Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the NRA and politicians don't support common sense gun control laws, expect more of this!
I keep warning the gun nuts that if they don't bring common sense gun control measures to the table, circumstances will eventually dictate extreme gun control measures.
None of that follows.

First, the supposed "common sense" of further gun control laws is a political propaganda term. It means nothing other than "agree to my party's policies".

And literally everyone knows that there is no end for the communists when it comes to gun control laws. Anything that is agreed to now becomes taken for granted in the near future, and then the nation is treated to a new round of what you are trying to do here.

If liberals try to be heavy handed over this, they'll get the political pushback they are after. There is no winning on this issue by attempting to institute anticonstitutional "extreme gun control measures". Threaten all that you like. Though, we both know that your actual action will be limited.

Last, your "gun nuts" line is against the forum TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 07:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what could possibly go wrong? There's a gun rights rally and people from all over the country who are angry are coming with their guns.

First off, this is Virginia's vote. It's a state issue. People from West Virginia, for example? STAY home. Let Virginia residents say what they want to say, it's not a national issue. Second, you don't need to "carry" to come to a rally and be heard or protest.

There's too much volatility and anger on both sides for this issue. I think it's wise to keep the guns off the capital grounds. They need to do whatever they can do to minimize danger during this rally.
Gee, if only liberals would STAY home whenever there is an issue to protest that they feel strongly about. What's good for the goose and all of that.

This is a free nation in which liberals prior decided to toss out every type of community social standard and meaningful social fabric. They wanted a free for all and they got it. You trying to advise people to not do something that is legal because you thinks its somehow civically correct not to do it is tone deaf to decades of progressive social messaging.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:29 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I hope you never have to see what those "lying, stupid surgeons" see. I wish I could unsee the smashed and shredded organs irreparably damaged by a weapon such as those you defend and whose devastatingly different damage you deny.

You see, I am a former ED/OR/ICU nurse and during one absolutely horrendous nightmarish shift, I frantically hung unit after unit after unit after countless units of blood into one of those bodies you so cavalierly dismiss with phony self-serving arguments. The blood just could not be replaced fast enough. My friend, the stupid, lying surgeon, knew we wouldn't make a difference because this was not one of those usual type of gunshot wounds. We nurses couldn't get the blood in fast enough, rapid transfusers, large bore IVs and many hands pumping and pushing everything. The physician, a former military surgeon, knew he was helpless and our efforts ineffective, even as he desperately tried...nothing left to repair. Nothing.

Stuff it, Floorist. You know naught of which you speak.
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China ? Firearms can and do damage.

What is your point ?

Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China ? Firearms can and do damage.

What is your point ?
The post tou responded to with this made one point abundantly clear to me. That some feel ends justify means so misinformation and out right lies are therefore OK.

That isnt the first time I've seen the ",surgeon testimonial" bit. The last poster who pulled that on me actually linked it. Didnt make it anymore credible but he did link it.

It never ceases to amaze me how just plumb daffy anti firearms ownership rhetoric has become. All these wild claims about the destructive capabilities of certain firearms. If half of it, hell a thousandth of it, were actually true folks could take on heavy armor head on with ARs and come out on top.

We could all hunt the largest and most dangerous animals on the planet with our AR 15s. And one shot would be all we'd need.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I hope you never have to see what those "lying, stupid surgeons" see. I wish I could unsee the smashed and shredded organs irreparably damaged by a weapon such as those you defend and whose devastatingly different damage you deny.

You see, I am a former ED/OR/ICU nurse and during one absolutely horrendous nightmarish shift, I frantically hung unit after unit after unit after countless units of blood into one of those bodies you so cavalierly dismiss with phony self-serving arguments. The blood just could not be replaced fast enough. My friend, the stupid, lying surgeon, knew we wouldn't make a difference because this was not one of those usual type of gunshot wounds. We nurses couldn't get the blood in fast enough, rapid transfusers, large bore IVs and many hands pumping and pushing everything. The physician, a former military surgeon, knew he was helpless and our efforts ineffective, even as he desperately tried...nothing left to repair. Nothing.

Stuff it, Floorist. You know naught of which you speak.
I think you need to do some research. Look up videos or pics of bullets hitting ballistic gel. They will demonstrate to you how a bullet behaves when it hits a body. Doctors are incredibly smart, but that hardly makes them experts on ballistics.

Hydrostatic shock. Look it up. That is what destroys the soft tissue. Now what does that? The kinetic energy. The kinetic energy of a .223 or a 5.56 is fairly low. A .223 or the 5.56 will do a through and through unless they hit bone.

Bullets are not designed to tumble. A tumbling bullet is inaccurate and dumps speed, therefore dumping energy too quickly. A poorly made weapon might produce tumbling.

Shot placement. The smaller the bore, the smaller the bullet, the greater the need for accurate shot placement.

I won't call your friend a liar or stupid. I will say misinformed if he thinks bullets are designed to tumble. Expand yes, tumble no.
To put things in perspective, If I am to be shot, I would rather be shot by that .223 than an arrow, or a .50 cal flintlock revolutionary war era rifle, or a 45-70 Wild West era rifle.

I am very respectful of the medical profession. I have benefitted greatly from professionals who work the ER to the CCU or ICU. I don't mean to insult or belittle you in any way.

As for VA's ban? Up to the people of VA. You get what you accept.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Lot of words, but explain how it is "projection" when a Vet (who knows guns) posts a pic of an AR-I5 hole in a piece of steel (or similar) and says this is what it does...and said post says anyone who says or thinks otherwise is ignorant?

I'd say that is propaganda. It's like saying an Atomic Bomb isn't very big because the case isn't and if we dropped it on a enclosed stadium it would only make a small hole in the roof. Period.

Believe it or not, educated Americans learn about Kinetic energy and such things in grade or middle school. In the 1960's, when I was a young teen, everyone knew exactly why the M-16 was designed as it was....and virtually no one (or very few) had or wanted one. Yet, of course, there were more hunters then.....

I'm not debating the right to self-defense. I'm simply saying that lying to people by omission purposely is not the proper way to discuss a subject. One could use the same examples on the other "side". When people blindly quote gun deaths without considering purposeful and considered suicides they are "lying" in a sense, although they are often lying from lack of knowledge.

But when an Infantryman posts a tiny hole and says that's what an AR with the good ammo does...that's complete BS, no matter how many words one might want to use to cover up the facts. As I said, results matter. Ask the surgeons. They know better than most anyone else.

Your other points are outside the scope of the debate...that is, handguns and stuff.
Wow, talk about being disingenuous. Handguns or rifles are still guns, both subject to the 2nd Amendment, and the confiscation designs of the anti-2A left.
When most all the Democrats (your party) want gun control and point to and extol the virtues of countries who actually confiscated guns from their citizens, it matters not whether it is a handgun or rifle. Hillary and other (D's) applauded Australia and New Zealand's gun confiscation from law abiding citizens, and I have little doubt you feel the same way.
In their Utopian dream of a world, no guns would be in the hands of regular law abiding citizens.

That said, you go on about small holes and the like as if I and other gun owners are trying to pull the wool over naive peoples eyes.
I already said a tiny .22 makes a tiny hole in a human being, yet can still kill them. Heck if a BB were to penetrate certain portions of a person and rupture an artery, it could kill as well.

That of course is missing the point, as the .223 round is certainly lethal. I guess your atomic bomb comment is akin to the Trump is like Hitler nonsense you have proffered as rational thought before.
Frankly, your constant anti-Trump and Republican threads give a clear picture of how partisan you are. To think you might be willing or capable of a rational discussion about firearms was a futile hope, that your responses in this thread prove to be false.

`

Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Virginia senate passed three gun laws:

* Mandatory background checks on all purchases
* Law allowing cities and towns to ban guns at public events
* Handgun purchases limited to one per month

What's to protest? These are good laws that enhance public safety while not restricting anyone's right to own a gun.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpintennis View Post
Ehhh, I don't like guns but limiting handguns to one per month?

That's a bit of infringement
Yup, No more BOGO sales.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It doesn't matter as there is a fence around Capitol Square itself and are adding more fences in order to create checkpoints. Furthermore the ban played out on the courts and a Richmond judge denied pro-gun groups’ motion to overturn Capitol Square firearm ban.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2020...apitol-square/
Theres NO WAY they could check every single person, that would be totally impractical, they will likely check as many as they can , but they cannot check everyone.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:30 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the NRA and politicians don't support common sense gun control laws, expect more of this!

I keep warning the gun nuts that if they don't bring common sense gun control measures to the table, circumstances will eventually dictate extreme gun control measures.

There is no such thing. Why don't we start with common sense felon control? Maybe stop releasing criminals to prey on the public, stop importing criminals, stop decriminalizing theft. Nothing a democrat believes in is common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies