimburse local governments for detaining undocumented people, charged with a crime.
You may have those positions, but the Democrats you're voting for do not. They are all for open borders and their actions prove it time and time again.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You may have those positions, but the Democrats you're voting for do not. They are all for open borders and their actions prove it time and time again.
Look at the past decade...regardless whether a dem or repub was in office at any given time...the drugs were flowing in like water at ALL times!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The cities are full of that too. Even more so due to the denser population. Small towns see it more because well, they are smaller and it's concentrated into smaller places. Less doctors, pharmacies, etc.
That’s a fantasy.

The drug overdose and suicide crisis is PRIMARILY a rural problem in this country, not a big city one. You’re obviously way out of the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Source? Look at where the concentration of crime, drug dealers, overdoses, addicts, homeless, etc. Yes, there are many rural junkies, but the largest numbers are in the big cities by far. What do the cities do? Enable the addicts by giving free syringes, and sometimes even free drug or drug substitutes. Their rationale is that the addicts will shoot up anyway, so its better they have a clean place, and clean syringes to slow the spread of AIDS and other diseases.
The big city is the big city because people are concentrated there. SMH...you’re not making any sense.

Again for the millionth time, the opioid and suicide crisis is mostly rural in this country by a mile. And suicide is primarily hitting white males harder than any other group by a mile.

Deal with the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not true.

Largest per 100K residents: Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maine, New Hampshire seem to be leading the pack. Lot of rural areas, and Ohio rural areas are well known for the hard drug problems. West Virginia has 3 times more opioid deaths than NY, and nearly 5 times more than California.

What do the rural areas do? Free burials? No, they do the same things.

Where does your fear of city people stem from?
They just can’t get over the new reality. They’re so used to thinking that these problems will only ever affect inner city blacks. That this is no longer true is causing them MAJOR cognitive dissonance. They can’t process it.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s a fantasy.

The drug overdose and suicide crisis is PRIMARILY a rural problem in this country, not a big city one. You’re obviously way out of the loop.

The big city is the big city because people are concentrated there. SMH...you’re not making any sense.

Again for the millionth time, the opioid and suicide crisis is mostly rural in this country by a mile. And suicide is primarily hitting white males harder than any other group by a mile.

Deal with the truth.

They just can’t get over the new reality. They’re so used to thinking that these problems will only ever affect inner city blacks. That this is no longer true is causing them MAJOR cognitive dissonance. They can’t process it.
lol You don't care about the truth.

Here is the truth for you - the average drug mortality rates are highest in large metro counties, and increased most since 2000. The rates decline the further one moves away from urban areas.

"Compared to urban counties, the average rate for most rural ones was 6.2 fewer deaths per 100,000 people in the 2014 to 2016 time period.

both economic conditions and drug supply were related to higher mortality rates."

“What that means is that drug mortality rates aren’t higher in economically distressed places simply because they’ve had a greater supply of opioid prescribing there,” she said. “There’s something about economic distress in and of itself that helps to explain the variation that we’re seeing across the country and the magnitude of the drug crisis.”

" Generally, economic distress seemed to be a stronger determinant in rural areas, whereas in urban areas, it was the supply of drugs. But the effect of these factors was not observed just within county lines. Local economies are interconnected, which means that economic downturn has ripple effects beyond county lines, and drugs travel; that mean drug mortality may also spill over."

“It's no coincidence that widespread opioid prescribing first started in the most economically vulnerable places of the country—there was vulnerability there,” Monnat said. “These places had been primed to be vulnerable to opioids, which are drugs that numb both physical and mental pain, through decades of economic and social decline.”

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...-rural/582502/

Old 01-15-2020, 12:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Drugs, don't do em. Problem solved.
Precisely. And local governments are fast tracking legalizing all types of drugs in todays society, weed, shrooms, what's next? Crystal meth?

Eventually most of these users will all end up dead and/or with very short lived lives.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
The demand for opioids in US is so high, that it sells for up to 10X the price compared to some European countries. Its the narco's dream come true, although most of their profits still come from pot. Those rural country folks really have a taste for it.

https://www.statista.com/chart/18534...ted-countries/

Price per gram of heroin.

US: $307
UK: $64
Portugal: $30

Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Precisely. And local governments are fast tracking legalizing all types of drugs in todays society, weed, shrooms, what's next? Crystal meth?

Eventually most of these users will all end up dead and/or with very short lived lives.
Ill just copy paste my reply to another poster:

The reason why legalization is such a big issue is that people become incarcerated for none violent crimes.

And addicts need treatment and not incarceration.

Then there's the cartels which thrive on drugs being illegal.

Check this out(4:39 if it doesn't automatically link you there):
https://youtu.be/wJUXLqNHCaI?t=279

As a bonus, addiction and how it's a symptom of a bigger problem and it isn't always addiction to the stereotypical drug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8AHODc6phg

Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 AM

11 posts, read 4,590 times
Default overdose death

As an opiate addict I am scared to death of overdosing.
So just stop, you say
I wish it were that easy
The biggest problem is that fentanyl is so cheap it took no time for me to get to 10 grams a day. Easy to justify my use. I still function, I don't need to steal to afford $2/day. I'm only harming myself, right?
I'm afraid of ending up just another statistic

Old 01-16-2020, 05:30 AM

11 posts, read 4,590 times
Finn_Jarber

66,857 posts, read 36,042,526 times

The demand for opioids in US is so high, that it sells for up to 10X the price compared to some European countries. Its the narco's dream come true, although most of their profits still come from pot. Those rural country folks really have a taste for it.

https://www.statista.com/chart/18534...ted-countries/

Price per gram of heroin.

US: $307
UK: $64
Portugal: $30

Heroin may average $307/gram in the U.S. but China is flooding the market with cheap fentanyl
All my junky friends prefer heroin but it is cost prohibitive.
Legalization is the only thing that makes sense if you are concerned about overdose deaths
A consistant product
Just as with alcohol prohibition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies