Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
So what are the local convenience store and general store owners saying about the state jacking up minimum wage recently?? Well, among other effects, they will have to stop making their own sandwiches, salads, soups, baked goods, etc. that they sell. It’s much more expensive to pay the labor costs involved in making your own, versus buying pre-made crap from a wholesaler. So, hello crap that was made two weeks ago, 1,000 miles away. Goodbye homemade, fresh stuff.

Thanks a lot, liberals. What’s that?? You’ve never heard of “unintended consequences”??...
How does it feel to be treated as someone else's property?
Only your master can tell you, no you can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Dude, spare me. I’m talking about little places that are half c-store, half deli. There are tons of them around where I live. People like me who work our *ss off sometimes like to pop in and grab a freshly-made lunch when we have five minutes. And when you can watch them make the stuff with your own eyes, yeah.....that’s a pretty good indication that it’s fresh. Clown.

Maybe you never buy food....whatever.

And the workers who were making that stuff.... wonder what happens to THEM?....hhhmmm....
Just admit your post is stupid. Prices will go up slightly.

Most of those workers already make well above minimum wage to start with.

Last edited by whogo; 01-17-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Or get a better paying job designed to pay a living wage before you start a family.
Adults that plan on getting married and raising a family should set their goals at employment that is not making sandwiches in a convenience store for minimum wage.
25% of the population has an IQ below 90. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps is a fallacy. You do not make tech workers out of them and these are the people most likely to be replaced by automation.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does it feel to be treated as someone else's property?
Only your master can tell you, no you can't.
My master tells me my disabled wife’s niece can’t take care of her. How tyrannical is that?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
25% of the population has an IQ below 90. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps is a fallacy. You do not make tech workers out of them and these are the people most likely to be replaced by automation.
Then dont have kids you cant feed.
If you dont have ability to get a better job dont have a family.
I realize stuff happens, people already have families and wind up unemployed, underemployed, etc. But for those who have not yet got there, keep your life style within your means. Some jobs are meant for supplemental income, second income or for those whose primary living expenses are paid by someone else.

Apparently we are experiencing a labor shortage. This in itself will drive up wages. Maybe back to the point before the great influx of illegal alien low wage works stagnated wages.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Still waiting on a factual link that supports the OP. Per usual, it will never be provided.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:22 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Absolute truth.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
The rich libs can still buy their $12 fresh sandwich at Whole Foods or whatever other fru-fru place. The regular people (who Dems always claim to be speaking for) can now buy processed, packaged crap at the neighborhood general store....thanks to Dem policies.
Most neighborhood general stores were selling pre-made sandwiches. The few who make fresh sandwiches aren't going to stop, as long as customers want them. The price may increase, or they may charge more for other products, but as long as the products attract customers, they will offer the product.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Dude, spare me. I’m talking about little places that are half c-store, half deli. There are tons of them around where I live. People like me who work our *ss off sometimes like to pop in and grab a freshly-made lunch when we have five minutes. And when you can watch them make the stuff with your own eyes, yeah.....that’s a pretty good indication that it’s fresh. Clown.

Maybe you never buy food....whatever.

And the workers who were making that stuff.... wonder what happens to THEM?....hhhmmm....
Yep, this an example about how people's assumptions are sometimes way off, depending on where they have lived and what they experienced.

To be fair, if I had not lived in Maine for almost three years, I could have made the same post that you responded to! I had no idea there were any kind of convenience stores other than the 7-11 type until I moved to Maine! (Probably other states have them, too, but they aren't found in any of the big city suburbs where I have spent most of my life.)

Btw, I do miss those mom-and-pop general stores, but they were more expensive than many of the chain convenience stores -- at least that is what I found to be true.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yep, this an example about how people's assumptions are sometimes way off, depending on where they have lived and what they experienced.

To be fair, if I had not lived in Maine for almost three years, I could have made the same post that you responded to! I had no idea there were any kind of convenience stores other than the 7-11 type until I moved to Maine! (Probably other states have them, too, but they aren't found in any of the big city suburbs where I have spent most of my life.)

Btw, I do miss those mom-and-pop general stores, but they were more expensive than many of the chain convenience stores.
Suburbs generally don't have convenience stores. In fact, I can't recall seeing any in my hometown suburb or the suburbs around my city. But the city, yes, plenty of convenience stores. And the majority of them do not have a deli counter. Most of them are grab n go or they sell "nachos", precooked ground beef that tastes horrid & is usually gray in color, with some pump cheese, and a few toppings. Also, the food prepared at these deli counters has never been cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies