Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 11:54 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Pocahontas has been dead for over 400 years. It’s remarkable that she’s voicing her opinion on housing policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 12:29 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As you type on your electronic device made of clay and leaves.

Oh the hypocrisy.
And that one would scream bloody murder if said device was taxed a nickel to actually help fight climate change.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Like Bloomberg now claiming he'll lower drug costs.

Yeah right. Please tell me how?
Trump said he was too, now is that working out?

Old 01-19-2020, 01:47 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
This is the next thing surely coming down the pike. Muli-story higher density buildings plopped down in a single family residential neighborhood. Better hope you live in a HOA if you want to keep your lower density neighborhood.
It is already happening in my neighborhood. They have razed several homes and stuffed condos into some tiny lots. They have also built large apartment projects in the business/residential zoned areas. There are no HOAs. Someone it would appear arsoned their home in order to sell it to a developer.

It would be fine with me if they razed the whole area and built condos or whatever as long as they paid a premium for my property. But instead, they are mostly buying empty lots (hence the burning of the old house) or really bad/vacant homes to take down. It isn't a hot area but still considered to be in dire need of new housing. Why? it's a small boring town, not a Hot city or even edging a hot city.

Average single family homes are stuck in the middle of this. The infrastructure isn't set up for such density and no plans to improve it by the town. It has actually gotten worse as heavy traffic deteriorates roads with more noise, pollution and accidents. The neighbors are in denial or don't care. They don't seem to upkeep their homes very well anymore either. Maybe they gave up.

Yeah we "got ours" alright as they say. So greedy, our prop values are not up much, and on top of that they are ruining the quality of life.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Wealthy people like Warren don't care if working class people can't afford homes.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good point.

Family oral histories are notoriously unreliable. I spent 20 years and wasted 1,000s of hours chasing a ghost.

But, the issue here is that even after it was discovered her family history was fatally flawed, she continued to maintain the facade.

Here, just for you:

Spatial Analysis and Satellite Imagery in a GIS In this course, you will learn how to analyze map data using different data types and methods to answer geographic questions.
Install Google Earth and pick a city and I'll teach you to apply spatial analysis to urban geography.
First, I'll have to instruct you in Physics: two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

That's important, because you cannot build houses where houses already exist.

I know that's a difficult concept for many to grasp, but I'm sure if we work together I can get you to understand it.
It wasn't discovered that her family history was fatally flawed. Her family history said that a grandmother about three generations back was Native American, and the genetic testing confirmed that she had a Native American ancestor several generations back.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is already happening in my neighborhood. They have razed several homes and stuffed condos into some tiny lots. They have also built large apartment projects in the business/residential zoned areas. There are no HOAs. Someone it would appear arsoned their home in order to sell it to a developer.

It would be fine with me if they razed the whole area and built condos or whatever as long as they paid a premium for my property. But instead, they are mostly buying empty lots (hence the burning of the old house) or really bad/vacant homes to take down. It isn't a hot area but still considered to be in dire need of new housing. Why? it's a small boring town, not a Hot city or even edging a hot city.

Average single family homes are stuck in the middle of this. The infrastructure isn't set up for such density and no plans to improve it by the town. It has actually gotten worse as heavy traffic deteriorates roads with more noise, pollution and accidents. The neighbors are in denial or don't care. They don't seem to upkeep their homes very well anymore either. Maybe they gave up.

Yeah we "got ours" alright as they say. So greedy, our prop values are not up much, and on top of that they are ruining the quality of life.
What about zoning? Don't cities have zoning laws that regulate the density in neighborhoods? And when a developer comes along and wants to build something that exceeds the planned density, doesn't the city's ruling organizations (city council, city planning board) have to vote on the issue, and hear from citizens on the issue?

Old 01-20-2020, 08:25 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It wasn't discovered that her family history was fatally flawed. Her family history said that a grandmother about three generations back was Native American, and the genetic testing confirmed that she had a Native American ancestor several generations back.
What I didn't like about it was that she used her marginal Native American background for identifying as a Native American. I'm part Montaulk along with being a mostly Germish mutt with some British, Hungarian, Welsh, some French-Canadian among others (including two other Native American tribes.) That said, I would NEVER claim I am a Native American on any form. That is too far back from any family telling.

Then she had to do the whole "Bernie said 'No woman can win in 2020,'" comment to gain a pity vote.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:35 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
How is Warren going to have housing for these millions more of illegal aliens that will crash our border if she becomes president?

Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What about zoning? Don't cities have zoning laws that regulate the density in neighborhoods? And when a developer comes along and wants to build something that exceeds the planned density, doesn't the city's ruling organizations (city council, city planning board) have to vote on the issue, and hear from citizens on the issue?
It isn't a wealthy community and most residents are older and it seems they don't have the fight in them. The few who fight are shouted down, shamed or mocked (OK boomer). Town planners are "new people" from out of town and those out to line their own pockets. Zoning is spotty and they just change it on a whim. Developers and corrupt politicians have the power. This is what happens if citizens don't stay vigilant or maintain a tight community (or can't afford $$ lawyers to defend them).

Last edited by tamajane; 01-20-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies