Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 PM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ban guns on capitol grounds. No need for those protesters to have them.
Well there ya go. The bill of needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,526,924 times
How many protestors are there in Richmond.

(this isn't the US Capital as some of you falsely believe)

Old 01-16-2020, 03:48 PM

19,709 posts, read 10,057,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I hope you never have to see what those "lying, stupid surgeons" see. I wish I could unsee the smashed and shredded organs irreparably damaged by a weapon such as those you defend and whose devastatingly different damage you deny.

You see, I am a former ED/OR/ICU nurse and during one absolutely horrendous nightmarish shift, I frantically hung unit after unit after unit after countless units of blood into one of those bodies you so cavalierly dismiss with phony self-serving arguments. The blood just could not be replaced fast enough. My friend, the stupid, lying surgeon, knew we wouldn't make a difference because this was not one of those usual type of gunshot wounds. We nurses couldn't get the blood in fast enough, rapid transfusers, large bore IVs and many hands pumping and pushing everything. The physician, a former military surgeon, knew he was helpless and our efforts ineffective, even as he desperately tried...nothing left to repair. Nothing.

Stuff it, Floorist. You know naught of which you speak.
I know the size hole a 223 puts in a body and it is not large.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ban guns on capitol grounds. No need for those protesters to have them.
No need for the police to have them either then.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh, a fence. That sounds completely bullet proof.
You've missed part of the point for the State of Emergency. That also means that there will be 100's of VA State Troopers on the site who would've had the day off otherwise. That's a lot of OT going to be spent. If $3.1 million was spent for the Charlottesville anniversary, the dollar amount going to be spent is going to be higher than that amount. It's way far than the $33,000 Charlottesville spent on it's LEO's.

https://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...d8465c7f0.html

https://wina.com/news/064460-kkk-ral...33000-dollars/

Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I hope you never have to see what those "lying, stupid surgeons" see. I wish I could unsee the smashed and shredded organs irreparably damaged by a weapon such as those you defend and whose devastatingly different damage you deny.

You see, I am a former ED/OR/ICU nurse and during one absolutely horrendous nightmarish shift, I frantically hung unit after unit after unit after countless units of blood into one of those bodies you so cavalierly dismiss with phony self-serving arguments. The blood just could not be replaced fast enough. My friend, the stupid, lying surgeon, knew we wouldn't make a difference because this was not one of those usual type of gunshot wounds. We nurses couldn't get the blood in fast enough, rapid transfusers, large bore IVs and many hands pumping and pushing everything. The physician, a former military surgeon, knew he was helpless and our efforts ineffective, even as he desperately tried...nothing left to repair. Nothing.

Stuff it, Floorist. You know not of what you speak.
Devastatingly different damage?" Sooo...as a nurse you saw firsthand how a particular firearm used made the ammunition put into it perform in a different manner than another firearm using the same ammunition?

I wonder how it is that someone intelligent enough to hold certification in medical areas could actually believe that possible. There is no firearm made now or ever that does anything to somehow alter the performance of the ammunition put into it.

What you are claiming as firsthand fact is the same as saying someone killed by a car is going to be less dead than someone killed on a motorcycle. It makes about the same sense.

The type of firearm a particular ammunition is fired from does NOT do a thing to how that ammunition behaves downrange. Oh certain mechanical things can effect accuracy but nothing else.

If I fire a standard 62 grain 5.56 projectile from an AR 15/M16 into a target of any kind, living or not, it will do NOTHING different than it would fired from a bolt action rifle like a Remington VTR. NOTHING. At all different.

I dont know what it is you think you saw....but it wasnt because of any particular weapon that fired the projectiles. I really have no idea how this complete misinformation was put out, or how it has come to be accepted as fact but it is much more than just erroneous. It is an outright falsehood.

The truth is that the M 16 (military version of the AR 15) chambers the most anaemic cartridge ever used by the US military in a primary rifle. And military type ammunition is the least lethal type of ammunition that can be used.

And I know full well what I'm talking about. Floorist is not in error at all. As I said I have no idea what it is you think or were told you saw. But I do know very well it was not what you think or were led to believe.

I had a similar encounter with a poster on this same subject a while back. He put up a link to an article where a doctor supposedly with battlefield experience and I just couldn't even believe what this guy was saying.

Literally in total defiance of all the laws of physics and of plain common sense to boot. (sigh)

Old 01-16-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Devastatingly different damage?" Sooo...as a nurse you saw firsthand how a particular firearm used made the ammunition put into it perform in a different manner than another firearm using the same ammunition?

I wonder how it is that someone intelligent enough to hold certification in medical areas could actually believe that possible. There is no firearm made now or ever that does anything to somehow alter the performance of the ammunition put into it.

What you are claiming as firsthand fact is the same as saying someone killed by a car is going to be less dead than someone killed on a motorcycle. It makes about the same sense.

The type of firearm a particular ammunition is fired from does NOT do a thing to how that ammunition behaves downrange. Oh certain mechanical things can effect accuracy but nothing else.

If I fire a standard 62 grain 5.56 projectile from an AR 15/M16 into a target of any kind, living or not, it will do NOTHING different than it would fired from a bolt action rifle like a Remington VTR. NOTHING. At all different.

I dont know what it is you think you saw....but it wasnt because of any particular weapon that fired the projectiles. I really have no idea how this complete misinformation was put out, or how it has come to be accepted as fact but it is much more than just erroneous. It is an outright falsehood.

The truth is that the M 16 (military version of the AR 15) chambers the most anaemic cartridge ever used by the US military in a primary rifle. And military type ammunition is the least lethal type of ammunition that can be used.

And I know full well what I'm talking about. Floorist is not in error at all. As I said I have no idea what it is you think or were told you saw. But I do know very well it was not what you think or were led to believe.

I had a similar encounter with a poster on this same subject a while back. He put up a link to an article where a doctor supposedly with battlefield experience and I just couldn't even believe what this guy was saying.

Literally in total defiance of all the laws of physics and of plain common sense to boot. (sigh)
I spent 13 months in Vietnam. I had some of my unit drop beside me. I shot some on the other side. I agree with what you say. We were using the M 16, most of them were using Chinese versions of other rifles. None had big holes in them. Some ammo did tumble but that was because of a defect in the 16. That tumble decreased velocity and accuracy.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,632,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

More of the same BS.....

OF COURSE if you fire the same projectile from a similar length of barrel with similar rifling the effect will be similar.

No one denies this.

AND, of course it was designed for light weight.....so a solider could carry and fire more rounds without as heavy of a load.

But the projectile itself is designed specifically to do harm to the human body in certain ways. Here is just one profile of what a nurse or doc would be dealing with inside a human being:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×...ballistics.gif

The initial cavity is about 30 x 15/20 cm or 10" by 6". Note the size of the bullet in relation to the damage done.

The Human body is a delicate thing. One small nick of a blood vessel or bowel is enough to kill....slowly and painfully. Carving baseball size cavities at high speed inside us is just not a good thing.

It's not a "beat your chest" thing of who knows the most about how much damage is done. That was well proven in Las Vegas and in many other shootings.

The really simple situation here is that with a bolt action rifle the Las Vegas and Pulse and some other shootings would have done vastly less damage. Another consideration is the legality or quasi-legality and need for certain ammo "flavors".

In any case, this thread is about Public Safety and I'd support the banning of large knives, swords, nightsticks and other weapons in a protest at a Government (and many other) facilities. Most people would support them same.

Whether your member......ship....or your bullet or arsenal is bigger or smaller than mine or a Neo-Nazis is not the point. Women, children and government officials and the Press and many others will be there unarmed and to allow those Neo-Nazis and other radicals to parade around with semi-auto rifles or even pistols is nuts.

Any gun nut who is experiencing withdraw can go to a range nearby and have fun.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
More of the same BS.....

OF COURSE if you fire the same projectile from a similar length of barrel with similar rifling the effect will be similar.

No one denies this.

AND, of course it was designed for light weight.....so a solider could carry and fire more rounds without as heavy of a load.

But the projectile itself is designed specifically to do harm to the human body in certain ways. Here is just one profile of what a nurse or doc would be dealing with inside a human being:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×...ballistics.gif

The initial cavity is about 30 x 15/20 cm or 10" by 6". Note the size of the bullet in relation to the damage done.

The Human body is a delicate thing. One small nick of a blood vessel or bowel is enough to kill....slowly and painfully. Carving baseball size cavities at high speed inside us is just not a good thing.

It's not a "beat your chest" thing of who knows the most about how much damage is done. That was well proven in Las Vegas and in many other shootings.

The really simple situation here is that with a bolt action rifle the Las Vegas and Pulse and some other shootings would have done vastly less damage. Another consideration is the legality or quasi-legality and need for certain ammo "flavors".

In any case, this thread is about Public Safety and I'd support the banning of large knives, swords, nightsticks and other weapons in a protest at a Government (and many other) facilities. Most people would support them same.

Whether your member......ship....or your bullet or arsenal is bigger or smaller than mine or a Neo-Nazis is not the point. Women, children and government officials and the Press and many others will be there unarmed and to allow those Neo-Nazis and other radicals to parade around with semi-auto rifles or even pistols is nuts.

Any gun nut who is experiencing withdraw can go to a range nearby and have fun.
More BS. I saw soldiers shot and none had a 6" x 10" hole. I saw it close up enough to help carry them.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:17 PM

25,470 posts, read 12,587,741 times
Close up shotgun blasts make big holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies